Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Another great benefit of being a raw foodist...
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 06, 2008 10:39PM

= less swimming in your own digestive juices. :-D Found this on another forum...interesting tidbit.

"According to the book, Sacred Wisdom of the Human Body, when the body is programmed to cooked foods, two gallons of digestive juices per day are pumped into the system. When the body is programmed to be a raw food eater, it is only one cup per day. That means if you eat three cooked meals a day, your body produces 700 mg. of saliva, 750 mg. of pancreatic juice, 3 liters of stomach juice and 3.5 liters of intestinal juice. Altogether, two gallons per day. If you put your ear to your belly, what do you hear? Growling. That's those juices pumping. All those juices give you an uncomfortable feeling. You feel tension, light-headedness, weakness, irritability, even depression, hunger pains, headaches and withdrawal symptoms. The only thing that will give you relief is cooked food. You feel hungry, you feel starved. That never happens to people who eat only raw food. They could easily move the time of lunch for two or three hours, even miss it completely, and they don't feel any discomfort."

Source: www.consumerhealth.org/articles/display.cfm?ID=20030810073725

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another great benefit of being a raw foodist...
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 06, 2008 11:11PM

I posted a thread here a few days ago questioning, whether or not SAD RDAs really applied to rawfoodists.

So the cooked people would probably need more nutrients than the raw foodists to make all those digestive juices.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 06, 2008 11:36PM

Lillian, I'm not sure I'm following you. Do you mean SAD folks use more of their carbs/energy stores to produce the digestive juices? How I was interpreting this from this little blurb is if you're a raw foodist, you experience better digestion and produce less unnecessary fluid. And less digestive juices means better absorption of nutrients (that generally digest themselves) and provide more energy in the body in general. The other benefit is not being prone to the false hunger/starvation signals which according to this information is partially attributable to all of that extra fluid in the stomach and colon (that SAD eaters usually experience).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2008 11:37PM by rawangel.

Date: July 07, 2008 02:10AM

Yes that's basically what I was meaning, they are using their carbs, and also using the nutrients are needed for the production of these digestive secretions.
Some are:

Bile has lecithin

Vitamin B6 is necessary for the production of hydrochloric acid.

Nutritional requirements for the pancreas are many. Research indicates that chromium vitamins C, E, B-complex, calcium, magnesium and potassium are especially important.

Enzymes are used in many places throughout the digestive system and enzymes are mostly protein.

So if these organs are producing two gallons a day for cooked SAD v. 1 cup a day for raw folk, that means that they need 32 times the amounts of these nutrients for digestion alone. Wow!

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: July 07, 2008 04:50AM

2 gallons sounds a bit ...exaggerated to me? But that's just because I hear this theory for the first time. I mean...2 gallons is a LOT.

Date: July 07, 2008 06:03AM

I really did question that too and wondered if it was possibly including dietary intake but this site on irritable bowel syndrome says that there are 7500 ml of digestive fluids in a 24 hour period. That converts to 1.98 gallons.

[www.ibs-research-update.org.uk]

Approximate daily volumes of fluid (ml)
handled by the human gastrointestinal tract.

Fluid volume (ml)
Input Diet 1500
Digestive juices 7500
Total 9000
Absorption Small intestine 7500
Colon 1300
Output Stool 200

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2008 06:04AM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 07, 2008 07:35AM

2 gallons wow !

But where is the evidence for this

<<When the body is programmed to be a raw food eater, it is only one cup per day.>>

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: July 07, 2008 09:19AM

The body spent a tremendous amount of energy to digest food raw or not. Yet the body does not need as much food. That is why some on a sober cooked food diet live longer [drbass.com] . That is why fasting is so healing.
The benefit of eating raw are wasted for those who eat all the time.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 07, 2008 04:14PM

That explains what happened to most of my bloating. angry smiley

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: July 07, 2008 05:43PM

Aha, interesting. So this means the juices are being recycled as they go. A little bit in, a little bit out, put a lot of it makes roundtrips as those digestive juices?
Still, that is a lot of fluid...wow!

Date: July 07, 2008 06:52PM

If the diet is low in enzymes the pancreas will enlarge itself to make more, so that would also be an indication that a cooked food diet requires more juices.

Plant Enzyme Deficiency
[www.online-ambulance.com]
Dr. Lee has frequently seen in her practice the consequences of eating a predominantly cooked-foods diet-various inflammations, pancreatic hypertrophy (enlargement), a toxic colon, and allergies. . . Pancreatic hypertrophy results when a diet lacking in enzymes puts an extra strain on the enzyme production of the pancreas. If the pancreas falls behind in its work, the organ will hypertrophy (enlarge) just as a thyroid grows a goiter when it cannot make enough hormones. This happens anytime an organ cannot produce enough secretions and enlarges in an attempt to make more secretion.

I really couldn't find anything concrete about raw producing only one cup a day of digestive fluids, I'd love to see that! But, the stomach can be shrunken by the practice of eating smaller meals. Does this mean that there is less surface area for the production of gastric secretions?
[www.robynflipse.com]
The connection between big appetites and big stomachs has long been acknowledged by obesity experts. In a study of 14 overweight people, Allan Geliebter, Ph.D., a psychologist and leading researcher in eating behavior at the Obesity Research Center of St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital in New York City, inserted a balloon attached to a tube into each subject's stomach, then filled the balloon with water to measure stomach capacity. Each person needed about tour cups to experience a feeling of being uncomfortably full. Geliebter then put everyone on a low-calorie diet for four weeks. When he measured stomach capacities again, he found that his subjects needed only about three cups to feel uncomfortably full--a 27 percent reduction and the same amount needed by people of normal weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables