Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruit doesn't want to be my friend anymore
Posted by: m ()
Date: June 30, 2008 05:12PM

hi all,

just wanted to get some opinions on my most current raw adventure.

i've been raw for almost five years. up until recently, i was eating lots of sweet fruit and little fat. for example, i would mono-eat seasonal fruit throughout the day, drink at least 1 green smoothie and usually eat 1/2 - 1 avocado per day.

this past winter was a rough one for me. ater eating lots of citrus, my teeth were in excruciating pain making it near impossible for me to eat sweet fruit. dates killed my teeth! i started cutting back on fruit and eating more greens and my teeth improved immensely.

i made it through the winter and i'm still unable to eat sweet fruits the way i have in the past. the only foods i really want to eat are seaweed, corn,baby spinach, tomatoes, celery, cilantro, cucumbers and AVOCADO!!!! i want these foods even at breakfast!!!!! i used to HATE tomatoes....and now i can't get ENOUGH of them. i'm eating on average 2 avocadoes per day....sometimes 3!

i feel really good when eating less sweetness. i eat some sweet fruit here and there, but not nearly the amounts i ate before. when i do eat lots of fruit (because i think i should), it doesn't make me feel good at all!

i'm having a really hard time accepting this because i've always believed that a high sweet fruit diet is the most physiologically appropriate diet for humans!

has anybody else experienced this?????

love,
*m*

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruit doesn't want to be my friend anymore
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: June 30, 2008 05:20PM

yes, yes and yes.

there are many foods that aren't appealing to me right now that i used to eat all of the time and others that i couldn't stand that i can't get enough of also.

lately i'm eating tons of non-sweet fruits -- they taste like heaven to me. but just a short while ago i was having a sweet fruit juice/smoothie fest. sweet fruits aren't doing anything for me right now.

i think you just have to go with the flow of your what your body is wanting

i'm sure it will want the sweet fruits again

in the meantime...ENJOY your food :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2008 05:21PM by rawangel.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 30, 2008 05:38PM

I don't know why you are holding yourself to some standard. Choose what YOU think are the highest foods....and go for them. Each person is certainly different - and you have my 100% support.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: June 30, 2008 08:55PM

Regardless of anybody elses experience you have to always do what resonates with you.....you've already answered your own question here!

F1

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 01, 2008 09:19AM

i am having to drink orange thru a straw due to acidic erosion of my teeth -
so this is how i get round acidic drinks...

i have also recently discovered the carrot and pear juice combination
which tastes divine - is not acidic and has just enough sweetness to keep you
happy - you are better off juicing this yrself though as even if you find
this combination somehow shops allways!!! add sugar, fructose and glucose
why why why????

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 01, 2008 11:54AM

hi m

well, i love greens so my answer will be a bit biased
fruits are cool

but.... anyhoo... fill in the blank
i love chlorophyll (drinking them is divine)

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 01, 2008 12:11PM

I've backed off on fruit, too, these past few weeks. Except for watemelon, which I am still enjoying.

Don't worry about it, just go with the flow. It will come back at some point.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 01, 2008 03:37PM

I have experienced desire for less sweet fruit at times. and certainly when I am not hungry. Given how many avocados you are eating a day, you may not be very hungry when you get to your fruit. If what you are doing feels good for now, then this is the right thing for you at this moment. But don't be surprised if how things feel over time changes.

Date: July 01, 2008 04:15PM

I know what you mean. I have never been a big fruit eater, but when I first went on raw, I couldn't get enough of the sweet fruit!! Then I couldn't stop with oranges, all day long. But now, I haven't been wanting to eat sweet fruit at all. I think our bodies let us know what we want when we need it. That is one advantage of being raw for awhile, we can tell what our body is asking for (most of the time).

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 01, 2008 04:38PM

I wonder if appetite in general could be at play ? I have found that cooked junk food appetite is always on and donut eaters can keep mindlessly eating until they can't fit through a doorway anymore but fresh raw foods have a sensitive in sync appetite that senses when more or less storage of body fat is needed. Maybe your body fat level is slightly more then the body desires and so the appetite decreases ? As an experiment you could eat less for awhile and see if that brings back your appetite.

Date: July 01, 2008 05:04PM

hi everyone! thanks for all your replies!

bryan...as far as my appetite goes, i definitely still have one! i wait untill i'm hungry to eat...and in the past four years, i ate sweet fruit and was completely satisfied. now, when i'm hungry, sweet fruit is definitely NOT what i want to eat. when i do try to eat sweet fruit, it doesn't resonate with me at all! i feel unsatisfied and jittery.

ez rider...i've been raw for about 5 years...my weight has stabalized and i'm at about 18-19% body fat(i'm 5'6" 115lbs), which i think is healthy for a woman? i was the same weight when i was eating mostly sweet fruit.

DZM + Fruitarin 1....i totally hear you about following what feels right in my own body. yes, everyone is different....but, i'm having a hard time because i've been eating a certain way (high sweet fruit, lower fat) for so long that it's hard for me to accept that my body can't handle sweet fruit. it's just really trippy and i've been wondering if it's some sort of deficiency or something. but, i'll just take a deep breath and go with it! hopefully, i'll start wanting sweetness again around persimmon season! smiling smiley

thanks again, all!

much love,
m

Date: July 01, 2008 05:49PM

I wouldn't go as far to say that you can't handle sweet fruits anymore I would say that your body is simply wanting something different to what "YOU" think it needs....just be open to change!

just my 2 cents

F1

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 02, 2008 01:01AM

Just an opinion here.

If you're having trouble with your teeth, go light (or avoid temporarily) the acidic fruit like citrus, tomatoes and berries for awhile. Also, unripe fruit.

Those are the teeth killers.

Sweet fruit such as bananas, melons, figs, really sweet and ripe mango and dates, should not be trouble for your teeth. You were eating lots of oranges with the dates.

I also find that when I don't desire sweet foods as much, it is because I'm not being very active. Raise my activity level and all of a sudden, my appetite for sweet miraculously comes back. smiling smiley

I recently wrote an article that may interest you - basically I think you can only get your calories from 2 sources on the raw diet - fat or fruit - and I think there is a choice to be made here eventually. Here it is if you wanna read it:

[www.goingbananasblog.com]

Good luck on your journey! smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 02, 2008 08:23PM

I panicked when I didn't want ANY greens for the first 4 months or so of being raw. I just scarfed down the fruit and sprouts... and one day, just like magic, my body was like, "SALAD TIME!"

It was weird, because I used to love salad--then I suddenly lost all taste. The thought of it made me want to puke. Then my body finished what it was doing, and let me know, through signals and cravings for FRESH, RAW food (if cravings fit that criteria, I say, indulge!) that it was time for something new.

I also had about 6 weeks of eating an entire, giant (probably 2000 calorie) durian every day. And then it passed. The body was sated.

The only fruits I've NEVER gotten tired of are mangos and berries. Everything else comes and goes as needed... but is always welcome in my heart! =)

Also, I have had two bouts of painful gum attacks during my fruit rampages while being raw, both of which were remedied with wheatgrass juice (if you can stomach it, I couldn't the second time), natural hydrogen peroxide mouthwash, and PLENTY of greens.

I say, just listen to your body. If you are getting seriously adverse reactions--like not enjoying the taste to the point of forcing something, or irritated mouth--you should probably switch up your raw intake. There is a reason for the IMMENSE VARIETY of delectable gifts from the plant world, you know. =D

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: July 02, 2008 10:14PM

i'll second phantoms suggestion of the hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash
to heal gum dental problems.

two months ago i had serious dental pain and dentist said i needed a root canal.
i asked her to put it on hold while i tried a few tricks.

after a month of swishing twice a day with the h.p. a new dental
xray showed no trace of infection in the gum.

last week my dentist checked again and still the problem "seems to
have resolved itself" as my dentist sums it up.

btw, im curious, has your mood shifted without all the fruit sugar?

Date: July 02, 2008 10:57PM

thanks for the support, guys! sometimes one just needs to hear that others have gone/or are going through the same thing!

the last few days i've really been thinking about the boundries i have created... why i've made it so black and white for myself. i have been reflecting on why i have set up so many limits for myself (not eating more than one avo/day....eating high fruit, lower fat)...and why i haven't been able to trust what my body wants/needs. sometimes i feel it's hard to trust what your body wants...it's hard to distinguish between signals from your body to ingest certain foods, and cravings that may stem from toxic release or an emotional origin.

fruit girl,
focusing on more non-sweet fruits, greens and avocados has really helped me! i still eat very simply...no crazy combinations, no spices, no salt etc. my mood is more calm....and i'm not thinking about and eating food all day because i actually feel more satisfied. eating lots of fruit prior to this was making me feel agitated. i would go through highs/lows with my mood a lot. now, i eat less and less often and i don't feel like i have ants in my pants. i haven't cut out all sugar...my body definitely tells me when i need it. when that happens i'll have a couple apricots or a bowl of watermelon and be totally cool....

much love,
*m*

Date: July 02, 2008 11:00PM

ps. thanks for the tip about the Hydrogen Peroxide...i have used it in the past. i'll have to get some more. though now, a few months out of citrus season and by eating lots of GREEENS, my teeth have almost recovered! i only get pain when i eat super sweet stuff like dates. whew! smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 03, 2008 12:14AM

^Stop buying fruit with ants. tongue sticking out smiley

If the craving is for pure, unadulterated raw food, I believe you can trust it. I have gone through so many weird and delightful phases! It's exciting, in a way, to see what will happen next.

Rinsing with HP rocks, truly.

That's interesting you've been raw for 5 years, and experienced this now. I'm at 6 months and had it happen twice. =S I'm glad the remedies are edible... Acidic fruits (sour mango, burning pineapple, acidic green melon) seem to have set the gum flareups off, and then nearly everything else aggravates them until I eat piles of salad and rinse like crazy.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 20, 2008 02:59PM

of course i'm no nutritionist, but it is probably because of the lack of green thing- i think you're thinking perfectly fine budddee

if you think about it (or if you were raised like i and other people were) people grow up confused as to what they want to eat - like just look at the food guide pyramid. Think about kids and how they crave candy, maybe fruit became your candy, and if you've heard of hybrid fruits, this is something that may be another confusing factor in the raw diet. I read somewhere that hybrid fruits can only grow with the help of people, without bugs destroying them or other things, and have an odd effect on people's blood sugar levels. bananas fall into this category, which is a common one it seems among raw foodists - then again, i really don't have a set opinion about it, it's just a random thought i found in an article that you may be interested in.

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: July 20, 2008 03:59PM

Great discussion, everyone!

Here is the way I think about it for myself:

I feel that I mainly need 3 things from my food: living water, "sugar," and "minerals."

I need all 3, but sometimes I need more of one than the others. If I am dehydrated, my body needs more living water and watermelon or oranges will be very appealing. If I need a bit extra sugar, then bananas will look desirable. And when I am craving some mineral-rich tomatoes, I know I am needing that.

I find that when I give my body what it really needs, there is a feeling of perfect satiation.

You guys are all so cool!

: )

Love,
Julie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables