Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Spinach & pregnancy
Posted by: blue_butterfly ()
Date: June 07, 2008 05:01PM

I've been drinking at least one green smoothie a day that has several handfuls of spinach in it and I've also recently become pregnant. Are there any issues with consuming large quantities of spinach while pregnant? I've read that oxalates may inhibit calcium and iron absorption as well as possibly creating gastrointestinal problems...spinach is known to contain oxalates. I get plenty of calcium and iron from other sources, so I'm not too concerned about that but I also don't want to be consuming something that's potentially harmful to me or my unborn baby.

If spinach isn't the best right now then does anyone have any recommendations for other high quality greens to use in a smoothie that don't have too bitter of a taste?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2008 05:01PM by blue_butterfly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinach & pregnancy
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 07, 2008 05:30PM

A few handfuls a day won't do any harm, that would be maybe 50 calories at the most. They have lots of good stuff aside from calcium and iron. You will still absorb some them by the way, just not as much as if the oxalic acid wasn't there.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: June 09, 2008 06:07PM

Congrats on the new pregnancy!!! Super!!

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 10, 2008 05:12PM

i craved spinach dreadfully during my pregnancies-
i ate 1/2 lb a day for some months.

all the iron and nutrients really balance any negative qualities. if you are hungry for it, trust your body. my iron levels always stayed very high during and after pregnancy. this is a nice thing to show off since most people think you need a lot of red meat or grains (fortified) to keep up your iron.

also heard that the oxalic acid in raw spinach is less accessible, and that your body passes through what it doesn't need instead of storing the excess. therefore, you take what you need and pass on the rest.

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables