Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you think the importance of calcium is exaggerated?
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: June 23, 2008 03:37PM

I eat plant foods with calcium, but I don't think I am eating the "daily recommended amount" (at least as the SAD diet rencommended amount). What is your idea of a healthy level for skelatal health? How do you ensure you get enough? I

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you think the importance of calcium is exaggerated?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 23, 2008 04:46PM

For a person eating a standard western diet, eating plenty of calcium is important because that diet is a calcium / skeleton depleting diet. If you remove the elements of the diet which deplete the skeleton and your bones, getting so much calcium is less important.

Foods which deplete the bones are animal products and grains. In a typical raw vegan diet, you won't find these foods present.

Also, the calcium in raw foods can be assimilated much more than calcium in cooked foods, including pasteurized milk products. So again, the need for so much calcium drops as the calcium you get from raw plant products has a much higher percentage of absorption.

So to tell you the truth, I don't worry about calcium in my raw diet. But if I were eating some cooked foods, say like cooked rice or grains, I would include massive amounts of raw leafy greens.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 23, 2008 05:04PM

Exactly as Bryan said. I was tested very recently - and my numbers were fine......after 8+ years of all-raw. I think if you are eating a healthy 100% (if this is YOUR goal) then you should be fine. This has been my own experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 23, 2008 05:48PM

Yeah, what they said. The US food board sets the RDA very high because most people in the USA eat acid forming diets high in animal products and grains.

But if your diet is devoid of these things it will be alkaline and your bones will not leech out calcium to counteract the acid effect.

It's calcium net that matters (in-out), not a particular intake (just in). For a high f+v diet the requirement is likely to be much lower than 1000 mg per day.

But you might notice that the plant foods highest in calcium also tend to be high in other good things, so you might meet the RDA anyway without trying if you include lots of greens.

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: June 23, 2008 05:49PM

An easy way to monitor your calcium intake is to use pHydrion Paper daily. Pee on a small strip and compare the color to the chart. If the pH paper indicates an acidic condition then you're not getting enough calcium. Staying on the neutral to alkaline side is what we strive for. Sure you can check your saliva, but that's what's going in. Checking what's going out tells you if you have a calcium loss if acidic.

Date: June 23, 2008 06:22PM

Great answers. Thanks everyone.

Date: June 23, 2008 07:59PM

Tahini us a great source of calcium.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 23, 2008 09:03PM

I always wondered..how do people eat tahini..its soo bitter..makes me pull a face!!

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: June 23, 2008 09:10PM

Almonds are very high in calcium.
Sprout 'em smiling smiley

Date: June 23, 2008 09:56PM

rawdanceruk you have got to try making a banana tahini smoothie! Very creamy and you can't taste the bitterness at all.

1 banana, 1/2 cup water and 1 tablespoon tahini in a blender.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 24, 2008 01:56AM

I adore tahini... cacao, too. I love the bitterness! (But not bitter greens, go figure... bitter fats?)

Tahini becomes more exciting, though, if you blend it with other flavors to offset the bitterness. I made a salad dressing that was lime, tahini, fresh grated ginger, and agave... WOW. XD

That didn't stop me from having some spoonfuls out of the tahini jar, though... >8)

Oranges have calcium, too!

Date: June 24, 2008 03:15AM

I love tahini too. Banana tahini smoothies are good. I didn't know oranges had calcium. Interesting.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 24, 2008 04:40PM

I can't stand tahini alone but love it as in the recipes above. Also a tahini cheese is so good: tahini, lots of lime (can sub. lemon), garlic and salt. Just add water too make tahini dressing. I love it on celery.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables