Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Question about a raw-foodist eating cooked...
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 27, 2008 01:47PM

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 01:53PM by tanawana.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: happyway ()
Date: June 27, 2008 03:06PM

madinah

Did you ever do 100% raw? For how long? Did you fail to get benefits?
If you did it for awhile did you suffer cravings you couldn't deal with?
What is your story?
Why do you keep telling people they're ok if they fail?
Everybody already knows that. People just want to feel their best.
And the evidence is in that 100% raw-organic-properly-combined-diet, does just that,
for many people who had otherwise incurable health problems. And also that many of these people found 100% much easier than 99%.
So What is your story?

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 27, 2008 04:54PM

Support group for crawlers... Tough love, eh? tongue sticking out smiley

I'm sure I cried when I fell down, at least once or twice. (I still have scars on my knees from when I ate dirt as a child doing crazy things on my bike.)

I'm definitely committed to being 100% raw, that was a decision I made when I started and there's no looking back.

It's just amazing to see how old behavior patterns will try to slap you around as much as possible when they are threatened. I think it's also good if I work more on dismissing them as irrelevant and no longer serving me--or transforming them to serve me (figure out what nutrients that were most likely in the cooked and then try to do it raw, this is why gourmet rocks!).

Yeah. >8)

As for cooked food not being toxic, how can you explain:
acrylamide? [en.wikipedia.org]
the destruction of vitamins? [www.nutritiondata.com]
Trans fats? [www.treelight.com]

How is cooking food not toxic?

Date: June 27, 2008 06:22PM

Re
<<It's just amazing to see how old behavior patterns will try to slap you around>>

YUP. Ever see the movie: A Beautiful Mind? a case in point...till the end.

for what it's worth I have found a passing remark by Doug Graham helpful:

..."As long as cooked is an option, in your mind, you will still consider them fondly.
Once you say good bye and truly let them go, desire to consume them will fade quickly"...

Of course I supplement the mental dynamics or commitment with fasting which clears out a lot of old toxins quickly, so that they can't physically restimulate. Much easier IMO than "transition" diets, which it seems to me are like driving looking in the rear view mirror.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: June 28, 2008 02:51AM

happyway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> madinah
>
> Did you ever do 100% raw? For how long? Did you
> fail to get benefits?
> If you did it for awhile did you suffer cravings
> you couldn't deal with?
> What is your story?
> Why do you keep telling people they're ok if they
> fail?
> Everybody already knows that. People just want to
> feel their best.
> And the evidence is in that 100%
> raw-organic-properly-combined-diet, does just
> that,
> for many people who had otherwise incurable health
> problems. And also that many of these people found
> 100% much easier than 99%.
> So What is your story?

My point has always been very clear: Raw is best does not imply cooked is bad.

I am not 100 percent raw and I do not want to be and do not need to be to enjoy the health I have. I am about 95 percent raw, I eat and drink green juice from indoor greens and wheatgrass I grow, juice fasting once a week, and dry fasting after 3pm every day. Organic is not important to me, the food has to be fresh, still growing when I eat it. I am very healthy and have been this way for more than 10 years. I will be ready any day any minute to do a comparative blood test with anybody who is 100 percent raw and claim that cooked food is bad.
I am not against anybody being 100 percent raw but what I do not understand is the claim that cooked food is toxic and bad. It is not especially when it is cooked the right way. My point is that raw or cooked is not the whole story about health, you have to eat the right way.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 28, 2008 03:11PM

Posted by: madinah
Date: June 27, 2008 07:51PM

Raw is best does not imply cooked is bad.

I think some cooked food is bad. For example carcinogens have been found in greasy fast food burgers and french fries. Other cooked foods are not as bad for a person because they are only dead food.

Date: June 30, 2008 09:17PM

madinah

Re: your post
"My point has always been very clear: Raw is best does not imply cooked is bad.

I am not 100 percent raw and I do not want to be and do not need to be to enjoy the health I have. I am about 95 percent raw, I eat and drink green juice from indoor greens and wheatgrass I grow, juice fasting once a week, and dry fasting after 3pm every day. Organic is not important to me, the food has to be fresh, still growing when I eat it. I am very healthy and have been this way for more than 10 years. I will be ready any day any minute to do a comparative blood test with anybody who is 100 percent raw and claim that cooked food is bad.
I am not against anybody being 100 percent raw but what I do not understand is the claim that cooked food is toxic and bad. It is not especially when it is cooked the right way. My point is that raw or cooked is not the whole story about health, you have to eat the right way."

....I will not argue the point of cooked vs raw here for the 1000th time. Folks will pretty much do what they want anyway. And others on the web explain the arguments for this case better than I do. For example:
[rogerhaeske.com]
[www.health101.org]

....But I would suggest that simple 100% raw is much much easier, in many ways including time, and energy expenditure than the combination of practices you routinely use, ie. growing grass, juicing, and cooking.

....And in terms of discipline, dry fasting half or a third of every day is simply not doable or practical for 99% of people. In fact I wonder if anyone else in the world does it...and ...I wonder why it would be necessary, let alone on a raw diet. In fact it sounds more like a religious austerity than a health practice.

....While I admire your spirit, independence, and courage, it seems your method is truly unique to yourself and therefore of little practical use for the rest of humanity. Thus any blood test would you did would be scientifically & statistically irrelevant, as numerous subjects are used in experiments. However it might never-the-less be interesting.

Posted by: Quest for Peace ()
Date: July 26, 2008 04:44PM

--------------------------------------------------
> Posted by: madinah
> Date: June 27, 2008 07:51PM
>
> Raw is best does not imply cooked is bad.
>
>

I agree Madinah. I have been a 100% raw foodist for 2 years, with a great variety of foods, doing food combining, and am not feeling much different than when I was on a high raw organic vegan diet. I did lose about 10 pounds that I didn't need to and have yet to gain back. I am very much affected by the thoughts that cooked food is toxic, or if you combine wrong it is toxic, etc. I just read on another board about how Dr. Gabriel Cousens, Dr. Sheridan, and Renee Loux discuss that there are advantages to steaming some vegetables, sprouted grains and sprouted beans as it removes some enzyme inhibitors that are not otherwise removed and makes them more digestible, requiring less enzymes from the body.

Just something to contemplate....

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 26, 2008 06:30PM

Quest for Peace Wrote:
---------
> I just read on another board about how Dr. Gabriel
> Cousens, Dr. Sheridan, and Renee Loux discuss that
> there are advantages to steaming some vegetables,
> sprouted grains and sprouted beans as it removes
> some enzyme inhibitors that are not otherwise
> removed and makes them more digestible, requiring
> less enzymes from the body.
>
> Just something to contemplate....

i also have heard this. many schools of thought on nutrition. i download kevin giannis bi weekly interviews with different health advocates and the last one i listened to was the sprout man who for years was 100% raw. now he steams some vegees and things like quinoa and is about 80-90% raw
patty

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 26, 2008 08:08PM

Hi there... so my response to this is a bit different... and in no way believe that i am advocating a cooked diet... it is just a suggesed way of seeing things a bit differently... sometimes you are in those situations when you don't have the choice ... ie you're starving... you are offerend food... and we have gotten it so locked inside our minds that now this food will make me sick... even if you don't conciously say this out loud... we have created such stress around our food intake that it quite honestly makes us sick... when instead in this situation you can simply do this...

talk to your body... say hi body i love you and this is what i have to offer you right now... and i know it's not what you are used to... but i'm asking you to take in what you need and release what you don't need... this food is a blessing ... your body will respond... i did this with a chocolate craving... when i was first learning about healing... and allergies and i was terribly allergic... but when in need to fullfill my craving i simiply told my body... i need this emotionally right now please forgive me and take what you need and not what you don't... and i enjoyed that chocolate like none other day...

though you cannot abuse this... only in a time of real emotional spiritual or even physical need... if you abuse it... your body will know... it always does...

so let all food be a blessing ... and all things will be alright...

love laugh and dream
g

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: July 26, 2008 08:38PM

Happyway wrote (amongst other wonderfull info)

Remove the payoff of failure.
Excellent. Like it!

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 27, 2008 03:52AM

I've been raw for a year and 100% for several months. Basically my body equates any cooked food as poison now and rejects it flat out. Madinah, I don't think it has anything to do with resilience as even as a cooked vegan, vegetarian, SAD junk food/fast food exploiter in the golden oldies I seldom got sick and I have always had a super immune system. In fact, I never got sick pre raw!! It was only after I became raw and then tried to eat my old standbys that I got not merely sick, but violently ill for several days. This tells me that I'm much more healthy than I ever have been in my life. My body readily communicates with me or perhaps it's that I'm finally able to listen. But I respect your viewpoint anyway. It boils down to personal choice in the matter...pun intended...if you want to eat cooked eat it. I just choose not to eat cooked - I'm feeling too good and my body is very happy being Raw - works for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2008 03:57AM by rawangel.

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:01AM

I like what Dr. Doug says:

When you begin to think of cooked/processed "food" as a punishment instead of a treat, you're on your way!

: )

Love,
Julie

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:48AM

Madinah sounds strangely similar to another person who used to post here under the name of Djatchi. I wonder if they are the same person. As I remember it,Djatchi used to advocate the eating of raw meat, low fruits, high greens and some cooked.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables