Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dried fruit
Posted by: stoner ()
Date: May 22, 2008 01:59AM

i am all raw but i am transitioning to fruitarian. not by choice really....i just dont desire veggies at all. but what about dried fruit?
does it still have its enzymes?
is it raw?
what does soaking it do?/
if its off limits then where do i find raw figs and dates?

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dried fruit
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 22, 2008 02:35AM

It's less enzymatically active...and harder on the system...true. But if it helps you....and you are raising your consciousness by making it...then go for it. How can something made with love and conscious choice NOT work out well? I even air-dried some apples a while back......after not dehydrating anything for MANY years.....just to see. It was a pain....and harder on my system....but it was fun. winking smiley

-As time goes on, my personal experience was that I did not WANT things that were processed by others. Raw figs CAN be had in season.....should be coming up here pretty soon....as I recall. Raw dates? Never seen the undried fruit (although my father says they were offered the fresh fruit in Egypt!).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:24AM

Fresh medjool dates are one of the most delicious things in the world. We can get them in England - at a price - I would imagine you could get them too.

they are huge and fat and juicy - an extraordinary taste and sensation. Highly recommended.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 22, 2008 09:44PM

I think dried fruit can be delightful as a condiment. Consider a baby spring mix salad with pecans, cranberries, golden raisins, and a nice orange juice/olive oil dressing. Yum!

Posted by: laurieforti ()
Date: May 29, 2008 07:44PM

Do be careful with dried fruit, they have too concentrated a sugar content.
Grapes have ~15 % total sugars, while dried grapes (raisins) have ~59%; four times as much.

(NOTE: when I use the term %, it is weight percent as used in real chemistry and throughout real science.)

Since we eat until we are "full", dried fruits can result food-induced hypoglycemia.

The best way to eat them to avoid a huge sugar hit is to soak them overnight in water in the fridge, this will rehydrate them and adjust the sugar content to a more normal level. Save the soak water to drink later or add to a fruit smoothie.
Then eat a couple of pieces of the soaked fruit and dilute the sugar content further by eating a couple of apples with it. That will reduce the sugar content of this 'meal' to something more readily handled by the body.

To get easy access to food compositions, get Jerry Story's DMAK, a free nutritional composition program for Windoze and Linux at:
[www3.telus.net]

Laurie

--
Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
[ecologos.org]
news:alt.food.vegan.science

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2008 07:54PM by laurieforti.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 29, 2008 08:13PM

That salad sounds yummy arugula.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2008 08:13PM by pakd4fun.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 29, 2008 10:11PM

I eat dates in smoothies..but I find them so sweet its unbearable

dried fruit..not optimal..but if you enjoy..why not?!

dry your own if possible!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 30, 2008 04:52PM

I love dried fruits, especially before I hit the gym and as an in-between snack. Also, they are are high in fiber!! My favorite ones are these colorful bags called peeled snacks, they don't add sugar or oils and come in whole pieces of dried fruit. They are delish, anyways if you like them try to find ones without added sugars, because most of them do add!!!

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: May 31, 2008 09:53AM

Are goji berries considered a dried fruit? Do they have a high sugar content?

What brand, or where, do you all buy goji berries?

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 31, 2008 06:02PM

the date people

pop it into google.. 8-1-1 candy.. dont think they are in season now

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: May 31, 2008 06:48PM

Goji berries are a dried fruit. The package should list the sugar content.

I've seen fresh dates every once in a while at Whole Paycheck.

Dried mango = raw/vegan crack ... I used to have a problem with it. smiling smiley I've been addicted to worse.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 31, 2008 06:53PM

I find gojis are very nice soaked for at least an hour--they really expand in size, get juicier, and the remaining water in the bowl is sublime. <3

Fresh would still be better... but now and again, yeah, gojis! =D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables