Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

calculating 80-10-10
Posted by: bananablossom ()
Date: May 26, 2008 07:29PM

I always have trouble calculating my daily requirements until I found this....The website is www.thedailyplate.com and you fill out what you have eaten all day long and not only does it give you your calories but it gives you your carb/protein/fat percentages. I've been using it for a week and I LOVE IT!!! Just thought I would share.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: calculating 80-10-10
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 26, 2008 09:16PM

I use nutridiary, as recomended by Dr Doug

Will check that out tho!!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 27, 2008 02:30AM

IMO the further you can get away from calculators, scales, mathematical calculation, calorie counting, etc the better the raw food lifestyle works. Throw all that stuff away and tune into the best coach there is - your body. If your listening your body will communicate messages that are in your best interest for health & wellness and the lifestyle will be simple and easy.

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: May 27, 2008 01:07PM

In the beginning it was a huge help to calculate for me. I needed to see everything on paper - what I was getting, what I wasn't getting, how many calories I needed, etc. Now I never use a counter, but to transition it was key.

Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: May 27, 2008 01:24PM

Hey,
I always use Fitday to do my calculations, and also check on nutritiondata.

I always foung as long as i was just eating lots of sweet fruit and a pound or so of greens, i was always in the 80/10/10 zone, only when you want to add some fats - sprouted seeds or avocado e.t.c do you really need to check for percentages.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 28, 2008 05:35AM

I check it now and again..just for my own ammusement

I eat or dont eat what I want..dont count calories

rarely have overt fat like avo

Date: May 28, 2008 01:44PM

It is funny - I love avocado and used to crave it ALL the time. Now I just eat it probably once a week - and I know when I need it. I will just eat the entire thing, maybe having another half the next day and then I am fine. Full of avo till the next week! Listening to the body is an incredible thing - especially for someone who never could really "get it!"

Posted by: laurieforti ()
Date: May 28, 2008 02:54PM

The human species is a frugivorous ape with our genetic
code only 1.6% different than that of the chimp, our
closest genetic relative,
[www.gate.net].
That difference is obviously related to physical
appearance, not digestive biochemistry. Thus, our diet
should be predominantly fruit, as is the chimp's.
[ecologos.org]

Unfortunately, Doug Graham has insisted on writing a
misleading book, 80/10/10, that fully misunderstands the
meaning of calories, and, worse, repeats and propagates the
arithmetically-absurd concept of "percent of calories from
xxx" (PCF).
This bogus concept is the centerpiece of Graham's
misleading book, which was produced only for the possible
profit related to the propagation of yet another fallacious,
deceptive, and absurd concept to the gullible seeker of
valid nutritional information.
[www.ecologos.org]
[ecologos.org]

The PCF concept is absolutely MEANINGLESS and
can NOT be used for anything practical, but I made the
calculations easily available to illustrate that point.
E.g.: romaine lettuce APPEARS to be a highly-concentrated
food (it is not) with a PCF content of:
protein = 23.7, carbs = 63.3, and fat =13.0 percents.
while almonds have a PCF profile of:
13.8 | 14.1 | 72.2

So, the PCF profile says romaine lettuce has more protein
and carbs than almonds; clearly absurd and misleading.

Other absurdities:

"orange juice is a great high calorie option"
DMAK (from USDA database) reports OJ has 45 kcal/100 g,
while mangoes have 65, apples have 52, grapes have 67,
bananas have 89.

As folks have previously reported to me that any post
to VegSource with any of my web page URL's were blocked, I
tried again and received:
"Your message contains a word, phrase, or link that is
blocked by VegSource."
Nice folks, right? Committed to free and open discussion,
right? Raw vegan Nazis, right?
More vegan Nazis:
[ecologos.org]

Laurie
--
Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
[ecologos.org]
news:alt.food.vegan.science

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 28, 2008 03:16PM

i'm interested in your arguement, seems valid to me.
could we refrain from misusing the word nazi though? that's pretty offensive to me. vegetables are in no way in line with what happened during the nazi rule. sorry to be so touchy, that word gets me as much as "retard" and the "n" word do.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 28, 2008 03:47PM

laurieforti you are being tough on Dr. Graham I think. His book and approach offers guidelines to follow, not absolutes sort of speak. This can be a great help for the beginner or SAD eater especially who have no idea for the most part where to start. So, when Dr. Graham speaks a language they understand better, raw food eating can be better obtained by most. Unfortunately many misunderstand his approach it seems. In time we all find our own path anyhow.

Posted by: sweetlime ()
Date: May 28, 2008 04:59PM

I second not using the Nazi word. Let`s not use that so lightly.

Date: May 29, 2008 06:36PM

> ... refrain from misusing the word nazi though?

Let's see:
1> the propagation of deceptive, unsupportable propaganda in the name of "health"
2> generating personal income with these lies
3> refusal to honestly discuss any issues in a fair forum
4> blocking all posts by -anyone- containing an ecologos.org URL

Let's see: dictatorial suppression of free speech and honest debate - what can we call that so as not offend people would prefer not to think?

What's worse, a single word or oppressive, deceptive, evasive, dictatorial behavior?
HINT: actions speak louder than words.

> "laurieforti you are being tough on Dr. Graham I think."
When does 'tough' refer to telling the Truth , Truths intentionally hidden from the public? Constructive criticism is respected by those who value their own intellect.

Please be specific and try to discuss -issues- instead of making unsupported pejoratives.

"His book and approach offers guidelines to follow, not absolutes sort ..."
The guideline is simple: eat fruit.
His arithmetic is ABSOLUTELY incorrect; it violates the conventional structure of arithmetic. This guy can't pass an 8th grade arithmetic quiz. Did the 80/10/10 cultists all miss the 8th grade, too?

I happen to think this is important. There are too many lies being mindlessly propagated in contemporary nutribabble. Most of you simply do not care, and belong to various diet cults so you can feel good about yourself by associating with groups of people who hold similar beliefs, no matter how absurd.

Check out the Zero Carb cults for an insight into this pathological, anti-intellectual mindset. Rally 'round the flag, boys! Do you -believe- Bushco?

"... Graham speaks a language they understand better,...
NO ONE can 'understand' false statements about arithmetic.
He frequently fails to differentiate between weight percent and percent of calories, especially since the latter is absolutely meaningless.

The Truth will set you free!

(Please excuse any formatting abnormalities, I have yet to comprehend how this msg board mangles my formatting. To the management: the Preview function does not work.)

Laurie

--
[ecologos.org]

Posted by: m ()
Date: May 29, 2008 07:43PM

Yeah, I think Dr. D has some explaining to do as well. There is no credible research backing his statements. The book contains nothing but his own opinions and experiences.

I think the whole calorie thing is a bunch of bologna, along with the fact that he is comparing apples to oranges in making his points about eating low-fat. He's riding on the back of MD's like Dean Ornish, Essyltein, Barnard, etc. who have seen major improvements in their patients when following a low fat (COOKED) vegan diet. I don't believe you can compare RAW fats to chemically altered COOKED fats. If he's going to draw the line of "no more than 10% calories from RAW fat" daily, I want to see good old fashioned research...entailing bloodwork samples. I hypothesize that raw fats are metabolized much differently than cooked fats...but, who knows...maybe I'm wrong! Plus,if a high fat raw diet promotes things like diabetes (as DR. D contends), why is Gabriel Cousens is "curing diabetes" with a low sugar, higher fat, veggie diet??? I'm not saying Cousens is right either...but, I am a supporter for GOOD quality research to back up one's statements.

Instead of focusing on percentages, numbers and philosophies, it would just be more simple to focus on foods that are physiologically appropriate for humans to digest. Yeah, that probably means mostly fruit and not too much fat...but I personally wouldn't cut my avocado into fourths and limit myself to a segment a day! To each is own! Ha!

love,
m.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 29, 2008 08:24PM

Laurie, calm down now. You are taking me far to serious there. I myself do not follow 80/10/10 so don't feel I'm biased either his way. He is just one man with one approach that has been positive for many. This is where I say don't be so tough on him. You disagree, many disagree, but many agree also and thrive with his approach and many have failed with his approach. He has his reasons for what he does BUT it is with good intentions. I respect that myself.

I'm trying to make a point that we as raw foodists should try to be more accepting and caring of our own kind and until we do the SAD eaters of the world will continue to discount alot of what we do.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: May 30, 2008 11:28AM

Using terms like "Nazi" and "cult" in this context are hurtful and completely unnecessary. Why attack others who think differently than you do? Use logic and love!

Strongly worded posts that consist of personal attacks and logical fallacies usually contain little substance or the substance is hidden between such unpleasant personal attacks it is nearly impossible to find.

I'm not interested in your attack on Doug Graham.

I am always interested in reading about nutrition.

Although, I am not convinced we are all supposed to eat the same things, in the same ways (amount, frequency), as each other. I see people who seem happy and healthy eating differently than I do. I don't think it is necessary to engage in name calling.

I see people trying to formulate a single unifying nutritional theory and it seems pointless.

Some interesting basic information on DNA...

[archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com]

[answers.yahoo.com]

and some basic information on logical fallacies...

[onegoodmove.org]

[www.infidels.org]

smiling smiley

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 30, 2008 02:44PM

Hi Laurie,
I would second coco's request regarding the word 'nazi' because even though i do agree with some of your observations about DG and his forum, I just can't equate 80/10/10 with a movement that tortured and killed innocent people simply because they were Jewish.

I want to say, though, that your website is interesting and there is a lot of food for thought there, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 30, 2008 05:12PM

I believe that we are all on this journey together, and when we are supposed to "get it" we will - whether that is with the help of a "guru" or not. Everyone has their own opinions and judgements, but perhaps we could just stop judging and go further by appreciating the attempts that anyone is making to improve their lives - Dr D included.

80/10/10 was something that totally "clicked" for me and it helped me to enter this place (exactly here where I am) in my journey - where I need to be and completely in love with raw foods/raw food lifestyle as a whole - not necessarily 80/10/10 at this point. I am sure I will never turn back, and for that reason I am forever grateful that I found 80/10/10 when I did -along with this website and other raw foodists. I don't worship Dr Doug, nor do I feel that his book is "the word." I think that we should continue to seek whatever we need to, to explore and learn more about ourselves and our bodies. Some things will work, and obviously, some things will not.

Calling names and judging others really gets us no where.

Date: June 06, 2008 09:10PM

) I believe that we are all on this journey together, and when we are supposed to "get it" we will -

And, who is responsible to maintain schedules for individual entities? WHI is responsible for YOUR growth?

Laurie

--
[ecologos.org]

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: June 06, 2008 10:41PM

laurieforti

I get that you are smarter than DG and angry at him. I'm not into political correctness and don't care what you call him. If I were banned for asking good questions, I'd be mad as h*ll too.

Your website is fascinating so much information!! ( It will take a long time to digest :-) So what do you yourself actually eat? and what sort of diet?

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: June 08, 2008 03:35AM

Nutridiary uses the percentage-from-calorie principle in the same way DG does. Obviously, he didn't come up with the concept. It's a sound idea that makes perfect sense and is arithmetically correct, and he didn't even invent it, so what's the uproar?

Perfectly simple arithmetic,,,
here it is for fat
[stason.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables