Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bought some unhulled hemp
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: June 28, 2008 06:54PM

Hi,

I recently bought some unhulled hemp seeds from nutsonline.com and I'm starting to wonder if it's really raw.

The info I got tells me that it's illegal to sell it while it can grow a plant so the one sold in their shell has been irradiated and that is why a lot of people sell it unhulled so it can still be raw but with no possibility to grow.

Is this true? Also, I find the taste is much different. I actually miss the nutty taste of the hulled white and green ones compared to unhulled ones. It seems like with the hulled ones I get a much more concentrated dose or something because I don't see much of the white "meat" when I eat the ones I bought unhulled. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bought some unhulled hemp
Date: June 28, 2008 06:59PM

Well, I have an answer to my first question. I should read the description more carefully before buying next time.

This is at the end of the description on nutsonline: *Per United States regulations, these hemp seeds have been heat sterilized*

Well, no I wonder if I should still eat what I got or not.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: June 30, 2008 01:13AM

no, you shoudn't eat them. They are no longer raw and anyways, the precious omega 3's are all screwed up by the heating...

Date: June 30, 2008 01:36AM

hey! just saw that you're from Québec!! me too! Tu parles français?

Date: June 30, 2008 01:37AM

You're right, it's only 10$ down the drain, it's not that bad.

Also, my local health food store sells some cheap organic unhulled seeds from here in Canada and they assured me it can be sprouted so it lives!

I'm happy about that actually!

Date: June 30, 2008 01:38AM

Bien sur que je parles français! Ça fait plaisir de voir des gens d'ici qui mangent cru!

De quel coin tu viens?

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 30, 2008 05:31AM

Hi

Interesting one. I researched hemps seeds recently (as I rather like them!) and did indeed find that all hemp seeds are heat-sterilised before reaching the USA, so, very sadly, USA hemp seeds won't be raw, unless some suppliers have found a way round this. Well, certainly the whole ones, and I would have thought logically this would apply to the shelled ones as well? (although I hope very much someone can say otherwise).

UK raw fooders - the hemp seeds I bought from Infinity in Brighton sprouted beautifully, so looks as if ours are OK.

Love

Debbie Took

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 30, 2008 02:22PM

I've bought some raw hempseeds in the US without a problem.

And for hemp, omega 3s aren't destroyed by heat. That's for flax.

Date: June 30, 2008 02:32PM

its depends at wich temperature they "sterilize" them... They maybe could still be considered raw...

Sebzzz- Je viens de la rive-sud de Montréal (Saint-Bruno), et toi?

Date: July 01, 2008 04:29AM

Moi de Gatineau

Date: July 01, 2008 04:47AM

cool! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables