Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

*newbie* raw shopping
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 07, 2008 04:35AM

Hi! I hope I'm doing this in the right place! I've been doing a lot of research on raw fooding lately, and I think I'm ready to begin a new way of life! I am extremely confused, however, about grocery shopping. I have picked a lot of raw recipes that I'm going to start out with but when I went to the store I was never sure if something was really raw or whether it needed to actually say raw on it. I guess my dilemma was mostly that I would see something like agave nectar at one store and then at another it would say "raw" on it. so does that mean the other one i saw wasn't raw? what about nuts/seeds? do they have to say raw on them too? I'm assuming most vegetables don't need to say raw, right? I'm just very uncertain and I haven't really been able to find much to answer my questions online. So here are my main questions:

-which types of foods (if any) do I not ever have to worry about the label/package saying "raw" on it because they are naturally that way? (e.g. fruits? veggies? nuts/seeds?)
-do things like salt, vanilla, almond butter, tahini, granola, hemp, etc. have to say "raw" on the package for it to be raw or are they just naturally that way?
-i hear all about "green powders" and "super greens." are these things products? brands? specific foods? I'm very confused!
-does it matter if the fresh produce i buy is organic? (as far as being "raw" goes)
-what is the deal with these controversial foods/ingrediants? (like agave nectar) will it work against my health to still consume these types of foods? does that make you not 100% raw?
-are dried fruits raw?
-what about sushi? i seem to hear mixed things on fish and such (speaking of that, i've seen "wild fresh caught fish" on "raw shopping lists" i don't really understand this unless you truly eat it raw?)

yeah...i think that's all of my questions for now :] sorry to be a bother! also, if anyone could suggest stores that have are known for their selection in raw foods that would be great as I went to three different stores today and still found only about 2/3 of the items on my list. (things like raw cocoa powder, granola and carob powder were nowhere to be found)

Thanks in advance from a very new, excited and confused raw food-wannabee!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2008 04:43AM by funkyfresh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: *newbie* raw shopping
Date: June 07, 2008 05:07AM

Hi funkyfresh - welcome! I share your excitement winking smiley

-which types of foods (if any) do I not ever have to worry about the label/package saying "raw" on it because they are naturally that way? (e.g. fruits? veggies? nuts/seeds?)

All of your fresh produce is raw, of course, but for everything else, just use your senses to determine if something's been processed. Like, if a nice big whole fresh pineapple is staring you in the face, that's a fresh, raw pineapple. If you're looking at a can of "fresh" pineapple slices though, that's another thing entirely. Don't eat from cans. Eat fresh, whole, unprocessed food. Nuts are yet another controversial food, as some raw foodist insist that no nut is truly raw, because of heat being involved in the shelling process. I stay away from nuts myself.

-do things like salt, vanilla, almond butter, tahini, granola, hemp, etc. have to say "raw" on the package for it to be raw or are they just naturally that way?

That depends on who you ask smiling smiley All of those things you listed are debatable raw products and depending on who is answering you, you may get different answers. I buy tahini that says raw, fresh, unprocessed on it, and I get it at a raw health food store, for example. None of those foods that you mentioned are naturally raw though, except possibly salt. All the others would have to specifically say raw on the label.

-what is the deal with these controversial foods/ingrediants? (like agave nectar) will it work against my health to still consume these types of foods? does that make you not 100% raw?

As far as agave goes, some say that there is no way the syrup can be culled from the cactus without heat being involved. It's one of those foods that is always going to be controversial, like cacao or nuts. It's up to you to determine whether or not you want to consume it. For me personally, I did start off consuming it and then decided that I was better off without it. That's something for you to decide.

-are dried fruits raw?

Sure, if they're dried at a low temperature. There's no way to really be sure of the temp unless you dry your own though.

Lots of foods seem to be not truly raw, even if the word raw is right there on the label....it's maddening, and yes, confusing! If I could offer a bit of unasked-for advice, try not to worry too much in the beginning about these minor details, and just enjoy the different tastes and textures, and really...just enjoy eating! You'll probably just naturally gravitate towards editing your way of eating to what suits you best, as you go along.

Alissa Cohen sells some quality raw food items on her site - [www.alissacohen.com] and there are several other places that others may suggest. Where do you live? I have several raw places near me in PA, for example - depending on where you live, we might be able to suggest a local place to shop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2008 05:08AM by something beautiful.

Date: June 07, 2008 05:32AM

thank you so much for your answers something beautiful! they were very helpful! i'm located in michigan, near ann arbor. while it's a college town thats very hippie/liberal, i haven't been able to track down a very good store although i very well could be overlooking something! (we do have a whole foods) i'm on a somewhat tight budget, so ordering online is a bit out of the question as of now. Hopefully, someday when i have a real job (i'm a student :]) i can afford to purchase more extravagances (as i see them at least!)

thank you again and i'd love to hear any other advice you may have :]

p.s. i'm also curious as to soy milks and such. i haven't done much reading so i'm sure there is a simple answer, but why are coconut/almond milks okay, but not soy/dairy free ones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2008 05:34AM by funkyfresh.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 07, 2008 08:12AM

Theres ways to do raw on a budget for sure.

I dont use nuts/seeds much thesedays, just fresh food

shopping from farmers markets, buying bulk and keeping your eyes peeled for offers helps a lot!!

You will soon get into the swing of things and how much food you need for a period of time..think that only comes with practise!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw since March 2007

http://rawveganlondoner.blogspot.com/

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 07, 2008 11:40AM

Welcome! Great questions. My take:

1) Eat only stuff that would potentially grow if you put it in the ground. This applies to fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Later, you may find that most nuts are dried and not viable...and may wish to cut down or cut out....but this is not necessary for a beginner.

2) Avoid anything in a package...if you are aiming for the highest health. Avoid chemicals, medications, salts and spices....unless necessary.

3) I think you can achieve 99.9% of the results you wish with conventional produce....if you can't afford organic....don't sweat it.

4) Different foods are only controversial or confusing if YOU haven't tried and seen what works for YOU. I'm not the least bit confused about what works for me (or doesn't! Ha! ha!).

5) Dried fruit: not raw...but tasty! Ha! ha! Listen: don't get hung up on the word 'raw'. Think: "Fresh, unprocessed fruits and vegetables" and you can't go wrong!

6) I avoid all animal products - as less than optimal and efficient foods. (Certainly the animals themselves find the process less than optimal! Heh...heh.) I know that this particular board does not support using animal products.

-These are just my opinions and experiences, which I hope are a little helpful.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: June 07, 2008 11:53AM

agreed

didnt notice the nut mlyk question

packaged dairy free milks heated

make your own nut or seed mlyks if you want a substitute

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 07, 2008 12:00PM

I keep it simple by separating the foods into two categories 1) raw foods 2) not raw foods. To further simplify it I only eat foods from the first category, no exceptions. The first category (raw foods) are obviously true fresh raw foods and can be found growing on farms, in farmers markets, in gardens, and in produce departments of grocery stores. Examples of raw foods are apples, oranges, bananas etc. Examples of foods in the not truly raw category are foods like macaroni & cheese, donuts, french fries, etc. If there is any doubt what so ever about a food being raw or not then I pass and get truly raw food that I know will bless my body with radiant good health and wellness.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 07, 2008 04:05PM

As for liquid consumables (juices, milks, etc.), unless you either juice a fruit yourself or make the nut milk yourself (which is easy!), assume it has been pasteurized. If you are unsure, unless something blatantly says "raw," "unpasteurized," "uncooked," I'd err on the side of caution and assume the worst. Most anything in any kind of package has to be pasteurized by law, and you have to think about extending shelf life, too.

Raw recipes are GREAT for transitioning--but sometimes shopping for all the ingredients can be a lot of work, and very expensive. Don't be afraid to experiment with simplicity, and eat some good old fresh fruit. Raw gourmet is my treat on the weekends, but on weekdays my treat is fresh berries, mangoes, peaches, canteloupe, bananas, the list goes on. =D

Date: June 08, 2008 12:13AM

Wow, thank you all SO much for all the feedback!! You've pretty much answered all the questions I had. I will definately look to sticking with basic, easy foods that will not consume too much time/money and won't make my head explode when trying to make sure they're really things i should be eating :]

at the market today, i stumbled across "montgomery cheddar cheese." the cheese is imported from england is is unpasteurized. does this mean it's okay to eat? it's very expensive ($30/lb!) but it tastes incredible. someone mentioned that this particular board is against animal products, but is that a staple of raw fooders or is it just a particular viewpoint of some? (i just look at the foods i won't be eating, and cheese will be one of the hardest to break away from)

p.s. i was just on a website and a lady said she wasn't 100% raw and listed some foods that she ate that weren't considered raw. she listed cruciferous vegetables as one of them. what kind of vegetables does this group entail and why aren't they raw? (i thought all veggies were?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2008 12:25AM by funkyfresh.

Date: June 08, 2008 03:58PM

On the topic of "greens powders" I have learned that there are many varieties,but most center around containing sea algae,and various types of grasses.If you are interested just ask a clerk at a health food store "do you have any greens powders".They should direct you to what I am talking about if they have anything like it.I mix one tsp. of this powder in 8 oz of water,and sip on it usually in the morning.The flavor takes getting used to,but I do think these drinks help in an overall good eating plan.
Brian

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 08, 2008 05:51PM

I have found that I am getting excellent results eating simple meals of fresh raw vegan foods without anything else like powders, supplements, etc.

Date: June 08, 2008 09:00PM

This is a vegan board, so we dont eat dairy products ie. cheese

agreed with the above

Just buy lots of produce.. enjoy.. it dosent have to be over complicated!

(then again, if recipies help you stay raw to start off with then.. go ahead..its better than eating SAD rubbish)

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 09, 2008 01:28AM

Stick with the produce section, no worries there.

If it's from a nut or a seed, you can make your own and assure it's raw, except for the mandatory pasteurization of almonds, and usually for other nuts it has to be in the shell for some reasonable assurance that it hasn't been heat treated. The other stuff is usually pretty processed even if it is really at low temps so it kind of defeats the purpose.

-i hear all about "green powders" and "super greens." are these things products? brands? specific foods? I'm very confused!

I think you are better served by consuming fresh green leaves.

-does it matter if the fresh produce i buy is organic? (as far as being "raw" goes)

I don't think so, but if you can afford it, go for it. I can't.

Just eat an apple or a pear, or juice/puree them and use them as you would use agave nectar: same sugar substrate as agave nectar but cheaper and not so processed.

-are dried fruits raw?

Sort of but they are oxidized and, well, not fresh. I have them only rarely, as garnish on salads.

-what about sushi?

Depends on what it contains, dried seaweed? Cuke usually ok, shredded carrot. I guess if you want to be safe you can make your own with these things and onions and other veggies and raw tahini or other semi-dehydrated nut/seed milk/cheese.

The raw Nazi police will not be jumping out from the aisles if you buy anything questionable or not really raw (but the vegan police will want to arrest you if you eat expensive gourmet cheeses or fish).

If these things help you to stay mostly raw that is still probably better than mostly not raw.

Date: June 09, 2008 01:41AM

"p.s. i was just on a website and a lady said she wasn't 100% raw and listed some foods that she ate that weren't considered raw. she listed cruciferous vegetables as one of them. what kind of vegetables does this group entail and why aren't they raw? (i thought all veggies were?)"

That doesn't make any sense... all vegetables are raw until you cook them... cruciferous vegetables include things like broccoli, cabbage, kale, radishes and arugula to name a few. They can be and are often eaten raw.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 09, 2008 01:41PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The raw Nazi police will not be jumping out from
> the aisles if you buy anything questionable or not
> really raw...

Yeah, the raw police used to be a real problem around here, but David Zane Mason sorted that "problem" out and they don't show up any more. (Don't ask what he did to them.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 09, 2008 05:01PM

> -which types of foods (if any) do I not ever have
> to worry about the label/package saying "raw" on
> it because they are naturally that way? (e.g.
> fruits? veggies? nuts/seeds?)

Frozen fruit is raw, I eat a lot of that. I like it because it is picked ripe (as far as I know).

> -i hear all about "green powders" and "super
> greens." are these things products? brands?
> specific foods? I'm very confused!

Sprirulina is a type of green powder, it's a dried algae. I get mine from the bulk food section of the health store.

> -does it matter if the fresh produce i buy is
> organic? (as far as being "raw" goes)

I don't buy organic, I'd love too though.

> -what is the deal with these controversial
> foods/ingrediants? (like agave nectar) will it
> work against my health to still consume these
> types of foods? does that make you not 100% raw?

I like agave nectar for a few things, I prefer it to maple syrup when doing the master clease. And it's useful in a few other recipes, I think I use less than an 8 oz bottle every month. Don't worry about being 100% until you've got a lot of practice at raw, you're still going to a lot of the benefits of 100% at 80%.

> -are dried fruits raw?

Rasins are naturally dried in the sun, and I've heard that you can tell that dates are dried at higher heats if their skins are exceptionally shiny.

And I'm glad you brought up cheese, even if this is a vegan board, because you might want to know that unpateurized milk (and cheese) probablay carries the leukemia virus.
[www.all-creatures.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables