Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Healthy amount of fats for thin people...
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 02:24PM

I am on the thin side, in the low weight, but still healthy range. I am 5'4 and 108 pounds, size zero. I have been completely raw now for a few weeks. For the previous few years I was about 50-75% raw. I feel good about going 100% and have seen improvements in my health (most notably more efficient digestion). People warn me that I will lose weight and be rail thin. Granted, they don't know anything about eating raw and already think I am too thin. I know I am not too thin because I have a healthy body fat percentage (which I measured recently). I have just always been thin (with a small frame), it's my body type and I take after my father. My weight never really fluctuates either. I have been leaning a little heavy on the fats (avocado, sprouted nuts & seeds, oils - coconut, olive, hemp, flax). Naturally I gravititate a little heavy on the oils, but at the same time I am not sure if part of it is these people warnings in my head about being too skinny. I am still experimenting to find what works for me. Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer any advice? Is it taxing on the body to eat too much off these types of foods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Healthy amount of fats for thin people...
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 16, 2008 02:52PM

I'm about the same size. I think you are fine. I tend to aim towards lower fat in general but I do have occasional high fat treats. Thinner people can get away with a higher intake of fats.

It's better to be thin.
[www.reuters.com]

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 16, 2008 03:44PM

You've been raw for so short a time, don't worry yet, just learn to eat and do so day to day before you start tweaking to any degree. This is my advice anyway. Learn to walk before you run ;O)

Chances are you will go down in weight at some point as a rebuilding stage, it will come back though, stick it out and take care of yourself. Think long term and overall.

Also, higher fats don't always mean more weight being put on for everyone. Some it is just the opposite. Don't use the SAD way of thinking when going raw.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 16, 2008 06:28PM

I am about your height and weight (a couple pounds heavier, about 110), and I am thin and muscular, so I would assume you're fine? Unless you're super thin and have large breasts and heavy hair (that was supposed to be funny).....

I eat a large amount of fat as well, fluctuating depending on my cycle, but about 15-20% of calories from fat, but some days (about 2/month) at 35% or higher.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 17, 2008 03:45PM

i'm the heavier raw girl- but since i'm also bearing children and breastfeeding i'm going to be okay with that- i'm 5'4" but weigh more like 125. even slim i weigh more than most b/c of my frame and heavier bones.

but when it comes to fat i listen to my body. i eat more when i need more, and less when i don't need it. i love the light, airy, free feeling i get when i go low fat for a short period. but i love the contentedness of eating avocadoes and nuts. variety- i love it.

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables