Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Watermelon - How Can I tell When it's ripe?
Posted by: garyr ()
Date: June 17, 2008 03:42PM

I was at the store yesterday and they had watermelon on sale. I love watermelon, so I got myself one. However, when I got it home, it was too ripe and tasted awful.

I was wondering how to tell when one is good? I've heard you're supposed to knock on them and if they sound hollow, they're good, but that doesn't seem to be working as the last two I've purchased weren't that great.

Any advice? I love watermelon - just wish I could be sure I'm getting a tasty one every time.

Thanks so much,

Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watermelon - How Can I tell When it's ripe?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 17, 2008 04:02PM

The MAIN danger seems to be a melon that is too 'mushy' or 'over-ripe' on the inside. So:

1) FEEL the texture with your whole hand and look for melons that are 'hard-skinned' and not yielding.

2) TEST: Hold the melon in your hands and knock on it with your knuckles like you were knocking on a door. If there is a high, tinking sound...then the melon is good. If there is a low, thumping sound, then the melon is most likely over-ripe or mushy.

3) LOOK for a significant yellow patch on the melon to indicate it has spent a good deal of time in the sun.

-Avoid any melon with dark spots or dents, of course. Melons are especially promising that go from straight 'round' to more like 'star-round' shaped....if you follow my meaning.

-Just my experiences (and I HATE getting a bad melon. Make sure you buy from a place that lets you bring back bad melons for a replacement).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 17, 2008 06:59PM

I look for that sound of a vibrating thunk like David says, a nice yellow color where it layed, and lots of those little thready brown spots that I'm told bugs especially bees make that are trying to get into that particular melon 'cause bugs know which ones are just right.

Also, take back the watermelon to the store or the receipt and many times they will give you another melon. Ask the produce manager to pick one out for you maybe..sometimes you get a very savvy person that knows how to do that.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: garyr ()
Date: June 17, 2008 11:47PM

Thanks so much for the tips. I'll give 'em a try the next time I buy one.

Gary

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 18, 2008 07:36AM

there are some SUPER SAAAAVY people here

gawwwd i LOVE this forum!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 18, 2008 12:44PM

My Father taught me how to 'thump' a watermelon with my middle finger. He grew up on a farm in Georgia and they grew lots of watermelons. There's a special sound if it's ripe.....more of a 'thud' rather than a 'ring'. You can also go by the stem, or 'pigtail' as it's sometimes called. If it's brown, the melon is ripe. If it's green, it's not.....WY

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 19, 2008 03:25PM

The only thing worse than an overipe melon is a bad coconut. Thanks for the tips!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables