Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My super basic survival diet
Posted by: pacman7293 ()
Date: June 26, 2008 10:01PM

3 Meals:

Avacado - 200 cal
Bar - 300 cal 8 g protein
Shake - 240 cal 22 g protein
--------------------
700 cal, 30 protein

Shake 240 cal 22 g protein
2 Banana - 200
-----------------------
740 cal, 30 protien

Shake 240 cal 22 g protein
4 apricot - 240
--------------------
780 cal, 30 protien

---------
Total:

~ 2200 cal ~ 90 protien
--------

The Bar is a "Raw Revolution" Bar
[rawindulgence.com]

The shake is Water and 4 tablespoons of Raw hemp seed & Cacao Powder.
[www.manitobaharvest.com]

So there is it a super simple and compact SAD raw diet and very high in protein... I just made it up yesterday (and trying it out today) - I know kinda monotonous, but... well

What do you all think of this - My first comment is - wow way too much protein.
I think i'm gonna cut the shake out of my final meal.
Also I feel like i'm "fasting" almost. I mean I don't feel hungry or mal-nourished, but I feel just kinda... empty. Perhaps this is what happens when you body starts to "clean itself out" as many say.
Finnaly eating like this is a chore (as it has been for the past week or so on the Raw diet) Eating has very little enjoyment...

I'm doing this diet because of the recommendations from the site:
[biologyofkundalini.com]

(I do energetic exercises and what not)

Frankly I do feel much cleaner and hardly any chronic emotion (except for the anxiety of this new diet)

But I guess I made this diet up as a method to prove to myself that one can easily get enough protein and calories on the "raw food diet" - without much hassle or complication (I mean hemp seeds... wow.). Because the first thing my critical mind (and others say) when you mention raw food is WHOAH no calories or protein!

So what do you all think of this?
All my calculations correct?
Opinions?

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2008 10:15PM by pacman7293.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My super basic survival diet
Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: June 26, 2008 11:34PM

Whose protein recommendations are you going by? Just curious. Do you think you're getting enough carbs? grinning smiley I find that when I neglect my carb intake my health and energy goes way, way down.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: June 26, 2008 11:48PM

I guess thats what i feel i'm missing,

I suppose fruit is the source of carbs right?

Is there anything super easy to get all my carbs from?

I have a small appetite.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2008 11:54PM by pacman7293.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: June 27, 2008 12:17AM

Fruit is high carb smiling smiley

I actually recently wrote something about this, which is why your post caught my eye:

[www.goingbananasblog.com]

in case you're interested. Would love your thoughts on it if you read it! For me - I've been learning that high protein (raw) foods also tend to be high fat, and that we don't need as much protein as we think.

HTH a little smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: June 27, 2008 12:44AM

I dont belive that cacao is good for you. Im sorry, I dont mean to offened you, but I dont like this diet. I wont be suprised if this does not result in good health. Its like the fast food raw diet. 30-40g of protein will be enough in one day. Wheres the veggies?

Date: June 27, 2008 12:54AM

Well i'm an athlete, have super high metabolism - and explosive energy bursts - and I must say since going raw, and only paying attention to calories and protien (in order to not loose weight) I have totally neglected carbs. I guess being a normal american I'm used to being able to get plenty of carbs no matter what I do due to the processed foods.

But frankly, I have been feeling rather low energy. I thought it was because I was just adjusting to a new diet and not "self medicating" with food.

Although I don't have much negative residual energy from foods... I also have lacked energy in general... I thought it was just a phase.

Today most of all... I have felt rather low energy.
Even though I have consumed plenty of "calories" and "protien".

But now I think about it ... why count calories... I mean gasoline has calories... it is an altogather non biological or human oriented parameter of nutrition...

I'm not on a "diet" i'm on a "liveit" as one raw fooder puts it. I'm not trying to loose weight or anything but optimize myself.

I think calories are pretty abstract and non-biological order of measuring human "diet". Why not measure it with coulombs? My point is everything uses and has a calorie in it...

It seems to me what you are saying Sarah - makes some sense. Watch the carbohydrates - thats what the body uses afterall as energy - is it not? Calories are just nonsense... totally meaingless... a calorie is just 4.19 joules? What it takes to raise 1Ml of water 1 degree celcius? What am I a stove?

Just as the body doesn't use gasoline but it sure does hold many calories if we could use it!

Indeed this whole idea of a 2000 calorie diet has not trasmuted into anything - thus when I shred my diet down to basics and get all "I need". I feel mal-noruished... even though i'm getting quite my caloric intake.

I'm glad you brought up the idea of Carbs... it seems to eclipse in meaning calories to a level such that they are not even worth a comment. =)

Date: June 27, 2008 01:05AM

Workoutman i'm glad you spoke your mind on this meal plan.

I've been trying CaCao Powder because somewhere I read it was a with tons of antioxidants. Was a very good raw "superfood"

[www.thebestofrawfood.com]

I agree I probably need more carbs and veggies.

What I'm trying to do is make it raw compact and simple, and indeed "fast".
But not unhealthy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 01:05AM by pacman7293.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 27, 2008 01:36AM

Last year I copied a daily food intake list out of "Fruit The Ultimate Diet" by Rejean Durette, you might want to take look at it. It's full of carbs.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
he has 7 lists of sample daily intakes for different times of the year, this one is for July/August:

8:00 1-2 lbs watermelon
9:00 1/2 lb grapes
10:00 1 lb bananas
10:30 1 lb peaches
11:30 2 Hass avocados,1/2 lb tomatoes, sometimes with cucumber and red peppers
12:30 2 lbs watermelon
1:30 1/2 lb grapes
2:30 1 mango
3:30 1 lb bananas
4:30 3 lbs watermelon
5:30 1/4 lb grapes
6:30 1 lb peaches or 1/2 pint blueberries
7:30 1-2 lbs watermelon
8:30 1 lb bananas or 1 Hass avocado

This is a bit much, even for me, I don't know anyone else who eats this much fruit.

Have you hung out on Fruitarian1's board? He is a raw bodybuilder. I can't find it, did he take it down?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 01:45AM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 27, 2008 01:58AM

Here a raw runner and racer decribes his diet, from looking at his race schedule he runs a few races a month:
2008 Race Results
6/14/08 - 1st - New Course Record - Whipple City 5K - Greenwich, NY
6/7/08 - 8th, 1st Master, New Master's Course Record - New England Mtn. Running Championships - Northfield, MA
6/4/08 - 1st - New Course Record - Indian Chair Race - 1,300' Climb, 2.25 miles - Catskills, NY
6/1/08 - 3rd - Whiteface Mtn. Road Race - 8 miles, 3,500' Climb - Wilmington, NY
5/24/08 - 12th of 338 - Wachusett Mtn. Race - 4.3 miles, 1,095' Climb - Princeton, MA
5/4/08 - 1st of 116 - Bennington Road Race - Bennington, VT
4/27/08 - 1st of 1592 - CCRF 5k - Los Angeles, CA
4/26/08 - 2nd of 200 - Climb California - Aon Center - 62 Floors - Los Angeles, CA
4/20/08 - 2nd of 382 - Dodge the Deer Trail Race - Schodack, NY
4/12/08 - 7th of 183 - Xterra Merrimack River Trail Race - 10 miles - Andover, MA
3/29/08 - 1st of 227 - Climb U Albany - 22 Floors - Albany, NY
2/23/08 - 1st of 600 - Climb Tampa - 42 Floors - Tampa, FL
2/10/08 - 1st - Northern VT Snowshoe Championships - Jeffersonville, VT
2/7/08 - 2nd of 133 - Climb Albany - 42 Floors - Albany, NY
2/5/08 - 14th of 153 - Empire State Building Run UP - 86 Floors - New York City
1/27/08 - 3rd of 63 - Curly's Record Run 3.5 mile Snowshoe - Pittsfield, MA
1/19/08 - 5th of 60 - North Pond Snowshoe 3.3 mile - Florida, MA
1/12/08 - 1st of 135!! - Snowstorm Classic 5k - Springfield, MA
1/6/08 - 3rd of 115 - Brave The Blizzard Snowshoe 4 Mile - Guilderland, NY

[www.runningraw.com]

What do I eat on a daily basis?
I don't really have a strict plan or routine when it comes to my daily consumption. I eat what feels good. On most mornings i'll start with a piece of fresh fruit or two (apple, bananas, orange, grapefruit, kiwi, peach, strawberries, etc...), then I'll have a Larabar sometime mid morning. Before my workouts I usually consume a banana and some young coconut water. After my workouts I'll have another piece or two of fresh fruit - within 15 minutes of completing my workout!!! Then when i get home I'll make a smoothie with fruit and greens (kale, lettuce, collard), a few dates and some dulse (for electrolytes). Mid evening I'll chomp on another Larabar, and then I'll make a massive salad at around 7pm... it's got tons of different greens, broccoli, red peppers, radishes, avocado, celery, snap peas, mushrooms and whatever else i can find to throw in there... every day is different... but this is somewhat normal for me, and gives me all the energy I need and more.

Where do I get my protein?
This is probably the most common question i get, and the answer is that I'm not really that concerned with protein intake. Yes, I do consume some protein in the few hemp seeds and nuts that I eat. The dark leafy greens and broccoli that I consume daily also contain protein, but all in all, I really don't consume that much protein. The human body breaks protein down into amino acids, so I cut out the middle man and eat foods that are rich in amino acids - ALL uncooked fruits and vegetables.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 02:01AM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 27, 2008 02:20AM

[So what do you all think of this? ]

I don't think it's a healthy way to go.

Healthier would be to subtract bars and shakes, and add:

apples peaches pears plums grapes lettuce carrots spinach kale broccoli onions scallions pineapple walnut brazil nut flax sesame pumpkin seed sunflower seed papaya plum apricot mango corn sprouts tomatoes bell peppers cucumber watermelon canteloupe arugula chard beets strawberries blueberries blackberries raspberries bananas oranges grapefruit etc.

Fresh is best.

This sort of thing is what constitutes good eating. A lot of them, a wide variety. Not bars and shakes. Unless the shakes are based on fresh whole f+v.

Eat whole fresh foods. If they are foods that don't spoil quickly, limit or eliminate them.

Date: June 27, 2008 02:40AM

Yea thats the guy that kind of ... drove the raw diet home for me to try...

I've never been a fruit eater. I've always preferred breads and starches. He's a runner though, which runners don't really build that much mass, they just burn allot of energy, after a point their maxed out on muscle mass and nothing is built but only maintained.

Thats kind of where i'm at too (plus i have the same body type)

But I would like to GAIN weight and BUILD muscle. i'm about 6 feet and 135 lbs. could use some muscle... cuz i'm never going to build anything else...

Thanks LilianSwan for your kindness.

It's week 2 almost the begining of 3 and i'm just biting into this lifestyle. It's been really rough and stressful frankly - but.. I think it will work. I need to learn to make a few dishes.

I doubt i'll ever hit the SAD recommended carbs or anything in this diet, but one thing i've often wondered is... well thats worth a whole nother post. but...

It's something to do with cooking and not cooking, since all foods on the SAD are tested in the labrotory by cooking them. And since the food on the SAD is also to do with cooked foods but not raw ones... and finnaly since denaturation occurs when you cook foods...

Doesn't everything on the SAD become totally irrelevant when eating raw?

Posted by: mira ()
Date: June 27, 2008 04:48AM

Really, you should ask fruitarian one or search for info about the 80/10/10 diet (Dr. Graham takes care of alot of athletes)

Remember that dehydrated foods will never be as good as freash, unprocessed food.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but what you are eating is the raw "junk food".

Posted by: mira ()
Date: June 27, 2008 04:48AM

oh, and we don't want to "survive" here, we want to live....!

no?

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: June 27, 2008 08:02AM

read the 80/10/10 diet by Dr Graham and you will be inspired. He is a top athlete.
i agree with the others: eating fruit and vegetables as nature provides them is the way to go.

Date: June 27, 2008 08:30PM

I say, just follow your guts and eat what resonates with you, when it resonates with you, do the leg work yourself, learn what works for you......nobody here knows what your body needs at any given moment any better than you do, not me, not Doug Graham, not anyone on this board!!!!

Like I said before...as far as the "athlete" stuff goes I think you have a lot of miss-informtion to release first before your ready to tackle that side of things.

Juss ma 2 cents

F1

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 28, 2008 08:51PM

I agree with F1-- learn all you can, but ultimately, follow your own instincts. Especially if you are new to the raw diet, it might be foolhardy to just jump in and start doing 100% fresh raw fruits and vegies, unless your body is already extraordinarily non-toxic, because it can result in binging on cooked food and experiencing gnawing hunger. (Later, yes!, but at the beginning most people can't.) I think it's easier for people to start the way you have started, with raw food + whatever you feel you most need to eat. "Aim for YOUR best, and let go of the rest." (Your best will not be like anyone else's best.)

The important thing is for us to be honest with ourselves as we progress, and begin eliminating the less healthy foods appropriately-- gradually-- over time. You'll know when you have gotten to that point where you are cleaned out enough to have the discipline and determination where you're ready to eat 100% live food. It could be really soon, or it might take awhile. No matter-- you'll get there.

It took me a number of years to get it right. It was hard, because I was really toxic. Each of us has a totally set of bodily circumstances. So don't worry too much about where you are in comparison to others. Ideally, you might aim for your raw food path to be 1 part challenge and 2 parts fun and joy.

Anyway, that's my take it. ;-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 28, 2008 10:02PM

agreed.

Follow your body

dosent have to be as rigid as anything like the above.

IMO Fresh raw produce is best not junk food..but thats just my opinion!!

Research and find what works best for YOUR BODY!

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: June 28, 2008 10:56PM

I agree with arugula. Much rather eat the fresh fruits and veggies that your food bars and shakes are merely extractions of. Also seems like a heck of a lot of protein for one person in a day, athlete or otherwise. Just my opinion of course.

~lanie

Posted by: laurieforti ()
Date: July 04, 2008 01:01PM

> for info about the 80/10/10 diet

[ecologos.org]

. Laurie

--
Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
[ecologos.org]
news:alt.food.vegan.science

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables