Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Search for the Raw nut
Posted by: pacman7293 ()
Date: June 23, 2008 10:14PM

Hello everyone,

I've recently just gone 100% raw, this is week two (and my first post here on the board). I feel much cleaner, and have more energy. I just have one problem:

Finding a source of Raw nuts to sprout.

I'm going to need the food supplement of raw nuts in my diet - in order to meet my caloric and protein demands. The only problem is I cannot find a source of truly RAW nuts!

I'm finding out on the internet and hearing rumors in grocery stores that all "raw" nuts have actually been pasteurized at degrees of about 160 F. This is a big let down. The more and deeper I look the more this is confirmed.

It's not just almonds apparently...

So far the only way around this is to buy the very expensive sprouted seed products which are usually pumpkin seeds, from a brand name "GoRaw".
But those are SEEDS not nuts. BIG difference.

Does anyone know where to get RAW unpasturized NUTS?

Brazil nuts
Cashews
Pistachios
Pecans
Walnuts
etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Search for the Raw nut
Date: June 23, 2008 10:38PM

OK i just read this article: [www.living-foods.com]

And basically found out that raw nuts are impossible to get unless in shells.

But if they are in shells one has to de-shell them to eat them.
Are they not then Unsproutable anyway?

Theoretically one would have to sprout the in-shell nut and then unshell them before eating - correct?

Date: June 23, 2008 10:57PM

So the "raw" shelled nuts in grocery stores are actually cooked...

[www.living-foods.com]

So if they are are then there is no need to soak them to remove enzyme inhibitors right? Because they are no different from baked nuts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2008 11:05PM by pacman7293.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 23, 2008 11:54PM

This guy says he imports his almonds from Spain:

[www.livingnutz.com]

And I've ordered Macs from www.mac-nuts.com in the past.

Additionally, watch for raw nuts on e-bay. Things like black walnuts (if you're into that sort of thing) can be had.

-Just some leads.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 24, 2008 01:05AM

Here is the Physician's Commity for Responsible Medicine's way of determining your protein needs - instead of 0.8g per pound of body weight they use 0.36g and they say that this also includes a built-in safety margin.

[www.pcrm.org]
Protein Requirements

With the traditional Western diet, the average American consumes about double the protein her or his body needs. Additionally, the main sources of protein consumed tend to be animal products, which are also high in fat and saturated fat. Most individuals are surprised to learn that protein needs are actually much less than what they have been consuming. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein for the average, sedentary adult is only 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight.2

To find out your average individual need, simply perform the following calculation:

Body weight (in pounds) X 0.36 = recommended protein intake

However, even this value has a large margin of safety, and the body’s true need is even lower for most people. Protein needs are increased for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. In addition, needs are also higher for very active persons. As these groups require additional calories, increased protein needs can easily be met through larger intake of food consumed daily. Extra serving of legumes, tofu, meat substitutes, or other high protein sources can help meet needs that go beyond the current RDA.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 24, 2008 01:41AM

I've heard good things about www.nutsonline.com

Date: June 24, 2008 02:06AM

that formula seems to confirm what i've been hearing all along about 50 + grams. More for people who are active...

I think i'm going to depend on shelled hemp seeds and unpasturized fruit juice for now. Seems to take care of the problem for the most part. Expensive but easy and effective. 1 shake for example:

Odwalla superfood

1 cup = 130 Cal
1 g protien

Manitoba Harvest Hemp Seed Nut

2 Tbsp = 160 cal
11g protien

Servings per continer = 8
8 hemp seed servings = 10$
8 superfood servings = 9$

20$ = 8 shakes

3 shakes a day

7$ a day

Yeilds

290 Cals
and 36g protien

15% calories
50% Protien

(Using another kind of unpasturized fruit juice may lower cost)

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 24, 2008 04:13AM

As the forum's international, I'll just say that in the UK, we can get raw almonds (most of ours are from Europe), walnuts and hazelnuts. And my local supermarket sells brazils in shells all year round.

Raw cashews we can only buy online.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: June 24, 2008 06:08AM

You can get truly raw, UNpasteurized, almonds from this company. Lots of other great stuff too. And their nut butters are to die for, especially the raw almond. Never knew olive oil could taste so good either...unheated, unfiltered AND unpressed. I've also become seriously addicted to their sundried oil cured black olives. Simply incredible. Just LOVE these guys (can you tell?).

[www.livingtreecommunity.com]

~lanie

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 24, 2008 07:52AM

You could also try these guys. I got a confirmation email from them saying they sold true raw organic almonds.

www.Rawfromthefarm.com

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: June 24, 2008 03:03PM

I wonder if my intolerance to nuts and seeds has to do with they're not really raw, even when they're labeled as such. They seem to just stick in my gut if I eat them. Now I only purchase raw, organic sunflower seeds from my food co-op and I don't experience any digestive issues. They must truly be raw.

Thanks for all of these wonderful links - I may try the nuts again! I miss almonds...:-((

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2008 03:04PM by rawangel.

Date: June 24, 2008 04:33PM

I believe so raw angel

I ate like a cup or so of "raw" nuts and then some "baked salted nuts"

One or both of these gave me some kind of food poisoning. My body rejected and rebelled against them.

I think nuts are out of the picture for me.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: June 25, 2008 01:23PM

Hi,
www.realrawfood.com is a Canadian company that sells tons of raw nuts. That's where I buy my nuts!

They have the following raw:
Cashews - from Brazil
Walnuts - from California
Pistachios - from California
Macadamias - from South Africa
Pecans - from Texas

And their Almonds are unpasteurized. - from California

Sounds like a lot of raw nuts should be available from California (o:

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables