Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

vinegar
Posted by: sweetlime ()
Date: May 25, 2008 09:39PM

Is vinegar ( for salad dressing) healthy especially when trying to get rid of acne? I keep hearing contradictory information. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vinegar
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 25, 2008 09:53PM

It might be mildly helpful as a topical. It's a very dilute acetic acid, closely related to the hydroxy acids that a lot of people use on their faces.

I don't see how it could make a difference one way or another. It occurs naturally in the body and is used to make cholesterol, which is found in virtually every cell in the body. It has other functions, too.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 25, 2008 10:37PM

I would not recommend puting acids on your skin. I would focus on continuing internal cleansing through increasing intake of fresh, unprocessed fruits and vegetables....and removal of chemicals from inside and outside your body. Just some (basic...I know) suggestions. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2008 12:31AM

but ACV is very good for the outside of your body, dilluted of course. it balances the ph of the skin especially after washing. good for hair too.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2008 12:34AM

apple cider vinegar (acv) is awesome for you, both internally and externally.

I take 3 swigs a day of it and apply it topically aswell. Love it!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 26, 2008 03:45PM

If it's got the Mother in it such as Bragg or Hains brands and it's not the supermarket synthetically made vinegars then it's very good for you. It must be the one with the apples, and fermentation in it. I like they call it The Mother. I discovered it's many, many uses by trying it first for colic baby and in a day it changed her life.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: May 27, 2008 08:09PM

don't know about vinegar, but I like to rub the remains of papaya on my face - the enzymes will exfoliate the dead cells off, leaving a nice glow. That shouldn't irritate your skin, I don't think?

Date: May 28, 2008 12:12AM

Papaya is pretty mild, ripe pH is 5-6. Unripe is probably lower. There was a recent study on a topical with 15% papain that did nice things for the skin. They will sell it for $100 a bottle, you might as well save your money and wipe the pitted fruit peel from an unripe papaya on your skin and get the same thing.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Anything lower than 7.0 is an acid, higher than 7.0 is a base.

Our skin's protective mantle is acid, about 5.5, a bit lower for males, this also varies with season, humidity, oiliness.

We usually don't feel much until the pH of an applied substance is 3.5 or lower.

But this pH scale is logarithmic. That means each unit change is about 10 times more (or less) acid e.g. pH 3 is 10 times more acidic than pH 4.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 28, 2008 03:20AM

I tried the papaya thing the other day... my skin felt very astringent (can I use that as an adjective? my skin felt as if it were subject to something astringent?) afterward.

I don't think one test run was enough, but the fruit was delicious, and it certainly felt nice to rub the skin all over my face. =)

Date: May 28, 2008 10:56AM

I think that it would be better tolerated by a person with oily skin. I *love* that feeling of astringency but other people hate it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2008 10:56AM by arugula.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables