Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mono meals...another benefit?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 21, 2008 10:13PM

Hi.
The idea of mono meals has intrigued me for a while.
I am still struggling with SAD food cravings and the depressions/craving cycles,and for the last 4 days have been eating only ONE food at each meal.No complicated combining.
I find it seems to be giving me an edge that I didnt have before with sticking to this.All psychological? Maybe.
Anything is worth trying.
Anyone here discover any more success with mono meals over more traditional multi food meals??
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mono meals...another benefit?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 21, 2008 11:27PM

I've eaten this way for many years. I experience excellent digestion.....and great energy. I prefer the simplicity of this style of eating. Keep in mind that this is something that was adopted slowly on my part.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 22, 2008 01:24AM

I can usually coast through the mornings feeling awesome with mono-fruit munching, but "DINNER!" still strikes pretty hard, and I want more/need some fat. I have never experienced feelings that weren't calm or peaceful while mono-eating. =)

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 22, 2008 02:15AM

My experience is similar to Phantom's. I love mono eating until dinner. It really helped in the beginning of transitioning because it calmed me and felt better than anything had before. I also think it makes salads seem to be on the exciting side. It made eating so simple. which was such a great change.

Date: June 22, 2008 02:24AM

I also remember when I first learned about raw, and I spent my sickly post-surgery days scouring rawfoodexplained.com, cursing through a mouth full of bloody gauze about how boring and untenable an entire meal of JUST APPLES sounded. JUST apples, WTF? I was down with fresh fruit, but *JUST* apples?

Little did I know, the amazing world I was about to discover!!

I did read here that if you mono something for long enough, you learn its secret. I'd certainly love to learn some secrets. ^.~

Mono-eating also gives me an amazing edge on taste variance between fruits. I can eat a pound of strawberries, but no two strawberries will EVER taste alike. If you remember old computers... the tastes experienced while mono-eating on raw vs. the tastes I experienced before raw, are like the differences between the latest graphics card vs. the old 16 color scheme of eons past. Also, the less we are doing at once, the more sensory input our brains can appreciate... which is why stillness and meditation can bring insight. =) So it's a lovely meditation of fruit!

Date: June 22, 2008 02:30AM

Wow.
Very interesting insights.
I will be exploring this mono eating alot more.
The idea of "tuning in" to a food.
Only one food and getting the most from it.
Maybe for me,combining 10 different foods in a meal sort of "short circuits" me.
I dont know where I am going with these statements.
A day at a time......
Brian

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 22, 2008 04:40AM

Hi Brian

I've just written an article on 'mono meals' which you may find of interest.

It's at www.debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com

Love, Debbie

Date: June 22, 2008 02:28PM

Debbie,
Thank you for leading me to that article!
Brian

Date: June 23, 2008 01:07PM

Oh... nice article Debbie, thanks.

After I had been high raw a few months I got on a fig kick I was eating dried (would have preferred fresh) figs like crazy. I was mono eating them for breakfast and lunch almost every day for weeks. I know some days I ate 40 figs. They were like heaven from the minute they went in my mouth. One day the "love affair" was over. I still love figs but am not "in love" with them now. I was so deficient in calcium, I know that must have been most of the reason behind it.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 23, 2008 01:23PM

Yeah, thanks, Debbie. Isn't it great how our bodies instinctively know what we need? All we need to do is treat them right and listen to them!

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 23, 2008 06:36PM

Its amazing how we are just drawn to each thing as we need

mono eating is superb.. magically last summer I just couldnt get how to do raw..I found it such a struggle..now its so simple!

Date: June 23, 2008 06:58PM

It is amazing how simple it can be.
Eating loads of watermelon lately.Smoothies,as chunks,big slices where you get your face all sloppy! I remember that from childhood.
Just crave it,and thank goodness it is very cleansing/detoxing.
Brian

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: June 23, 2008 07:02PM

I am so drawn to mono eating pineapple and bananas (seperately of course) and don't really have that much of an issue with the mouth sores even fm the pineapple. Today for breakfast I ate an entire big one! I am looking forward to enjoying the watermelon the same way.

Date: June 23, 2008 07:40PM

I am just craving oranges right now..thank the lordee I have 20kg smiling smiley

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: June 24, 2008 05:18PM

I've been doing mango-mono for breakfast. I just eat the most delicious thing in the world until I'm full. I wish I could eat like that all the time. I'm getting there slowly!

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: June 24, 2008 05:58PM

Mono eating one pineapple? is not that too much sugar one time?

Date: June 24, 2008 06:59PM

1 pinapple tends to keep me going for the day

however I couldnt mono on pineapple for weeks on end..would get too irritated..watermelon is just ideal smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2008 07:02PM

Not for me. I do best when I mono eat sweet, juicy fruit. My body tells me when to stop but I eat a LOT before that happens.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: June 25, 2008 01:39PM

I find that when I mono eat, I only eat until I am full. I feel high energy. I am happy. I sleep better and wake more refreshed.

I was mono eating orange juice and watermelon for a few days. Yesterday I had such a craving for a banana, I had one. It was so addicting, not like the orange juice and watermelon, which I wanted more of only when I was hungry again. The banana I wanted more and more of despite not being hungry.... then I got into my husbands raw food... I make him more complex things to keep him happy on raw... had a couple falafels and a tomato 'mayo' sandwich.... All things I was not hungry for.... but I felt compelled!

Today I fell groggy and hung over. I'm back on mono... let this be a lesson I wont soon forget. I think bananas are similar to dates and raisins and other dried fruit to me.... I eat them and eat them, without any signals to stop!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: June 26, 2008 02:14AM

So lots of people are one who mono meals work best for.
Interesting.
I am still eating mostly mono meals.
Will post the results soon.
smiling smiley
Brian

Date: June 26, 2008 08:51PM

clear mind.
not missing the past.
interested in the now.
hobbies.
fitness.
early to bed,early to rise.
clean house.
feel the summer.
working.

some pretty good stuff.

Date: June 26, 2008 09:55PM

You know, nearly all of those list items made it into my days (today and yesterday) on the mono-watermelon--and I had never even stopped to think of most of them!

Thanks for extending my appreciation. =)

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: June 26, 2008 11:37PM

I like mono meals for all the reasons everyone stated above, plus, I love that I don't have to think at all about what I'm eating next.

I wrote a fun little piece about mono mealing awhile back, here it is if you're interested smiling smiley

[www.goingbananasblog.com]

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 28, 2008 05:38AM

Hi Madinah

Mono eating is simply eating one food until you don't feel like any more, eg it starts to taste different, or you simply have no desire to eat any more.

If you have been eating 100% raw, say, for several months, your body should be so attuned to its needs that, if the pineapple really was too much sugar, you'd feel like stopping eating perhaps after a quarter, or half of it.

Pineapples are indeed very sweet. On the occasions I've mono-ate pineapple I've never felt a desire to eat more than a small amount.

So, mono-eating has a built-in safety factor, ie mono-eating should ensure that we never do eat too much of any one thing.

Love, Debbie

Date: July 01, 2008 03:32PM

I am finding that to be true.
The sweetness of fruits is self limiting.
I can only eat so much at one sitting since I really dont have a sweet tooth.
But things like romaine lettuce I could eat half a head at one meal.
What I am SO amazed at is how good I can function eating like this.
My old school of thought on nutrition is totally shattered.
Brian

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 01, 2008 03:36PM

Raw1228 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I am SO amazed at is how good I can function
> eating like this.
> My old school of thought on nutrition is totally
> shattered.
> Brian

i hear ya. isn`t it strange and awesome??
patty

Date: July 01, 2008 07:47PM

Yes Patty it is.
At one time I would have thought you could NOT survive without gallons of milk,cans of tuna,meat in all its forms,pasta just because it is low in fat,and all the commercial protein powders and pills on the market.
In short....protein!
But I am finding that I am not losing any muscle mass at all eating just fruit for alot of meals.
How has your thoughts on nutrition changed?
Brian

Date: July 04, 2008 04:54PM

Raw1228 Wrote:

> How has your thoughts on nutrition changed?
> Brian

everything has turned upside down in my thinking. i was like most peeps thinking we need meat and thinking vegees must be cooked in order to be useful. i was also brainwashed thinking dairy was a must for strong bones.i had no clue of irradiation and gmo foods.
patty

Date: July 05, 2008 05:33PM

Patty,
yes,I am aware of all the brainwashing by the meat and dairy industries,to make a profit.
All we can do is live the truth from now on...right?
Brian

Date: July 06, 2008 12:35AM

Raw1228 Wrote:
> Patty,
> yes,I am aware of all the brainwashing by the meat
> and dairy industries,to make a profit.
> All we can do is live the truth from now
> on...right?
> Brian

AMEN BRIAN smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables