Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

For women with no periods
Posted by: Lollipop ()
Date: June 30, 2008 02:36PM

I am just wondering how much you are eating each day. I know that people with eating disorders, as well as athletes, often have no periods, since they are not eating enough to maintain their bodies needs.

So I'm curious as to how many calories you are eating each day - to see whether the absent periods are due to eating raw food (with lots of calories) or due to the fact that calorie intake has been drastically reduced when eating raw foods.

Thanks for any insight you can provide on this!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For women with no periods
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 01, 2008 05:35AM

I dont count calories

I ate tonnes when I first went raw, simplified my diet more and more since then. Life isnt about gorging..its about living

I ovulate like clockwork..hormones all perfect..so I certainly am not concearned!

so in answer to that..somedays 0, somedays 300 somedays 1000 somedays 3000..who knows! I just live!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 02, 2008 04:29PM

I don't think you could judge this based on caloric intake, anyway, since everyone is different.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: July 02, 2008 10:32PM

My periods stopped in February. I am 42 years old. Just like rawdanceruk, my caloric intake fluctuates but mostly I eat around 2500. At first I thought it was due to stopping oral contraceptives after 18 or 19 years on them. Initially, I went into a perimenopause then everything stopped. Now, I think it might be because I am rather vb12 deficient regardless of what I eat. I very recently started on a vb12 supplement.

I don't believe the stoppage is related to calorie or protein per se. Despite my relatively high calorie intake, I continue to lose weight and am starting to border on too skinny.

Patty

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 03, 2008 12:18AM

I was reading today that carotene (and other plant flavonoids, many occuring in citrus) plays a role in strengthening the uterine capillaries when estrogen levels fluctuate, so they don't break down and result in menstruation.

Also, the need for strong capillaries is only necessary IF hormone levels fluctuate--if they are mostly static for the month, there may not be menstruation, either.

To me, all that means is, EAT MORE MANGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And maybe drink carrot juice? Eat oranges? Limons?)

So the question would be, ladies, in addition to the fat levels, can you say anything about carotene consumption?

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: July 03, 2008 02:45AM

I have heard only of the fatintake relation to periods. That is of course kind of the same as low calorie but it had something to do with the fats themselves, not the calories they bring.
That theory is based on missing periods being a fat deficiency. Or, from whichever way you look at it, it could be a sign of health? Supposedly, you would still ovulate though.

I've looked orange-ish from too much carotene several times but my periods never stopped from that ^^

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 03, 2008 05:26AM

I dont eat overt fat or avo

Normal weight, train everyday..not skin and bones either lol

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: July 04, 2008 02:06AM

When I am juice fasting I don't get my period or it comes very late (ie. when back on solids, and in particular more nuts). When I eat more fats it comes more frequently, and no fats, it comes rarely. Less fat, less symptoms. More fat, more symptoms. That is just my experience so far.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: July 06, 2008 11:44PM

After 148 days (not like I was counting or anything) my period started again and this was following 1 week of vb12 supplements. My vote is that stopped period is related to vb12 deficiency compared to protein or fat. As far as symptoms go, I did notice (prior to the stop) that transitioning to raw lead to decreased symptoms overall. It will be interesting to see if they stay while I keep vb12 levels up. All along I have eaten carrots and/or mangoes daily - especially the past month or two when mangoes have been more abundant.

Patty

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: July 07, 2008 12:11AM

I was always told that menstruation is reliant on having a certain percentage of body fat. Not what you eat. When you go below a certain level you don't menstruate. I have not menstruated much of my life due to an extremely lean body. There seems to be a magical number that when I hit I have a period - Regardless of what I am eating. It is interesting to think that it might be related to other factors such as vitamin deficiency, consumption, etc....

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 08, 2008 01:59AM

I eat...a LOT...and I don't know why I don't get a period.
Probably 1,500 calories a day. I used to count and it was around there.
I fast a bit so maybe that has to do with it?

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 08, 2008 12:06PM

I also don't get a period. I haven't had one for about four years now. At first I was so worried. But I've been to many doctors and no one can find a reason for it. So I figure if it wants to come it will. If it's not meant to be, it won't. I eat as much as I can. Some days, I'm just not hungry and don't eat much. I just listen to my body. I do worry about not being able to have children, but then I just think of all the lovely children who need homes. Maybe I'm a person who is meant to take care of them and not my own. Just some thoughts, but if you don't get you period, as long as your eating, I wouldn't worry about. Life can be too much fun to worry.

My body weight is a little low. But I feel good, so I really don't care if some chart made by the government tells me I'm underweight. I could go out there and eat fries, cookies and cake and gain weight sure. But then I would be soooo unhealthy.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: July 08, 2008 08:55PM

Lizard:

Good for you. I too need follow your lead and throw out what people care about my weight. The only way for me to get near the "norm" is to eat loads of crap. Better to feel better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables