Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Crankiness and carb cravings
Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: July 04, 2008 08:43PM

Ive noticed that anytime I get hungry, I feel cranky, tense, TIRED, and have major attitude.
The only solution seems to be to eat some fruit and I notice that my mood changes from mean to happy..but It seems like it is hard to keep up with sometimes as fruit digests so fast for me.

Currently I eat high fruit/one avocado a day/and greens.

I feel like a slave to carbohydrates to keep my mood and blood sugar even.
Does this happen to anyone else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankiness and carb cravings
Posted by: Haida ()
Date: July 04, 2008 10:22PM

It happens to me when I dont keep my diet balanced, if I get busy and forget to eat/drink. Starchy fruit helps, smoothies, taking a moment, even water sometimes. I have found I am the most balanced when I snack during the day. Smoothies (especially green) during the day is great.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 06, 2008 08:32PM

For me, if I don't eat enough fruit, then I don't have enough energy to do much in my day. Whether or not I get cranky is a different issue. If I realize I am under fueled, I just don't push myself and I don't get cranky.

The reason you are a slave to carbohydrates is because every one of the trillions of cells in your body runs off of carbohydrates, that is it gets its energy from carbohydrates. So if you don't eat enough carbohydrates, you don't have enough fuel to run the body.

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: July 07, 2008 12:36AM

Bryan...
Thank you for the reply...

I understand what you are saying, but I feel like I get hungry again no more than an hour after I eat.

I just don't know how to fit the amount of carbs I need in my day.

It feels like my blood sugar level is constantly up or down...no balanced state.

Heres a sample of what I ate today in the order that I ate it, so far.....

5 am

1 small cantaloupe
a few leaves of Romaine

Between 730-1130am
4 bananas

1130am
1 avocado
1 cucumber
romaine

3pm
1 banana

WOW now that I have typed it out...it really doesn't add up to much!

Date: July 07, 2008 05:58AM

redstar_38,

So I entered your daily menu into fitday. This menu is 1011 calories, 28% fat, 66% carbs, and 6% protein. You are definitely eating too few carbohydrates to run your body. Also 28% fat is pretty high (but I did much worse when I was first starting at 60%-80% fat smiling smiley )

If you were to eat instead 3 small cantaloupes and 8 bananas plus the other foods you mentioned, you would have 1645 calories, with 20% fat and 74% carbs and 7% protein.

I am not surprised that you are feeling deficient in carbs.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 07, 2008 04:17PM

Bryan, how long did it take to comfortably adjust your body to 10% fat from when you started? Just curious. O.O

Date: July 07, 2008 04:28PM

It took me 2 years to go from 20% fat to 10% fat on the raw diet. However, when I discovered I was eating in excess of 60% fat, going down to 20% was effortless (that is, it felt good).

I am a big fan of not using control (extreme denial) to get changes in the diet. If a dietary change feels like I am denying myself something, there will be backlash.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 07, 2008 11:20PM

Yep I agree with Brian - our body is designed to run on simple carbs! Enjoy your fruit and eat as much as you desire. smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables