Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Food Diet dangers?
Posted by: powerbraid ()
Date: June 03, 2008 06:34PM

Hello everyone! I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading all of these posts, and how much I have learned!

I have Celiac Disease, and was first of all wondering if there are any other celiacs out there in the raw foodie world? smiling smiley

I have been raw now for a little over a month, and I feel great! I love it! But, my Mom is making a tizzy over the "dangers" of an all raw diet. Has anyone heard of specific dangers?

Thanks!

Oh, and I am absolutely addicted to Green Smoothies ----- I don't know how I lived my life without the beautiful things!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Food Diet dangers?
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: June 03, 2008 08:24PM

Don't worry about it.

Use something like fitday.com or nutridiary.com and show your mom that you are getting everything you need. With all those greens, the only thing you are likely to be low in is vit D (sun or supplement), B-12 (can take a pill, takes awhile to develop deficiency anyway), and zinc (and we may need less than they think anyway). The calcium recommendation is also probably overstated, but I would sometimes be over 100% with all the greens anyway.

Everything else should be close or way over the recommendations--much more so than a SAD eater, who will be low in almost everything. And not getting the phytonutrients, and getting lots of toxins from their diet.

That should reassure her. Best of luck.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 03, 2008 08:33PM

Hi.
I have the wheat gluten intolerance too.
I love bread,but it doesnt like me.
Leads to depressions anxiety and general lethargy if I eat it.
Raw seems to help alot.
I have not heard of dangers eating raw,except how people might react to it..."oh no,where do you get your protein,or B12,or any other nutrient."
That seems to be the biggest danger.
But what a major advancement over the SAD raw is.
Brian

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 03, 2008 08:37PM

ALL food comes from raw sources originally. What conceivable dangers can their be with skipping the cooking process for fresh, clean plant foods? Cooking does nothing (in my opinion) to improve the bio-availability of vitamins/nutrients/aminos....so why do it?

-There are many pre-conceptions. But I think that you'll find that if you talk to the folks who have been eating this way in the long term, that they are happy....healthy....and in many cases have medical bloodwork that generally backs up those statements.

-In any event, the above posts are great. There are many sites like Fitday and the Nutrient Database that can help you to measure your calorie and nutrient intake.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 04, 2008 03:15AM

I think she has got it all wrong. IMO there is more danger eating fast foods and junk foods then there is from eating foods from the produce department.

Posted by: powerbraid ()
Date: June 04, 2008 03:39AM

Thank you all so much!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 04, 2008 04:06AM

Matt Monarch talks about the cons of a raw food diet in his books.

[www.rawspirit.org]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 05, 2008 11:56PM

I think the biggest dangers are

falling in love with dogma
failure to eat enough calories
failure to secure adequate and reliable source of b12

some of the minerals are tricky, but easy if you eat enough greens and a brazil nut daily.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: June 06, 2008 01:08AM

some people sadly dont know that they are worthy of a diet that is all desert

fortunately WE do!!!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 07, 2008 02:52AM

fruitgirl,

I like that-- all desert, all the time. ;-) I find I have to have some greens and some vegies about 1/3 of the time, but I know there are some who thrive on all fruit-- No doubt i'm 'still toxic after all these years', lol.

Bottom line, I guess: we each have to find our own unique way.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: June 07, 2008 03:17PM

What a beautiful tribute to June Carter
Cash! Janice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables