Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

help....pineapple
Posted by: javacado ()
Date: May 23, 2008 05:26AM

ok, i just can't stand it any longer...does anyone get very red irritated sore spots in the corner of their mouth from eating pineapple??? i love it but it's really getting to me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help....pineapple
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 23, 2008 09:00AM

I do if it isnt ripe

make sure its ripe, cut the top..turn upside down.. or cut it up and let it "mellow out" for a day in the fridge.

you wont get the mouth problem

also make sure you cut the pines properly..those little things can irritate your mouth

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: May 23, 2008 09:07AM

yep, i can't eat much pineapple either, a few bites at the most. ripe or unripe. high acid or low acid. organic or conventional. sores around mouth and it makes my tongue feel like i drank scalding hot liquid for a day afterwards.

i can have it in smoothies tho!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 23, 2008 11:21AM

Yes. Many pineapples are not fully ripe. Find the ripest ones you can (that have a nice fruity smell. Cut them up the night before....then rinse them in cold water before eating to neutralize some of the acids. This should help....along with eating smaller bites. If it REALLY disagrees with you....then don't do it.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Context ()
Date: May 23, 2008 11:47AM

hunh... have you pH tested you saliva?

Date: May 23, 2008 01:25PM

Talking about pineapples makes me wonder....what ever happened to the wonderful dr flora? She is the queen of championing all the good things pineapples do.

I agree with making sure your pineapple is ripe. I let mine sit for at least a week, until they're golden all over. The leaves at the top should be starting to wither. Fresh pineapple is such a joy. And yes, I've gotten the burns from the unripe ones. I used to get the same burns from too many doritos!

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 23, 2008 01:33PM

It does take a bit of a knack and effort to learn how to get the hang of getting good ones.

Look at the leaves, test the weight, the hardness or softness of them, some can do the smell, etc. Also let them sit for several days at home, turn them upside down as they sit, usually certain stores will carry a better consistency in their orders as opposed to others. After I got this down, I have been having at least 5 pineapples a week on average with no soreness or burning anymore. The effort was worth it I think :O)

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 23, 2008 01:54PM

I find the best ones to have that warm, golden, glowing color--not green or brown. The smell is a surefire way to go, too.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 23, 2008 02:05PM

I wait until the sides are soft. Sometimes when I cut the pineapple open its got some brown inside and thats OK because I think it is just the sugar turning into brown sugar as it ripens and I find thats the best tasting part.

Date: May 23, 2008 07:04PM

EZ rider.. do you not find by that point the bottoms are mouldy?or do you just ignore that??

I try and get mine somewhere between just ripe..and growing stuff on the bottom!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 23, 2008 07:36PM

Posted by: rawdanceruk (IP Logged)
Date: May 23, 2008 12:04PM

do you not find by that point the bottoms are moldy? or do you just ignore that?

I use them before they get moldy. One time I put the pineapples into a closed space to help them ripen like the way bananas ripen in a closed paper bag but the pineapples got moldy. I have found that if the pineapple is kept in the open and near an open widow it cuts the chances of developing mold way down. Conditions similar to growing wheat grass seems to work the best for me to store pineapples.

Date: May 23, 2008 08:16PM

cool thanks for that smiling smiley

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 23, 2008 09:49PM

I wait until they are spoungy and all yellow. I guess mine don't get moldy because I set them on a wire shelf. I use wire baskets for all my fruit and set those on the metal shelves or I have a problem with them going bad and moldy.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: May 25, 2008 11:37PM

I have to be very carefull when i eat pineapple... Even if its ripe, its still burns the corners of my mouth

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2008 12:32AM

stupid pineapples, i've thrown out three in the last month. they won't ripen up, they just get yucky inside. darn it! not ripe enough and they burn my mouth like crazy.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 26, 2008 02:15AM

Never once in my life have I experienced bad pineapple! I usually eat one every 1-2 weeks. Maybe they just naturally have awesome pineapples in... Canada.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 26, 2008 04:17AM

I only get them when they are $1.99. I haven't seen them for less than $2.50 lately so I have abstained. I do miss them a lot, they are especially yum with papaya and coconut. I don't get the burn, it's an individual thing. But I get the ones that are really ripe.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 26, 2008 02:12PM

Oh treat yourself arugula. It's only $.50 winking smiley!

Date: May 26, 2008 04:10PM

dude, i'm IN canada! still, yucky pineapples 'round here at least. *sad*

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 26, 2008 05:33PM

Pineapple and banana is not the best combo, add the air of blending and this can be expected.

Posted by: bostonhill ()
Date: June 13, 2008 11:19AM

I love pineapple~ BUT last week I had a half of a pinepple and then a half hour later went to the dentist for a cleaning....ouch!!!! Way toooo sensitive, everything hurt. So dont do that! :-)

Date: June 13, 2008 04:49PM

Nope,
Me and pineapple are good buddies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables