Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

HELP! stopped eating coconut-constipated since!
Posted by: mira ()
Date: June 27, 2008 06:24PM

I stopped eating coconut everyday like 2 weeks ago, and at first (maybe 2-3 days) i had a few slips for cooked food...So then i got constipated like hell, but i tought it was because of the cooked food.But now i'm still constipated after all that time !!

So i think it might be because i was eating all that coconut, wich is filled with potassium and magnesium, so thats why i was going for number 2's like 5-6 times a day...But i liked it, i hate the feeling of being full of @#$%&!!

So is there any other food that is very rich in potassium and magnesium??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP! stopped eating coconut-constipated since!
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 27, 2008 06:49PM

What kind of coconut were you eating and how much? I hate feeling full of @#$%& too.

I think bananas are full of potassium.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: June 27, 2008 07:10PM

coconut is a laxative. Bananas are used to stop diarrhea. Don't think it has anything to do with the amount of potassium or magnesium.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 27, 2008 07:31PM

Eating the cooked food may be part of the problem. I have always been amazed at the change in the fiber when the food is cooked. You can make your own test and draw your own conclusions about what happens to the fiber when cooked. Take two carrots from the same bag that looks as close to identical as possible. Now take one of the carrots and throughly cook it. Put the cooked carrot and the raw carrot on the same plate and pick up a fork. Mash the cooked carrot with the fork and then try to mash the raw carrot with the fork. The effect of cooking the carrot has a dramatic effect on the fiber and that fiber is necessary to good elimination. Check it out for yourself.

Date: June 27, 2008 08:38PM

hmm...Well im sure the cooked ood did not help...But it wasn't meals, it was 3 or 4 snacks...

And the fact that coconut is a laxative makes pretty much sense... I was like taking laxatives everyday and now i stopped, probably why i'm jamming...

Lilianswan- I was eating EVERYTHING that came from coconut, ( oil, meat from old ones, meat and juice from young ones, flakes....)

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: June 27, 2008 08:57PM

Why would you stop eating it if it helped you to digest things properly? I think you should go back to eating the coconut. It seems to have worked well with you.

Date: June 27, 2008 09:17PM

i was eating too much, and as a matter of fact, not eating enough fruit be cause one of my daily meals was composed of coconut!!

And its way too much fat, almost all my calories were from fat, wich is not very healthy...?

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: June 29, 2008 07:22PM

I have the same thought as rawfrancois. Why eliminate what's working for you? If you're concerned about eating "too much fat" than maybe have 1-2 tbs of raw coconut oil and see how that works? I have gone through various stages in my year and half raw. When I first started I was eating up to 5 avocados a day, not including nuts, seeds etc. There is no way I could or would want to eat that many avocados now, but my body seemed to need a good influx of healthy fats at the time -- it was balancing something. Perhaps you're just transitioning and would benefit from listening to your body. Maybe it just wants a lot of coconuts right now. :-)

Date: June 30, 2008 12:49AM

Well i know that it help alot at first, But its been more than 3 months now. So i have to keep going without my "training wheels" !! lol

I calculated my food intake on nutridiary, and i jumped when i saw that more than 75% of my daily calorie intake was from fat!!!

I could take 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil, but then i wouldn't have the fiber and the other vitamins...?

Date: June 30, 2008 08:55PM

ahhhh....I' still feeling...so...full of...sh#%$#@?$!#&$!#

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 30, 2008 10:30PM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ahhhh....I' still feeling...so...full
> of...sh#%$#@?$!#&$!#

have a colonic smiling smiley that`ll get the $#%^#@ out!

Date: July 01, 2008 04:46AM

hmm...I had 2 this winter, while i was constipated as hell... It works on the present moment, but it dosn't treat the problem

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 01, 2008 05:22AM

mira Wrote:
-It works on the present moment, but it
> dosn't treat the problem
yea

Posted by: goodsamaritan ()
Date: July 08, 2008 04:13PM

Please eat more fats.
Aside from magnesium which you are looking for which you can get from greens, fats make bowel movement smooth and easy. Increase your fat consumption.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 08, 2008 06:24PM

Eating more fruit can help. Every time I initiated a move to higher fruit, everything started moving too fast for a few days.

Date: July 08, 2008 06:27PM

i am eating high fruit ...The constipation is not so bad, but i really don't go as much as before

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2008 11:07PM

hi,
I offen suffer from constipation. I have been to the doctor and he said I have a slow digestive tract. And if I dont take Senna pills I develope a urinary tract infection and also a kidney infection. The doctor says that the stools in the intestines sit to long and e coli spread thru the walls and attack the other organs. So don't let it go too long before u do something about it, I Find if I take a pill or 2 at night I'm regular. And Senna pill are a herb, so it is natural. VitaCost.com sells them for $3.50 a bottle. Hope that helps you. Susan

Date: July 08, 2008 11:10PM

Mira,

Aloe is a natural laxative so if you are still having trouble maybe you can try that.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: July 09, 2008 01:24AM

i've tried senna in the past, but the intestines get "addicted" to it... So i don't want to take that anymore...

I did not know that aloe was a laxative...If i have aloe plants in the house, can i eat their flesh?!

Date: July 09, 2008 01:25AM

mira yep... start in small amounts.

Date: July 09, 2008 03:24AM

i just open the leave and eat it?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 09, 2008 11:33AM

In Mexico they add aloe vera to smoothies.. you can scoop out the gel or use the skin as well, imo.

I buy kilo sized aloe vera leafs at the grocer.. they've never had a laxative effect on me.. who eats it as just another veggie for health [wholeleaf.com]

Date: July 09, 2008 02:00PM

What has the laxative effect is the bitter yellow/red sticky goo... not the clear, gel inside that most people use. It's called aloe latex.

Date: July 09, 2008 04:58PM

well, i've opened a leaf and its not yellow/red, its all clear!

Date: July 09, 2008 05:03PM

ewww the taste is so nasty!!

Date: July 09, 2008 05:06PM

It varies depending on the type of aloe plant you have. The most common varieties have either yellow or reddish sticky liquid between the leaf and the gel. It can also be clear. And yeah... not the best tasting thing at all I agree! When I do use it internally I put it in smoothies to mask the taste.

Date: July 10, 2008 03:21AM

i'll try to mix it with something else....

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 10, 2008 03:41AM

If something doesn't taste good, that is a sign by the body that perhaps what you are trying to eat is not good for your body. Succeeding on the raw diet is being able to listen to your body, and when you eat something that doesn't taste good, this is a classic example of listening to your mind over listening to your body.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:09PM

"In a natural form, Aloe juice (gel) is not very palatable - it is bitter and not exactly a pleasure to swallow, which is probably why it is not usually found mentioned as a healthful drink in our folk medicine repertoires, but rather as an emergency measure or 'heroic' medicine to treat parasitic intestinal or stomach infections." [www.sacredearth.com]

Aloe vera tastes bland to me.. the texture IS nasty winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables