Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Electrolytes
Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: June 19, 2008 01:15AM

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what the body's signals for electrolyte imbalance or deficiency were? I have some idea that cramping could be not enough calcium, or too much, or badly absorbed...but thats pretty confusing. I basically have muscle cramps in my legs and feet and an occasional funny heart-beat, as well as kind of low blood pressure. I think it could be a Magnesium issue...but that might be the supplement industry advertising getting to me! Also, is the idea to get plenty of all of the electrolytes and let the body handle it, or if one has an issue (like cramping) should one cut down on one, or increase another? This sseems to happen to me more when I am eating more raw food too...which is strange. Thanks very much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electrolytes
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: June 21, 2008 02:01AM

I thought cramping had to do with low potasium but there could be other reasons for cramping. you could get calcium from seasame seeds and potasium from apple cider vineger. magnesium from wheatgrass juice and nettles. these are just some sources. The book "china study" is very informative concerning how much protien and calcium one truely needs. it is very deeply taught we need to load up on these items from milk and red meat and it is very hard for some to really believe differently from the mainstream thoughts. Keep reading and learning and you will begin to understand what your body needs. Keep a open mind.
Best of luck

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 21, 2008 04:02AM

A few days ago I had a "charlie horse" which is rare.. I think in my case it was also low magnesium judging by what I eat/don't eat. I know it wasn't a potasium problem as I get plenty of that.

This site might help..
[www.whfoods.com]

Date: June 22, 2008 12:28AM

Interesting...according to the www.whfoods.com site if you have the heart thing and cramps it could be Magnesium, but they indicate elevated blood pressure and I have it low. It still could be that though, thanks for the tips!

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 22, 2008 02:45AM

You wouldn't have to have all the symptoms. My blood pressure is also normal and I don't have headaches lol

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: June 22, 2008 11:34AM

The key is to get a balance of electrolytes.

If you enter your daily menu here [www.fitday.com] you can see how much you are getting of each.

The main ones are sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphate and chloride.

The first three are quite important for muscle and nerve function.

Cheers,
J

Raw Gatorade
Posted by: Iboga ()
Date: June 25, 2008 11:32PM

Pure water charged in sun with a little mint, rosemary, or sage;
a little lemon/orange juice, dab of sea-salt. sweeten if desired.

Date: June 26, 2008 03:26AM

Raw gatorade...great idea!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2008 04:47PM

Have you tried re-mineralizing your drinking water with a pinch of celtic sea salt? Or Jubb's Longevity in NY has a great recipe for electrolyte lemonade. Let me see if I can remember it:

It's something like

2-3 whole organic lemons (skinned)
a tablespoon of celtic sea salt
6 tablespoons organic raw unfiltered honey
1-3 tablespoons of flax oil (I use the lemonade flavor one)
and 6 cups of raw brazil nut milk

Blend all in a vitamix. YUMMY!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables