Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Flax Oil - When to Toss? Expiration?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: July 07, 2008 10:28AM

My friend gave me several bottles of a flax oil blend and I've had the bottles for about 6 months now, unopened. I wanted to start using them but then I looked at the expiration date and it is very close off now, just a couple of months away. These say also that they don't need refrigeration until they are opened. With flax oils being as fragile and going off so quickly, I don't even know if I can trust these dates as hard line dates to toss them. I'm very paranoid about them not being good. What do you think?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2008 10:30AM by nik.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flax Oil - When to Toss? Expiration?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 07, 2008 12:48PM

What's the brand? Is it a dark-colored bottle to block out light?

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: July 07, 2008 02:29PM

I think you're being overly paranoid. In the past I've had open bottles of flax and hemp oil in my fridge that went past the expiration date and they were just fine. Since yours is still within the date...open it, enjoy it then refrigerate it.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 07, 2008 05:37PM

Those flax oils are probably rancid by now. If a flax has been refined to remove the elements that allow you to detect its rancidity, it may not smell or taste bad, but it still could be past its prime. The really good flax oils are sold in the refrigerated sections and don't last that long.

In general, avoid flax oil as most likely the flax oil you get is already rancid. If you want to correct your omega-3 and omega-6 imbalances, simply reduce the amount of omega-6 you are consuming. If you don't eat refined fats and oils, and keep your fatty fruits/nuts/seeds consumption down to 20% or less of your caloric intake, your balance of omega-6 to omega-3 ought to be OK.

Date: July 17, 2008 02:10AM

Wow, such different opinions. Who's do I take? LOL!

Is there anyway to tell by the taste if it's ok? It is an oil blend, not just flax, by Vega and is in a dark plastic bottle, unopened. I guess I will smell it and try it, I'm just a little paranoid about starting to use a lot of it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 18, 2008 04:50AM

In general, avoid flax oil as most likely the flax oil you get is already rancid.
Do you have a source on that or is it just something you heard from someone?

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: July 19, 2008 06:24AM

Throw out the oil it is empty calories and not healthful no matter what the marketing brochures say.

Date: July 22, 2008 12:55AM

Needed EFA's are at the core of the nutrients I need / alt. to meds. I eat things with whole flax in them and it hasn't really done anything for me. So I wouldn't say is is empty or unhealthful in any way. This plus DHA oil.

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: July 22, 2008 06:23PM

Who say's you need those EFA's?

Foods do nothing to you your body heals itself.

Stop buying into the marketing gimmicks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables