Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw fish
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 22, 2008 12:18AM

Hey, I'm wondering whether eating raw fish is ok? I can get some really nice raw herb sauteed salmon and I'm wondering whether it'd be ok or if it'd hurt me?

I am somewhat against animal killing, although I've eaten meat all my life I stopped after I got my dog and saw the range of emotions and intelligence they have. I am disgusted about how humans treat animals like objects but funnily enough I don't really feel strongly about fish.

Anywho, would it hurt my detox or my journey for superior health? I also want some protein because I'm into bodybuilding and I don't have access to a lot raw protein sources. Raw stuff here is very limited.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw fish
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 22, 2008 12:41AM

Remember that this is a vegan board - so the 'pat' answer is going to be no...fish is not ok...raw or otherwise. My personal experience is that I choose to avoid animal products of all kinds - but that is YOUR call. I certainly used to eat meats of all kinds...as well as raw fish. I feel my health has benefited immensely by foregoing these items.

-Do I feel that would eating raw fish would hurt your detox? You can certainly incorporate it....if you feel it would be of benefit to you....and report on your results. And you'll receive 100% support from me. I just don't think coming to a vegan board and asking for support of a non-vegan lifestyle is...umm....the most straightforward thing to do! LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 22, 2008 12:52AM

Fish are genetically very distant from us. I guess that's why a lot of people don't feel guilty eating them.

But they are intelligent. You can google "fish intelligence" and see how smart some of them are. Some experts have actually written books on their intelligence. They can also be taught tricks. Google "fish school".

They do feel pain. They struggle for life when they are caught.

The oceans are being overfished. It gets worse every year.

Fish farms are horrible places. They are packed tightly in cages too small for them to swim around much in, and the water is murky and thick with their sh*t. And geuss what they get fed? Yup, more fish.

These are some of the reasons why I do not eat fish. But it just plain old creeps me out: the thought of eating the flesh of a once living creature.

You can be a healthy vegan without fish. Get your B12 and D from pills. Get your omega3 from flax. Etc.

I don't think it will hurt you, though. To eat a little salmon, I mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 12:53AM by arugula.

Posted by: Context ()
Date: May 22, 2008 02:54AM

lol... absolutely nothing appeals to me about fish... I dont understand why we eat them at all

Date: May 22, 2008 05:45AM

They were part of the early human diet, this is pretty much indisputable. However, we're not allowed to discuss such things on this particular board. I prefer to cook my fish personally though arugula is right, it's not the most sustainable long-term choice (but much easier on my digestion than nuts).

Date: May 22, 2008 01:00PM

i have one word for you ~ parasites.
fish are full of wormy goodness, if that's what you're after.

Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: May 22, 2008 04:08PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i have one word for you ~ parasites.
> fish are full of wormy goodness, if that's what
> you're after.

Ewwww... why didn't you tell me that years ago before I quit eating fish? Oops, that's right, I didn't know ya back then, haha. j/k

Seriously though, if that doesn't deter people from eating raw fish, I'm not sure what would! Yuck!

Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: May 22, 2008 05:43PM

wait what do you mean by wormy goodness?

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: May 22, 2008 06:24PM

I ate some raw fish last year. My husband eats a lot of sashimi, being "typical" Japanese. And at some point, the tuna and the salmon started to look appealing to me. I also was feeling quite sick/stuck in a rut about my diet at that point.

So I gave it a go and at sashimi about 2-3 times a week. After 3 weeks, I felt more and more turned off by the fish. Week 4, all I could swallow was raw salmon. Shortly after that, all fish was probably the most disgusting thing anyone could offer me.

The only positive thing I can maybe say about it is that it didn't mess with my digestion as I thought it would. I had no bloating or gas or "fishy poo" as I had feared. Other than that, no health improvements, no extra stamina or what not...
In the end, it was worth to find out for myself, but I am cured of all cravings!

I'm doing the parastroy program right now, maybe that will kick out whoever came in during that time of fish eating!

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:44PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i have one word for you ~ parasites.
> fish are full of wormy goodness, if that's what
> you're after.

Ewwww... why didn't you tell me that years ago before I quit eating fish? Oops, that's right, I didn't know ya back then, haha. j/k

Seriously though, if that doesn't deter people from eating raw fish, I'm not sure what would! Yuck!

yea parasites and worms. yummy.

my dad loved to fish during the weekends and i often accompanied him. seeing first hand the suffering of those fishies never sat well with me and i eventually stopped going. i wanted to hang out with him, not murder fish. he would also get clams, big thing in the northeast. clams i could handle and i used to love 'em, but of course not any more. bleh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 07:44PM by rawangel.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 22, 2008 09:42PM

some fishy links

scientists highlight fish intelligence
[news.bbc.co.uk]

book: fish cognition and behavior
[books.google.com]

NPR radio link on fish intelligence
[www.npr.org]

really *cute* commercial of fish intelligence
[www.youtube.com]

fish school
[www.fish-school.com]

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 22, 2008 09:44PM

salmon is especially parasite rich- for sashimi it has to be frozen a special parasite killing way, and is never served totally fresh. salmon parasites like human guts a lot. and the freezing process does change the nutrients a little bit.

tuna, being deeper water, has few parasites that transfer to human bodies.

i no longer eat either, surprisingly, since i live in NE by the ocean. like others here i ate them for a while, but lost the taste for them. raw seaweed is fishy enough for me.

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables