Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

80/10/10 diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 31, 2008 08:14PM

Can someone tell me how this diet works?

I know that it's about low fat (no fat?) and then eating only a mix of veggies and fruit. I'm just wondering how much fruit you should eat and how much veggies..

I have severe candida that's why I want to try it out.

Also if anyone knows where I can buy his book as an ebook then that'd be greatly appreciated because with shipping to Iceland it will cost me atleast 110$ sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80/10/10 diet
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 01, 2008 12:17AM

Go to the source maybe :O)

[www.vegsource.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 01, 2008 02:27AM

Can someone tell me how this diet works?
For me the raw food lifestyle starts with getting sufficient sleep and I personally like to wake up naturally without the rudeness of an alarm clock. Then when I feel like eating I eat fresh raw vegan food. I like to take a jog in the morning and that may be before breakfast or after, but usually before. I like to eat small mono meals of fresh raw food all day spaced apart by a slight return of hunger signal. I prefer to eat a 100% all raw diet of mostly whole food. I like to fill my day with interesting and fun activities. At the end of my day I go to bed so that I can live again tomorrow. I like to keep my life simple and easy and the raw food lifestyle is a perfect fit for that. I am living proof that the raw food lifestyle can be and is a very simple, enjoyable, and easy lifestyle to do as I do it everyday. There are many good sources of information about the raw food lifestyle but favorite source is listening to my raw coach - my own body signals and messages.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 01, 2008 02:33AM

Those vegsource forums are horrible to me. I used to think it was just achingly slow because I was on dialup, but even with a very high speed connection at work they are still excruciatingly slow. Too many ads.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 01, 2008 04:31AM

If you want to read vegsource efficiently, turn off Javascript in your browser, and configure your browser to only show images from www.vegsource.com and exclude all other images. Of course, you need to restore your preferences when you visit other websites, unless your brower has per site preferences (like the OmniWeb browser on Macintosh).

As for how much fruits and veggies to eat, here is his recommendation from his FAQ on foodnsport.com:

A healthy diet contains approximately 90-97% calories from fruits, 2-6% calories from greens and 0-8% calories from vegetables, non-sweet fruits, nuts and seeds.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 01, 2008 07:40AM

Google it up, you will find lots of information

Theres also plenty of blogs on the issue and food logs also, if you want to get an idea

its really simple, mono eating fruit, some greens. Easy as that.

Date: June 02, 2008 12:42AM

Ok, I went to Dr. Graham's raw food camp last year and I was not impressed. Truly, I felt like I had entered a cult or something. All of the "followers" there seemed to worship Dr. Graham and he spent the whole time competing with all of the campers to show everyone that he was the strongest and most fit. Every day he would host a "Dougathalon" where he would choose an exercise (almost always inspired from gymnastics which is what he used to be) and he would challenge others to beat him. Of course he had the advantage because it was obvious that he spends every waking minute perfecting each of the excercises that he chooses so that he will win. I did buy the book while I was there and the raw food experience was extremely delicious because the focus was wonderfully raw and organic, but it freaked me out. First of all, the camp cost over $3500 for a week and I had three other roommates and even though they were amazing, fun women we had no privacy or use of a private bathroom.

The worst part was at the end of the week, Dr. Graham put together a packet for me of material that he "felt" would help me and then had one of his people present me with a bill of $1200. I felt that he knew that I could afford to pay it and therefore decided to pull one over on me. The material was simply books that he had written on raw food and health including audio tapes. Definitely not worth the $1200 and I chose not to purchase these items after all in the end but I felt pressured and that was bothersome. I was new to raw food at the time, and I felt duped. I did not find him to be very knowledgeable about health although he is a very strong person physically. I was almost afraid to become a raw foodist after this experience because he truly looks much older that his age and is very, very thin despite his physical strength. I think a part of his ability stems from the fact that he has a background as a gymnast and most of what he teaches, athletically, is based upon gymnast activities. He is only 54ish but looks like a man in his mid sixties. The book is still good, though and can be ordered online. I do still use the recipes occasionally. Still, don't waste your time going to his camp unless you want to worship the "raw God" and have very meager surroundings. I could have gone to Rancho La Puerta for the same cost!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 02, 2008 01:10AM

Bryan, thank you for the tips on how to navigate through vegsource.

Lovetoeat, I am sorry to hear about your disappointments. I think most of Graham's appearance woes are due to sun damage. Other than that, which could easily be repaired with a deep peel, I think he looks good. I like thin!

I think there is a strong streak of narcissism in most of the raw food gurus and I would not expect much better from any of them, based on their writings. I have met none in person.

Next time, go to Rancho La Peurta!

Date: June 02, 2008 01:23AM

Thanks Arugula! I will go to Rancho La Puerta....Lol. I always feel a little uncomfortable giving a negative review about someone mainly because it is not easy to be in the spotlight, but in this case I feel that it is important. I know that everyone has to make a living but someone should never feel "screwed". I always want to feel good about what I am purchasing. I do agree that there is a God-like mind set with the raw food guru's because I have heard that it is a common theme. I just didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling with Dr. Graham when I was there. I don't believe in my heart that he is the real deal. I'm sure that he is a full blown raw foodist, but I think a lot of what drives him is being the leader of his pack and I don't think he is really that knowledgeable at all. I wonder if a lot of his knowledge is based on otheres.

Date: June 02, 2008 11:52PM

Hi, I hope I have some helpful comments to make, as I too have had big problems with candida and have tried the 80/10/10 diet for a while.
All this is just my own humble opinion.
First of all, the 80/10/10 diet didnt really do much for me, my candida got lessened but this diet didnt realy do it 100%, and I have been thinking about it more and more clear as the time goes and I have been learning more about the raw food. First of all, I think that calling a restricted diet for the optimal diet for everything is not perhaps so wise, as we are all unique and in different situations in life, and the only one who can really say what we need is ourselves. So, its just to try listen to what our bodys need, and as long as the things we eat are raw, then everything is fine.
But now for the special case of the candida, the diet I am following now is the sunfood diet by David Wolfe. Its a diet that compromise of all raw food, but if you want to obtain sertain goals then you can change the composition in the food intake (greens,sweet fruits and fats).
For the candida, then it is recommended to eat as little sweet fruits as possible, and more of the greens and fats (avocado...yummy). So far I have noticed very good results. And also cleaning the colon and rebuilding the intestinal flora is supposed to help alot with candida (I am still waiting for my products to arrive so cant confirm on this, but all my research points on this). And also getting sunshine, preferably fullbody, and not wearing tight clothes that prevent air circulation and so on. Oh and getting alot of oxygen by deep breathing. Well thats about what I can think about now, starting to fall asleep here.

Adam

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: June 03, 2008 12:47AM

Yeah, there's some ego tripping in the raw world.

You have to judge the food that is recommended by how it makes you feel. What is best for you to eat? Listen to your body. Read as much as you can, but then tune in to yourself for further directions.

For me, 80/10/10 makes a lot of sense. I really like "The High Energy Diet Recipe Guide." It's awesome whether you are into 80/10/10 or just want some easy to make foods.

Fortunately, I cannot afford a raw retreat, raw camp, raw getaway, raw resort, etc. so I have to judge the diet by the effect it has on me. Maybe Doug Graham and I would clash. smiling smiley Maybe he's a real jerk. I don't know. The diet makes sense to me, but then I'm not paying thousands so I don't care about the personality behind the promotion of it.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 03, 2008 05:18AM

Agreed

dont care about the guru. low fat, high fruit. lots of activity works.

Make my own rules!!

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: June 03, 2008 11:57AM

I agree - intuitive eating is much more reassuring, confidence building and fun than worrying about the body getting all it's calcium, protein blah blah blah. Eat like a monkey and be happy!

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: June 03, 2008 05:53PM

Low fat/high fruit has worked best for me over the other approaches to raw that I have tried. I go for the info, not the guru. But I do like what Doug Graham has to say. I couldn't care less what he's like in person...but he sure seems to have figured out an optimal way to do raw foods (in my opinion). I've been on it 16 months and blog a lot about it if you're interested in my in depth experiences. Blog should be in my signature.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables