Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Just an update
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: May 21, 2008 10:46PM

I just wanted to post since I have been MIA for so long. (we were having major computer problems) I started 80-10-10 about four months or so ago and had also struggled immensely with an eating disorder. I had been trying to go 100% raw for a period of time prior to doing 80-10-10, but could not seem to stick with it.

Since starting and primarily living by 80-10-10 for the first month or so, I have completely transitioned into raw - 100% all the time. I NEVER WANT TO GO BACK!! In the months that have gone by, I have had sushi one time, and that consisted of about 5 teeny rolls. It was heavenly, but good enough to bring me back into it. I have SO MUCH energy, a great outlook on life, no binges, EVERYTHING in my body has regulated and is on even keel.

I have to say thank you to this group of people for the constant inspiration, support, and positive encouragement to stick with it and never give up regardless of the meal prior, day prior, or even cravings I was having at first. I am so passionate about raw food it is crazy! I LOVE IT!!! Thanks again, VF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just an update
Date: May 21, 2008 10:47PM

One question I might as well post here - does anyone have any experience with hair growing back after encorporating raw food? I have a friend who is going bald and is concerned. I told him to eat more raw foods and he thought I was crazy! Is there really a correlation?

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 21, 2008 11:02PM

I believe that raw doesn't regrow hair if it is male pattern baldness. It may, and this no one can say for sure, slow the fallout process though. Be suspicious of those who say they have regrown their hair. If anything, you will at least achieve healthier hair. This in turn can only help :O)

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 22, 2008 12:43AM

That's been my own experience. As the oldest boy - at 37 - I was going mostly bald. My hair slowly thickened...and ceased to recede...and I even grew some back. I've certainly got more hair now that either of my two younger brothers! Ha! ha! Just my experiences.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 22, 2008 03:28AM

I had a bout with stress before I was raw that made my hair start falling out in a very scary way (I'm 22/F)--and once I remedied the problem (moving out to live on my own), my hair grew back immediately.

Since I've been raw, my hair has been a little thicker, and a lot healthier looking--but I also started washing my hair with nothing but water.

Anyway, so, stress can be JUST as important as diet. And finding gentle hair products or eliminating them couldn't hurt? And, the obvious--giving your body the perfect fuel is certainly going to help any healing that needs to take place!

Congratulations on your progress, too. You're inspiring me to think more about 80/10/10 (fats are so yummy...). =D

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: May 22, 2008 04:20AM

gosh VF, that's amazing!!! okay, i'm going to order that damn book already... i just know its going to separate me from my beloved macnuts.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:35AM

hi veggie freak

beautiful

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 22, 2008 02:22PM

That is an inspirational update; thanks for sharing it. It adds support to my goals. smiling smiley Kudos to you, veggiefreak! Enjoy!

Date: May 24, 2008 02:44PM

Thanks everyone!! I cannot say thank you enough actually, for the way that I feel, the ongoing support, and the HUGE amount of information/resources I have available to me here at all times.

I could go on and on about the 80-10-10 as well, and now that I am 100% raw I don't follow it necessarily to a tee, but it was exactly what I needed to help me transition. And, I shouldn't say that I don't follow it - I do, but in the beginning I was fanatical about following his menu plans, weighing and measuring my food, entering it all into fitday or nutridiary, etc. Now I play around with what I am going to eat, to make it simpler or more complicated depending on what my body needs. For the first time in my whole life I feel that food no longer controls me, but that I can control what I put into my body. I can actually LISTEN to my body!!

I was asking the hair question about a friend, but I do know that since the raw transition, my hair has totally suffered. I have long, chemically treated hair (I know, sad smiley I know) that is now brittle, dry and definitely stunted in growth. Part of it is from pool damage - we swim A LOT! I have been putting olive oil on it, rinsing with vinegar and would love to hear if anyone else has a home remedey they can recommend. TIA! VF

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 24, 2008 02:55PM

Cut it. Once it's damaged there is no way to repair it. You can put fatty substances in to smooth down the cuticle but that's not fixing it.

Date: May 27, 2008 01:07PM

I was afraid of that sad smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 27, 2008 02:04PM

But if you do cut it, it will grow back all fresh and nice and new and shiny. =D

I know for me, it's game over when I get split ends. I heard coconut oil is supposed to be a great conditioner, though.

If there is a lot of chemical damage, you might want to consider reading the "no poo" threads we have around here, too. Just a thought. Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables