Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I need to vent
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: June 13, 2008 09:32PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to post something and talk to you all about this again...

I have shared my experiences with you all and talked about my journey.

But here I am .. looking at my own family and I am not able to believe this. My husband's asthma is back and he is on inhalers (doctor's advise) and having a hard time. It looks like he has severe Hay Fever and thats whats causing the asthma. As always the doctor said it is nothing to stress about, just take the inhaler...

He eats 100% raw vegan.
He has fasted and done SWF, juice fasting and it is not working for him at all.

I don't know what to do. He was off all meds and now he is taking them again.

I surely feel like I failed some how. I know I posted few weeks back about how many of my relatives are sick (cooked vegetarians) with different ailments and I was so proud that I am on the most superior diet.

Now I am questioning everythign again.. I thought this was it. Yes, I know that diet is one aspect, we also need to control stress, get exercise and all that..

But what did we do? Why did he get this back? Does this mean that it is only a metter of time and I will get my former illnesses back also while I am still eating raw?

I am unable to answer these questions. Here I was thinking "oh my cousin has diabetes and she is just 30, if she eats raw, she can improve that etc etc" and I am not able to help som one in my own house... Why was I thinking of every one else and why did I just think that it will all go away once I go raw.. It seemed to me like it all did go away, but why did it come back?

On top of everything, my MIL and FIL are coming this weekend and they absolutely hate that we are eating raw. They are sure that we will get weak and get sick and just at this time, my husband is taking meds and not feeling good at all...

I was so proud that I would tell her, "See stopped dairy and started eating raw and his asthma is cured".. but now I feel like she is waiting to say "I told you so".

Sorry I had to vent.

Take care
A Iyer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2008 09:44PM by anuiyer7.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need to vent
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: June 13, 2008 10:57PM

Anulyer7,

I am not aware of your initial posts so I am going to make an assumption here - you and your husband went raw, his asthma went away, and now all of a sudden it is back. I am assuming this to be correct and basing what I write next on that.

You mention stress. I had my first asthma attack (as an adult) 2 weeks before I was to marry someone that I knew was a mistake. Connection?? Could it be that the coming of the in-laws has aroused some angst within your husband?

I have not had an asthma attack or related problems (coughing is a sign too) for close to 2 years - maybe more because I have lost track. Getting the crap out of my life - literally and figuratively has had a big impact. I left a job I was unhappy with and got out of an unhealthy relationship.

The cleaner I make my diet, the more sensitive I notice I am whenever I ingest something that can be an excitotoxin to the body.

Oh, I should note, that I also underwent drug-free allergy-elimination by an osteopath/homeopath.

Here are some items that help me:
*no cold foods
*no grains but getting rid of wheat especially was the key
*no onion
*no spices
*no liquid amino acids
*no chocolate (definitely aggravates the asthma)
*alkalinize as much as possible

One final thought, it is possible that your husband is not ready to make a 100% jump and this is his way of his body telling him to slow things down. He may have pent-up anxiety about all of it.

Good luck. Whatever you do, asthma attacks are nothing to shrug off and can be deadly. Pay attention to the signals the body gives. If stress is an issue, a technique called EFT is very beneficial to help calm and center yourself. I used it a little at work today when I was getting uptight before a presentation I had to give. I am adding a link to Dr. Mercola's site that describes how it works and how to do it.

[www.mercola.com]

Good luck.
Patty

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 13, 2008 11:08PM

I hear you Anuiyer7. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be. My thoughts:

-All we can do is maximize what WE think are the healthiest. We eat the best foods we know....live the most healthy lifestyles we know and are capable of. Why worry about the rest? Is you husband eating the foods HE wants?

-There are 2 aspects: There is a CRISIS.....and then there is LIFESTYLE. Crisis (if they don't take out out) are only .1% of our lives.....and they quickly give way to LIFESTYLE. As such.....getting through a crisis is the #1 priority. Once this is done, establishing a lifestyle that allows us to DO joy.....is paramount. Eat in a way that is not stressful....set some small goals....with timetables and stretch from there. Eating raw is not a "cure-all".....but then I suppose you knew that. There are many other aspects to lifestyle.

YOU and YOUR health are your primary concern - otherwise you won't be able to care for your husband the way you wish. This includes your THOUGHTS and attitudes. You diet is a VERY PRIVATE issue. Why even allow the topic for discussion? Family has a tendency to step past emotional boundaries...heh...heh.

-In any event, it will all work out fine. Power to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: cy ()
Date: June 13, 2008 11:27PM

a lot of time that I need some advise I go to www.curezone.com

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: June 14, 2008 01:34AM

Patience?

I don't know if eating this way is going to cure all my genetic predispositions, past injuries, past dietary mistakes (and there were plenty!), current exposure to toxins and allergens and stresses, youthful << ahem >> indiscretions smiling smiley ... etc.

I eat this way because I love the food and because I feel better eating this way than I did when I ate other ways.

Figuring out why he is having asthma is a tough one. That's one of those things like fatigue or headache. I say this not to discourage you but to encourage you to have patience.

I do hope things are getting better.

For me... I need to remember that what I eat is just part of the whole picture.

Lee

"May all beings be happy."

[www.dhamma.org]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 14, 2008 02:12AM

Remember, one of the biggest reasons raw works the way it does is the fact that RAW and *ONLY* raw food does NOT engage the immune system for digestion. This is huge, because 80% of our immune system hangs out in the GI tract.

Eating raw is only one component of a whole lifestyle, as everyone pointed out before, and it will not make you immortal.

It can, however, help your body choose its battles wisely. If your husband were constantly assaulting his immune system with cooked food, as much as 80% of the immune system would be engaged in digestion--leaving only 20% to take care of the asthma, etc.

Sticking to a fresh, simple, healthy way of eating is just standing clear and giving the body the resources it needs to do its work in times of crisis, without further hampering what needs to be done. The even bigger dangers happen with diet when the body is SOOO backlogged with toxic, barely digestible byproducts, the normal healing crisis (asthma, in this case) wouldn't happen at all. And then a tumor, or some awful degenerative disease could pop up. Getting sick is just the body working extra hard to get back to baseline, so it's a good sign when the body HAS the energy to make a corrective shift.

Just continue to be positive, honor the body's needs--don't refuse a prime source of nourishment just because something falters... and needs extra care!

I would also recommend looking into emotional/environmental factors--something as close to the heart as family is easy to cause some worry and stress.

Be patient! Love and best wishes to both of you. =)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 14, 2008 03:40AM

if he is doing a juice fast... then the allergens that were lodged in his tissues or wherever will be dislodged ( detoxified) and then

RECIRCULATE back into his system thus they may recreate the asthma symptoms

just an idea

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 14, 2008 09:56PM

I feel for you and have been in the same place myself. I just kept tweaking my diet. Since there are many, many, many ways to eat raw I got myself to where I felt it is the best it can be for me. Who cares what everyone else does is what it came down to. Even then I understood issues still would come up, but I was giving my system the best conditions to deal with it and such is life. I carried on. Just because it's 100% raw doesn't mean it's the best choice if the method or preparation isn't fit for the person.

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: June 14, 2008 10:17PM

Tanawana -
can you talk more about how you kept tweaking your diet? What worked and what didn't? What is best for you now? I am working issues out in mine, and just would like to have your experiences to take from as well.

I wish I had advice for you A lyer, I just am in a stuck place myself right now. I will be thinking of you and hoping that it all works out for you the way that you want it to in the very least. xoxo

Date: June 14, 2008 10:39PM

Sorry if I gave the impression of having asthma. I dealt with other issues but the story is the same for sure :O)

So what is best for me may not be for anyone else. I quickly found no over fats, mono-meals, smaller meals, eating with focus and only when hungry work very well and I imagine would for anyone in most cases. Lettuce greens and celery were 2 things I couldn't handle in any form, so I just didn't eat them and never have since. Much scarier decision at the time ofcourse. But to me, this is some tweaking examples among others, where I had to find what worked for my situation. It can be a very long, slow process but it beats suffering. It may never end suffering and their can always be a so called crisis or relapse but at least, in my case at least, I am far more aware of what is going on. Long story and maybe some of my ramblings helped ;O)

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: June 14, 2008 10:46PM

Can you tell me a day in the life of....?
It seems that my addiction to cooked food has reared its ugly head due to the emotional stress I am going through, and I am just wondering how to get back on the wagon again. Don't want to steal this thread, but am wondering if you can just give me a quick rundown of meals. Thanks! VF

Date: June 15, 2008 04:42AM

Not quite sure how that would help - I'd just say stick to doing the best you can, as long as you always have site of the goal.

Posted by: northernstars ()
Date: June 15, 2008 06:41PM

My thyroid is improving as I add a remedy called Thyro-Balance by Future Formulations. I am also taking their adrenal remedies and they all seem to be helping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2008 06:48PM by northernstars.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables