Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is bottled kombucha raw?
Date: June 06, 2008 08:53PM

I apologize in advance if this is one of those 'beating a dead horse' topics done to death here, but I searched and didn't find anything of substance. I've been reading up on kombucha and see that they sell it in several all-raw places near me. My question is less to do with the tea itself and more to do with the bottling process. It's always been my understanding that sealing bottles or jars involves steaming as a sealant and to create a sterile enviro inside the bottle. Does anyone know for a fact that the raw kombucha sold in bottles hasn't been exposed to heat in the bottling process?

Many thanks for any insights. I've read so much about this tea lately.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is bottled kombucha raw?
Date: June 08, 2008 10:56PM

I just had my first bottle (pretty good tasting) and it was like drinking 3 beers. I felt a little bit drunk. Anyone know why it would affect like that? I didn't like the feeling at all.

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: June 08, 2008 11:04PM

I thought it was considered "live" as opposed to "raw" because although cooked, it has probiotics.

You got drunk because it's fermented.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 09, 2008 12:44AM

I categorize kombucha with miso -- what the probiotics feed on is cooked, but the probiotics themselves are raw. I have a scobe, but I'm not very faithful with it. :{

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: June 09, 2008 08:04AM

<I just had my first bottle (pretty good tasting) and it was like drinking 3 beers. I felt a little bit drunk.?

There's a small percentage of alcohol in Kombucha, which is why you felt a bit tipsy. In fact, some brands have almost as much as beer. I also got way woozy the first time I drank one so I just stay away. Don't much like that feeling either.

~lanie

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 09, 2008 08:14AM

I used to get that feeling too from it. Then I got addicted to the stuff and I guess I built up a 'tollerance" for it. lol. I stay away from it now just because for some reason it doesn't really give me a good feeling anymore. I have adrenal problems and I actually get tired after drinking it and feel a little weak.

My other problem with the bottled kombucha has more to do with the caps used. I can taste metal on some of them from the metal caps. I just used to bypass the metal leakage by using a straw. Anyone else ever notice that?

Some caps are like beer bottles where you actaully need a bottle opener to pop the cap off and others are just screwed on with a plastic ring sealed around it. So I don't know what steam sealing would have to do with that. Probably better off emailing the actual company and asking this. Some are all for the "raw" thing and careful.

Date: June 09, 2008 12:18PM

Thanks everybody, for the helpful insights and info! I'm going to stick with water tongue sticking out smiley

(I got a metallic taste too)

Posted by: nnaydolem ()
Date: June 13, 2008 09:00PM

i love kombucha...i actually started my own batch last nite. It really has helped me deal with my missing of soda. I like the fizziness of it.

i don't taste the metal..but then i have been drinking pop out of a can for 30+ years.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: June 23, 2008 02:20AM

usually, they're some dehydrated cane sugar in that...Wich is...NOT RAW!

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: June 23, 2008 03:37AM

It's "live" (like yogurt) but not technically raw.

Date: June 23, 2008 02:58PM

For those who miss the fizziness of soda, what about sparkling mineral water? Not club or seltzer, but actual water that's naturally sparkling? Does anyone drink it?

Raw again since April 29, 2008.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables