Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Decision to build a greenhouse
Posted by: rwillow76 ()
Date: May 23, 2008 12:28AM

Well folks, I stopped eating raw because I just couldn't afford it anymore. I was overdrawn at the bank and everything. But then as soon as I stopped eating raw I became very sick. My bowels were (are) all screwed up and I was having headaches and everything. So the bottom line I guess is that I have to be raw no matter whether I can afford it or not. I am even starting to gain weight again!

The only solution I can come up with is building a greenhouse in my back yard. It will have to be small because I don't have much room there but it will work. My goal is to get on "freecycle" and build my greenhouse from mostly if not all recycled materials.

If any of you have experience with this or can direct me to good internet resources and such I would forever be in your debt. I have to do this ASAP because I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I know it won't be easy but it is definately necessary. Besides... I have always wanted a greenhouse.

River Willow

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decision to build a greenhouse
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: May 23, 2008 12:00PM

You know -- every time I eat cooked my digestion gets messed up too. About the greenhouse, go on craigslist.com too. You can get good deals on a lot of stuff. But definitely check out freecycle. Also, do you have a re-store or similar used building supply store? Re-store is run by Habitat for Humanity. We have a greenhouse, but it was kind of expensive. Man, is it worth it, though! We've been harvesting in Massachusetts out of it for months! And don't forget to hit the farmers' markets. Maybe if you know or befriend some of the farmers who have food left over and they know your situation, they could cut you a deal at the end of the day. Good luck!
Sundancer

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 23, 2008 01:53PM

rwillow76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well folks, I stopped eating raw because I just
> couldn't afford it anymore.

Where do you live that fresh produce costs more than commercially processed food?

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: May 23, 2008 06:12PM

hyldemoer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rwillow76 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well folks, I stopped eating raw because I just
> > couldn't afford it anymore.
>
> Where do you live that fresh produce costs more
> than commercially processed food?

I don't think they said commercially processed food.

I can tell you that where I live it is definitely cheaper to eat things like brown rice and lentils than it is to eat a salad.

Date: May 23, 2008 07:23PM

It is much more expensive. In the past my kids would eat things like mac and cheese ($0.45 per box), Vienna sausages ($0.50 per can) by the way... that's disgusting... vienna sausages I mean.

When I switched my family to raw, I was feeding, and shopping raw for 7 people. They ate ALOT. I just couldn't seem to keep it in the house. I know that's a good thing but eventually it got very expensive. When I descided to go back to a cooked vegetarian diet, that's when I started getting sick.

Ya know... it may just be that I don't know how to shop. But I still want to build a greenhouse. At about midnight last night after work I went and bought some plants, organic potting soil and pots. I worked all morning and now I have everything on my front porch. Spinach, swiss chard, tomatoes, beets, lettuce... all kinds of stuff. And my eggplant and tomatoes in the back yard are starting to "bloom". I can't wait. I have even been researching building greenhouses and have a sort of an idea of how I want to do it. I measured the space in my back yard and I have available approx. 10 by 15 feet, maybe more. That doesn't sound like a lot but it looked like it would be quite a bit of space. I really can't wait to get started.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 23, 2008 10:39PM

Sounds like a great project. Good luck!

Date: May 25, 2008 05:09AM

Never mind my idea of building a greenhouse. That wasn't the smartest of ideas that I have had. I do not own this house. What if one day I have to move? I will have wasted all that energy and money for nothing.

New plan. Better plan. I have a big basement that is unfinished with 2 rooms. There is also a floor drain in one of the rooms and a water hose down there. Why can't I just invest in some grow lights and garden down there? There's plenty of room, it's already temperature regulated, and it's ventilated. Fabulous idea. I can't wait to get started.

River

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 25, 2008 08:32AM

The green house can be built by useing pvc pipes and plastic sheeting. make the pcv pipes in a kind of half circle and secure the plastic sheeting over it. It would be easy to take apart if you have to move. You can also make a small raised bed garden and some kale can grow in the winter. Not sure where you live though. I am just learning to garden and have tomatoes growing in pots The weather has been cold here in washington state but this month I hope to have some raised beds started I have some herbs and mint growing. I always read craigs list looking for items for a garden. oh I forgot the stawberrie patch I have. I put the plants in a small kids pool and they are flowering and have little green strawberries starting cant wait till they ripen. This year I hope to go to some u-pick places and get some berries to freeze for the winter. I was so fortunate to get an extra refridgerator and freezer. You can grow some sunflower sprouts and other sprouts. I really like the sunflower sprouts.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: May 25, 2008 08:37AM

Grow light will cost you in electricity. Doesn't sound like a good plan to me.
Building a 10x15 feet greenhouse costs nothing.
What I would suggest is that you prepare a double dug bed the size of the greenhouse you want to make, and then simply get a few PVC tubing and a clear plastic tarp. Plant some small iron poles in the ground, sticking out about 1 feet. With the PVC tubing, make a house like frame (2 vertical poles and 2 45degrees ones for the roof, connected with PVC connectors, you don't have to glue them), and one pole on top to hold the top roof line. Make a frame like that every 3 feet or so, and connect them all together with the top roof pipe. Then, stick the frame in the small iron poles you planted in the ground, and cover it all with a clear plastic tarp, securing it to the ground with a few stones. And you have a cheap, transportable greenhouse.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: May 29, 2008 02:26AM

Would a PVC pipe and plastic sheeting greenhouse work even in the winter? Wouldn't it freeze?

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 29, 2008 07:54AM

I am not sure about the plastic sheeting in the winter. The pcv pipe should hold up for a while is it is supported and not wiggleing around to much. It all depends what kind of winter you have. I have an old frame from a tarp building that I intend to cover with plastic or even some sort of sheeting for a green house this winter. I live in washington state and usually the winters are fairly mild and I might be able to grow kale and some other greens. I would be thrilled if I could grow anything in the winter. I am just starting out and real new with growing things. I am growing a bunch of tomatoes right now and hope to get some other plants in the ground this week. I am going to plant some cucumbers and zuccini. yum.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: May 29, 2008 04:21PM

Freezing in the greenhouse will depend on where you live. Don't expect a greenhouse to still work warm in Antarctica over winter time. South of Spain where I am, it works very well over winter, but it doesn't get below freezing more than a few nights during the year.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables