Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Global 24-Hour Water Fast Saturday 14th June
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 10, 2008 04:43PM

Mmm! Avocados, young coconuts, avocados, cantaloupe melons, figs, durians (for some)….have you ever thought that you might simply have moved from being ‘food-obsessed’ to ‘raw food-obsessed’? Nah, not you!

Do you ever feel you might be thinking about food, your diet, just a little too much?

Do you find yourself constantly nibbling (so many tasty foods in the fridge, and you’re allowed to eat them – all – and you do!)?

Are you suffering from ‘raw food information’ overload?

Have you eaten more cooked food than you intended to recently?

Could you feel better right now despite being high or 100% raw?

Do you think you would find it quite easy to go without food for 24 hours, but, in fact, you’ve never tried it?

Well…how about trying it? This Saturday.

Before you think of a hundred reasons not to, please give some thought to joining the

Global 24-Hour Water Fast Saturday 14th June.

· Free
· No supplements or superfoods (water only)
· No registration
· No significant life re-organisation.

Proven, tried and tested benefits – physical, psychological, spiritual.

Information and tips can be found at:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

And, if you’re an experienced faster and well aware of the rewards of fasting, do consider responding and even joining in, as your (virtual) presence will help and motivate all.

Love, Debbie Took

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global 24-Hour Water Fast Saturday 14th June
Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: June 10, 2008 06:23PM

I'm in. I just did a 32 hour water fast. It felt pretty good. I was planning another one for next Monday, but will join in on Saturday (o;

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2008 06:23PM by RawSun.

Date: June 10, 2008 08:33PM

Hi Sunflower

That's excellent. I've posted this on other forums as well, so there will be virtual companions.

Love, Debbie

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 10, 2008 08:48PM

Debbie,

I followed your link to the blog and just wanted to tell you how interesting and informative I thought it was.
Enjoyed it, esp. the recipe for sprouted wheat bread (Essene version) - keep up the wonderful articles!

And that Saturday fast is looking good to me at this time. Count me in!

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:02PM

It is a Hindu fast day called "Ekadashi" related to the cycles of the moon

see for example. Some dry fast at this time.

[www.sunfoodpages.com]

for dates:

[www.iskconbangalore.org]

I will join in.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: June 11, 2008 02:01AM

I'm in too. It will be great to do together!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 11, 2008 03:46AM

Sure. Why not? It's only 24 hours. =D

Date: June 11, 2008 04:22AM

Hi Jackie, Happyway, Lizard, Phantom and anyone else who will be joining in

Really exciting to get up this morning and find all the replies on the various forums I've posted this.

I'll be looking in again tomorrow!

Date: June 11, 2008 04:24AM

Hi Jackie

Thank you so much for comments, which are very encouraging - these always make me want to do more. Much appreciated.

Love, Debbie

Posted by: Weronika ()
Date: June 11, 2008 04:50PM

hi!
I will try this. Its only 24h but I think it will be hard. I just have to keep in mind "its only 24h"

Thanks for the post and link!
Weronika

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 11, 2008 08:51PM

I think it will be easier to know that a bunch of other people, somewhere in the human groupmind, are fasting, too! And I have some challenging things to do Saturday, so clarity and a goal on which to focus sounds like a P-L-A-N! (t?).

I did a 10 day MC, so 24 hours, really--can't be too rough! ^.~

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: June 12, 2008 12:41AM

from midnight th 14th?

Date: June 12, 2008 06:23AM

Hi Weronika, Gorillawar

Good to have you on board! Suggest start midnight Fri/Sat, ie 'at the end of Friday night', using your own time zone.

Love, Debbie

Date: June 13, 2008 08:58AM

The Global 24-hour Water Fast starts Saturday 14th June (or a little earlier if you’ve pulled it forward), using your own time zone.

It’s not too late to join us!

Raw fooders around the world are taking part - 75% are from the US, with the rest (so far) based in Canada, India, Ireland, Norway and UK (hope I haven’t missed any out!).

Here’s an extract from the blog article on preparation for the fast:

PREPARATION TIPS

I'm an expert on finding excuses not to fast - must have used most of them in the past, out of laziness, trying to avoid doing just a little work on myself, as that's what a fast is.

If you're thinking 'can't fast Saturday as I'm out in the evening', pull the fast forward a little, eg go Friday 8 pm to Saturday 8 pm.

An excuse I came up with relatively recently was that there was so much food in the fridge it would be wasted if I didn't eat it. So, if your fridge is packed right now, start running down supplies, so you can't use that one. BUT just before you start the fast, get in some of your very favourite fruit, as a reward for when the fast is over. A purchase, eg of some exotic fruit, that you might normally consider extravagant would be justified by the money you're saving on food on the fast day.

If you still eat a little cooked food, don't have a cooked food blow-out on the Friday, using the excuse that because you're fasting Saturday all your excesses will be covered. All it will mean is that that opportunity for your body to do some significant house-cleaning will be lost, as the fasting day will likely be taken up solely with undoing the effects of the day before, so net progress nil. Also, a poor diet the day before the fast will make the fast day that much harder, as some uncomfortable detox symptoms may be experienced, eg tiredness, flu-like symptoms. So, ideally, follow at least a high raw diet for 1-2 days prior to the fast. You can eat plenty, but just make sure it's all good stuff.

Water - four litres (eight pints) should be more than enough (in fact, I never drink anything like that much). If like most people you don't have a state-of-the-art ioniser or distillation system, use a filter jug or bottled water.

If you’d like more information about 24-hour fasting (including tips for during), the main article can be accessed at:

Meanwhile, I’ve decided on my post-fast fruit. Watermelon (although if the store doesn’t have any, papaya probably).

I shall be logging into forums at various points Saturday –

Best wishes everyone!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 13, 2008 12:17PM

I'm in! I always work on Saturdays and with really good food. I have it off this weekend!!! So yay!

Date: June 13, 2008 09:00PM

Hi Sundancer

Just logged in before going to bed (10 pm in UK), and really good to see you're joining!

Date: June 14, 2008 08:29AM

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!

In the UK (and Ireland), as I’m writing this, it’s 9 am in the morning.
In France and Norway, it’s 10 am.

Aishwarya in India’s ahead of the game – it’s 2.30 pm there!

Canada and East Coast USA – a few ‘early birds’ may be rising – it’s 4 am there.

West Coast USA – 1 am.

So, Saturday has started for everyone – very best wishes to all on the Global 24-Hour Water Fast!

For general support (eg how to combat those things that could break your resolve – forewarned is forearmed!) see the section ‘During the Fast’ in my article at:

Date: June 14, 2008 03:48PM

Hi Debbie and everyone--
I feel really good right now. I ate all raw yesterday, even though I worked a banquet last night that had delicious veg food and was allowed to eat it. Just eating my avo and sprouts while smelling and seeing all this food was big for me. I also ate light. I hadn't fasted for fifteen years before today -- another reason this is big. I'm hoping this fast is the catalyst for a jump to all live foods, because that is when I feel best, when I'm at 100%. So thanks for starting this!
Sundancer

Date: June 14, 2008 04:12PM

And thank YOU, Sundancer, for the feedback - motivating for me, and for all!

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 14, 2008 10:35PM

This could not have come at a better time for me.

I'm feeling good, strong, and a bit hungry, but not STARVING if you know what I mean.

I'm also planning on following up with a juice fast tomorrow, and 100% raw starting Monday.

Thanks for the heads up!

Date: June 14, 2008 11:10PM

Me either! Funny how the universe works! I'm still feeling really good. I'm hungry, but I don't really care and it's easy to ignore this (they're not really "pains" but quiet signals) or tell myself that I'm resting my digestive system, which is thanking me by not hurting (like when I eat cooked). I have been really thirsty, though, so I've been drinking lots of water, which I figure is a good thing. I also felt earlier today like I "had" to do yoga, so I did some and was INCREDIBLY energized by it. Then I had to dance! And my mind and emotions are nice and calm! So, good day so far, and thanks, Debbie!

Posted by: cal_gundert05 ()
Date: June 15, 2008 04:44AM

"Are you suffering from ‘raw food information’ overload?

Have you eaten more cooked food than you intended to recently?"

Yeah, that's me. I haven't eaten all day (been sleeping, mostly), then remembered this post about an hour ago, and figured I'd go all the way.

I've been eating a ton of junk food the past few days, and I wanted to use the weekend to 'reboot.' So far, so good. smiling smiley

Posted by: Weronika ()
Date: June 15, 2008 05:47AM

Hi!

I did the water fast yesturday and feel really good today!
The best thing was actually to not have to think about food and what I should eat.

Im not 100% raw. It varies alot unfortunately! This came at a good time for me also.

Im wondering one thing.... how often can one water fast? Im thinking 1/week a couple of weeks ahead. Just because I feel so good and think it helped me in many ways.

Weronika, Sweden

Date: June 15, 2008 07:52AM

Hi Weronika

I have read lots to suggest that one day a week brings lots of benefits.

Very best wishes (there is a LOT of information on fasting on the internet - some of it conflicts, so you'll have to have a good sort through!).

Love, Debbie

Date: June 15, 2008 07:52AM

CONGRATULATIONS, EVERYONE!!!!!

It's 8.30 am UK now, which means it's past midnight everywhere else, which means the Global 24-Hour Water Fast is over.

I once read somewhere that when you go raw your eyes shine! The weird thing is, I don't think my eyes shine all the time, but when I 'connect' with other raw people, either face-to-face, or online, I can feel my eyes starting to shine!

I broke my fast with watermelon, and was disappointed to find I'd bought one of those anaemic pink seedless ones! So I made myself feel better with two papaya. Oh, and then a banana-cacao smoothie. Now that might all sound a bit excessive, but the last is only because my son asked for one, and you know...there was some left over, and....

I've felt so excited every time I've started to answer the frequent groups of messages in the inbox, and it's great to know that so many of you, ie the first-timers, have done something that you weren't quite sure (or even strongly doubted) that you could do!

To all those who are continuing beyond the 24-hour point, I'm going to use my disclaimer/get-out now...I know there are huge benefits to going beyond 24 hours, but you will now need to research independently for support, as I feel 'qualified' to encourage and support for a 24-hour fast only. And most of the material I have read on fasting recommends supervision by a professional after the three-day point.

Best wishes to all of you, and thanks to all who have committed. I'd say the easiest way to get through a fast is to organise a global one. Constantly checking into several forums and answering the messages certainly makes the time go quickly!

Love to you all, Debbie

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: June 15, 2008 08:37AM

I was in, and broke it this morning 10am Spain with a wheatgrass shot, and some strawberries, cherries and plums from the garden. I was at a seed exchange event, so busy all day, and not so difficult to go on.
Now, I feel ready to go prepare the 2 double dug beds I planned for today.
Cheers

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: June 15, 2008 12:03PM

Good morning! I haven't broken my fast yet, but I plan to with two huge pears waiting for me, then I'm going to go graze in the gardens. Mmmmm...chocolate smoothie...
Sundancer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables