Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Camping!
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: June 01, 2008 02:56PM

Think I'm going to go camping this week. Any suggestions? Think I'll give a go at dehydrating in my homemade dehydrator again. Only problem is it gets a little too hot to be considered "raw" but until I buy a real one it'll have to do.

I can only stuff so much in a cooler to keep cool for 2 days, so I won't really be able to fill up the thing with much produce. Any suggestions?

-DaveK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2008 02:57PM by Itzdavey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Camping!
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 01, 2008 02:59PM

lot of water too

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 01, 2008 03:24PM

Hi Dave,
Jonathan and I have done a lot of 2-week camping trips in the raw, so here are some ideas:

* take avocados (wrap in foil), dried dandelion or parsley or... ? (I used to be able to get several varieties in the bulk dept. at my co-op), dried tomatoes, maybe even dried daikon or dried mushrooms + olive oil and a bottle of organic lemon juice. Mix ingredients (chop or slice avocados), soak the ingredients in a little water to soften, add oil and lemon juice, and enjoy!

* nuts, seeds and dried fruit -- my favorite combination is raw pistachios + raisins; also dried California apricots (not the imported ones) are tangy and really flavorful when you're camping

* some people don't consider these raw because they're packaged, but Lara bars taste mighty good and they help fill you up when you can't eat much while camping

Have fun!!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 01, 2008 05:09PM

Soaked nuts, apples, oranges. Fruit you dried yourself on a box fan. Extra water. Forage for dandelions. You'll be fine.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: June 01, 2008 06:24PM

if you'll be in one spot,
make a portable refrigerator for your fruits and veggies....

line a box with towels and keep them damp and in the shade

i did this for a year in the back of a toyota pickup

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 01, 2008 07:04PM

take things that dont need the fridge

Banana, avo, oranges, grapefruit

pack a mason jar or two of trail mix..lots of it

lots of water

some truffles or home made food bars? if you like that sort of thing

I would just keep it simple

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: June 01, 2008 07:24PM

Thanks everyone! I've got some bananas drying right now in my home-built dehydrator. They won't be quite raw-dehydrated becuase it gets too hot in there, but screw it.

I've got some other fruits and nuts as well. Great that you mentioned dandelions David - I was thinking about that.

There will be a water pump nearby. I always joke about this at work. At work I have to walk the length of our building just to get to the kitchen from my cubicle, because they were too cheap to get us a water cooler. When I am camping the water pump is about 20 yards away. Go figure.

I'll have a few non-raw things as I'm not a 100%er. But I'll not mention them lest I be booed off stage.

(I'm just kidding. I know you folks aren't like that here).

Keep going with your suggestions though. Maybe next time I'll make it 100% trip. If that's all I bring then that's all I'll eat. But I have my heart set on some of my non raw stuff for this trip. *coughcranberrywalnutpancakescough*

-DaveK

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: June 01, 2008 09:20PM

will you have access to raw nettles? they are very nutritional. Perhaps you should google raw wild foods for your area. Last year when I was camping I packed lara bars as a treat because my family still ate cooked things like someores and I wanted a treat as well. I found loads of different berries, buat that was in august when the berries were ripe. I am just learning about the other wild foods. If you could just find three wild foods available you would be able to feast. Where are you camping? Have fun

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 01, 2008 10:11PM

Hi,

sea weed, dried is very lightweight and tasty. I've also dehydrated onion slices and used them later, either re-hydrating them with a salad or just eat them crunchy.

Sprouts are another option, using a jar or sack cloth bag, carry some seeds and plant some new sprouts each day.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: June 02, 2008 12:46AM

OK you really sparked my interest. How do you dry fruit on a box fan? I LOVE that idea!

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soaked nuts, apples, oranges. Fruit you dried
> yourself on a box fan. Extra water. Forage for
> dandelions. You'll be fine.
>
> -David Z. Mason

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables