Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How many of you buy organic produce?
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 05:44PM

Dear all,

I wanted to ask you if you buy organic fruits and veg or just conventional?

Right now we buy non-organic regular fruits and vegetables but I want to change that.

But cost is the main concern... There is no farmers market near where I live, so can't get for cheap. I have whole foods and sun flower market, but I am wondering what this will cost:

Typically here's what we buy for one week:

2 dozen bananas
1 cantaloupe
2 dozen apples
2 lb grapes
2 dozen oranges
1 watermelon
1 pineapple
5 lb carrots
5 bell peppers
5 cucumbers
10 tomatoes
12 plums or peaches
12 nectarines

I am wondering what to expect in terms of cost per week.

Can you please share your experiences. How much per week do you spend for organic produce?

Take care
A Iyer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many of you buy organic produce?
Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 10, 2008 06:01PM

I buy mostly conventional produce but if it's something with a very permeable skin, noticeable pesticide residue or there's no safer alternative, I'll either skip it or get organic.

It is too expensive to even entertain the thought of buying all my groceries organic.

For example, cherries at my local co-op were 9.99 a lb. That means the average bag of cherries would reach upwards of 25 dollars. Hence why I've started growing my own edibles.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 10, 2008 06:51PM

i buy organic when i can and conventional when i have to. i stick to the cheaper ones though. i won`t buy berries/cherries organic cept strawberries cuz they`re too pricey. sometimes i`ll buy organic frozen and it seems they`re a bit cheaper. i have whole foods as well and it`s expensive! sunflower is better and wild oats is better than whole foods even though whole foods owns wild oats
patty

Date: July 10, 2008 06:57PM

We shop at food co-ops and farmers markets mostly. Theres a Whole Foods up the road from us that we also go to. Most of the fruit and vegetables we buy are organic. I would say we usually spend anywhere between $80 to $120 per week for the two of us. Winter is obviously more expensive if we are in Ohio. If we are back in the Caribbean then it is usually on the lower end of the scale. My husband is not entirely raw (he eats a cooked dinner usually) so there are some non raw purchases in those amounts also.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: July 10, 2008 07:01PM

With all the other pollution about I don't bother with organics.

F1

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 10, 2008 10:48PM

I spend between $30-40 on organic produce per week. On a good week I can get it down to $25. I look for marked down items at my food co-op, go to the farmer's markets on the weekends, and I'm sometimes delightfully surprised to find organic produce at Costco for a good price. They usually have fruits in bulk that I can freeze for smoothies and stuff like that. I've been eating organic for 12 years and I can taste the difference with conventional now. I would pay as much as I had too for organic to be honest. Eventually I'll have my own garden so hopefully this will help keep costs manageable too. :-)

Posted by: goodsamaritan ()
Date: July 11, 2008 04:17AM

I try to make it a point that the food we buy and eat is organic. There are foods by default that are organic / wild. There is no organic labeling in the Philippines so it is a trust based system.

Yes, we pay higher prices for organic produce but we hardly ever get sick so spending for health is worth it.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 11, 2008 04:45AM

If You are raw you care about what you eat and your health #1, so why make an `eception for `chemicals that are known to cause cancer???
Lots of info on the chems used on your foods, if you read you will spend the `money and go organic. Also the taste of oranic vs chemical its apples and bottom `paint.
You cant aford not to go organic now your health your children the planets `future.
Monsanto, Dow, they own the FDA and you are the test.
Raw Chemicals????????????????????????
ORGANIC PLANETS PLEASE

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 11, 2008 05:03AM

Molesting the topsoil with tons of chemicals isn't exactly vegan...

I turned my budget upside down to start buying organic, and it's really worth it. The food is grown with more respect... so that's more respect you put into your body. =)

And the fruit seems so much happier!

Date: July 11, 2008 05:41AM

thankyou Phantom, Molesting top soils with tons of chemicals isnt exatctly `vegan.
(Chemical farming has been the greatest disaster ever to modern day agriculture)
`also it has detroyed 80% of the ground water in the US from farm run off
`and cant not be filterd out!
It has made dead zones out of many rivers and streams in US.
DARE TO KEEP YOUR KIDS OFF AGG CHEMICALS,

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 11, 2008 12:00PM

I am fortunate enough to not buy most of my produce at all. I have a huge garden, and my partner works at a co-op where all the produce is organic. Staff is allowed to take home produce that gets culled from the shelves. It is usually in season and at the peak of ripeness. So we set ourselves up pretty well, which is good, since we don't make very much money. But if we weren't set up like this, I would still eat only organic, as I have most of my adult life. It is a conviction for me.

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 11, 2008 12:52PM

I probably spend about $80 a week. I only buy organic. I know there is pollution anyways, but I would prefer to buy produce that doesn't have petroleum-based fertilizer and toxic pesticides (actively applied), also weird DNA (injected with viruses). These pesticides and fertilizers are extremely destructive to the environment and people. Often, the workers are not given protection they need and the chemicals then seep into the people's water supply. Organic also means healthier soil, which means produce that is richer in vitamins and minerals. This is one reason paying extra is worth it. It is easier for me because I don't have kids and this is the one area I splurge, but on the other hand if I did have kids I think I would care even more about buying organic. I plan on having a garden and greenhouse one day. That will definitely help me. You should look for co-ops and farmers markets in your area.

ps. If you were buying all that at the supermarket, I guess it would cost about $100 - $120 (just a shot in the dark).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2008 01:02PM by Joanne81.

Date: July 11, 2008 02:34PM

For everyone's rude statements about conventional produce, I'd just like to say, is that so? Are you insinuating that people don't care about their health or environment because they buy conventional produce?

I am 17 years old. I don't have a stable income, and to make things easier, I purchase mainly conventional produce. I have an organic garden but I can't afford to implement an orchard. I'm just asking that some of you think before you speak, as not everyone can realistically afford to solely purchase organics.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 11, 2008 02:59PM

I can't afford to buy organic, except on rare occasions. I try to get organic when it's fruits or vegies that are known to be the worst for pesticides -- strawberries, red peppers, etc.. Or I just don't buy them. If it has a thick skin I can remove (avos, bananas) I don't give it a second thought. Even so, I break the bank every month buying produce.

I now get some of my produce from our own organic public garden-- that's a great help, but so far we've only gotten lettuce, spinach, herbs, and a baby eggplant. Tomatoes are coming up in awhile-- I really look forward to that.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 11, 2008 03:10PM

rawfrancois - I wasn't insinuating that people who buy conventional don't care. I apologize if I came off that way. I was merely trying to state the reasons I choose to pay more for organic. I think mostly everyone was just stating the facts. There are some pretty nasty agricultural practices going on. It is the sad truth.

Date: July 11, 2008 05:22PM

You can dig through old posts here and see how irate I used to be about the price of organic... And, finally, one day, I just did it and haven't looked back.

I cared plenty back then, too. For me, it just got down to a point where both my body and my mind were ready to accept it and make the necessary sacrifices to do the best I think I can do--which includes being as organic as possible. I don't want my hands in any crimes against the earth, and I want to do whatever that takes--but I have ways to go, and it is a long way out. Going organic is just one step in a larger process.

Rawfrancois, congratulations on being here at only 17! I had to wait until I graduated high school to start learning about vegetarianism, really, so you are way ahead of the game. Not eating meat, soy, and a lot of conventional grains takes a lot of strain off the earth as it is, so that's wonderful. Perhaps with time, you may want to consider organic when you are able, and see how it makes you feel. =)

Edit: And the roles GMOs are playing in the extinction of our key pollinators really upsets me, so I'd like to avoid those like the plague that they are. The more I learn about GMOs, the scarier and scarier I realize they are. angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2008 05:24PM by phantom.

Posted by: mameyluver ()
Date: July 11, 2008 05:27PM

How I'd love to have my own farm, or at least a fruit tree ... My papaya plant didn't make it, and my banana plant is not bearing fruit. But yes, I buy organic mostly. I so miss strawberries because I'm too cheap to buy them organic ...

xoxo,
Lita

[paintedrenderings.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2008 07:52PM

I always buy only organic. I don't think the cost is really that much different-cheaper than expensive pharmacy drugs for diseases! (especially since I don't have good health insurance)

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: July 12, 2008 01:22PM

I think since our environment is so polluted, especially when you live in a city, or a prebuild house, you'd better get organic to at least get some relieve to your body and natural filters.
Cost shouldn't be your concern over your health. If you need more money for your food, take a close look at your budget and do some cuts on the unnecessary stuff, like that cellphone, the big TV...
Also, when you buy non organic, and you wonder to the arm you might be doing to your body, then think to the farm workers who are heavily exposed to the chemicals you are wondering about. The dollar you save on buying non organic is the health you take from a farm worker.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 12, 2008 03:08PM

>Cost shouldn't be your concern over your health. If you need more money for your food, take a close look at your budget and do some cuts on the unnecessary stuff, like that cellphone, the big TV...<

Even non-organic is too expensive where I live. It just really isn't feasible for some of us, even with our priorities set straight (no cell phone, no car expenses, no nights out on the town) to buy mostly or all organic. And those of us who have families, whose loved ones eat differently from us, often have to buy a whole lot of food, and it takes a lot of ingenuity to figure out how to balance the budget.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 12, 2008 03:29PM

And those of us who have families, whose loved ones eat differently from us, often have to buy a whole lot of food

*nods* very true kwan. This is why our grocery bill is so high. My husband is not completely raw (but I have gotten him to the stage where he now eats two raw meals a day!!)and we have an older dog that requires special food and medication. I am always really grateful that we are able to afford it all.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: July 12, 2008 04:26PM

````

All the more proof we have to get back to the garden!
`(HOMEGROWN) back yard, roof top, Your town, city, vacant land
grab you county city supervisers and tell them you want to use land for ```community garden space.
You must find a way around chem foods it is a matter of life and death.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: July 12, 2008 08:07PM

That's why we decided to move to a place that we can afford without loan, and where we can grow most of our food. For us, it was the only way to live according to our ethics.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: July 12, 2008 09:12PM

I'm sorry if I came off negatively to anyone here. Everyone participating on these boards comes from different a different location and background. Perhaps organic foods are not much different in price for you, but in my area, organic food is significantly higher priced than conventional. I have been eating raw foods for 3 years now, and the grocery bill is high enough without solely buying organics, as much as I would love to only eat organic foods.

Phantom, I appreciate the kind words. When I am out of college, I plan on living somewhere subtropical and buying more organic in addition to growing my own crops.

And Kwan, your posts are always incredibly thoughtful and you are very knowledgeable about the subject at hand. Thank you for your insight.

TheCoconutChronicles, I agree about pet care...natural pet food here is anywhere from 88 cents to 1.97 a can, with the recommended serving size being 3 cans per day.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 12, 2008 09:27PM

rawfrancois Wrote:
>
> TheCoconutChronicles, I agree about pet
> care...natural pet food here is anywhere from 88
> cents to 1.97 a can, with the recommended serving
> size being 3 cans per day.

are you sure you need to feed 3 cans per day? thought of making/checking into making your own? i used to do it for my dogs but didn`t for my cats....not enough time to research both unfortunately.my cats get a bit of kibble and 1/3 a can of wet food per feeding
patty
sorry to go off topic

Date: July 13, 2008 02:04AM

Foraging is local and organic... >8)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 13, 2008 09:07AM

I do when I can. But most of the time there isn't much of a selection where I live, and/or it's so expensive. I do the best that I can, and it's much better than a SAD.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 13, 2008 10:42AM

I buy what I can organic, otherwise conventional.

end of the day I have to afford to keep a roof over my head..as well as thrive on the best food I can put into my body!!

I am thinking with those amounts, buying direct from wholesale may work out a lot cheaper!!

I find buying direct is 40-55% CHEAPER. Its worth contacted some wholesalers

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 16, 2008 08:50PM

Some motivation to do so?

Web address:
[www.sciencedaily.com]
080223112253.htm
Earthworms Found To Contain Chemicals From Households And Animal Manure

enlarge

Scientist collected earthworms from a soybean field fertilized with biosolids. The earthworms were analyzed for 77 different chemicals; 20 chemicals were detected in the earthworms. (Credit: USGS)
ScienceDaily (Feb. 27, 2008) — Earthworms studied in agricultural fields have been found to contain organic chemicals from household products and manure, indicating that such substances are entering the food chain.

Manure and biosolids, the solid byproduct of wastewater treatment, were applied to the fields as fertilizer. Earthworms continuously ingest soils for nourishment and can accumulate the chemicals present in the soil.

The chemicals investigated are considered indicators of human and animal waste sources and include a range of active ingredients in common household products such as detergents, antibacterial soaps, fragrances, and pharmaceuticals. Some of the detected chemicals are naturally occurring such as plant and fecal sterols and fragrances. All of these chemicals tend to be concentrated in the municipal waste distribution and disposal process and are referred to as anthropogenic waste indicators (AWI).

U.S. Geological Survey Scientists and their colleague from Colorado State University at Pueblo published their new findings today in Environmental Science and Technology. The results demonstrate that organic chemicals introduced to the environment via land application of biosolids and manure are transferred to earthworms and enter the food chain.

Scientists found 28 AWIs in biosolids being applied at a soybean field for the first time and 20 AWIs in earthworms from the same field. Similar results were found for the field where swine manure was applied. Several compounds were detected in earthworms collected both from the biosolids- and manure-applied fields, including phenol (disinfectant), tributylphosphate (antifoaming agent and flame retardant), benzophenone (fixative), trimethoprim (antibiotic), and the synthetic fragrances galaxolide, and tonalide. Detergent metabolites and the disinfectant triclosan were found in earthworms from the biosolids-applied field, but not the manure-applied field.

Biosolids are made from the sludge generated by the treatment of sewage at wastewater treatment plants. Biosolids are used as fertilizer by farmers, landscapers, and homeowners when it satisfies U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and local regulations for nutrient, metal, and pathogen content. About half of the 8 million dry tons of biosolids produced in the U. S. each year are applied to the land. Biosolids have been found to be rich in AWIs compared to levels in wastewater treatment plant effluent. In addition, the 1.3 million farms raising livestock in the U. S. generate an estimated 500 million tons of manure annually, much of which is also applied to fields as fertilizer for crops.

This study is part of a long-term effort by the USGS Toxic Substances Hydrology Program to determine the fate and effects of chemicals of emerging environmental concern in aquatic and terrestrial environments, and to provide water-resource managers with objective information that assists in the development of effective water management practices. It was funded in part by a Research Corporation Cottrell College Award and a Faculty Research Grant from Eastern Washington University.

Adapted from materials provided by US Geological Survey.
Need to cite this story in your essay, paper, or report? Use one of the following formats:
APA

MLA
US Geological Survey (2008, February 27). Earthworms Found To Contain Chemicals From Households And Animal Manure. ScienceDaily. Retrieved July 7, 2008, from [www.sciencedaily.com] /releases/2008/02/080223112253.htm

Posted by: AshleyMartin ()
Date: August 27, 2008 11:26PM

Hi Friends,

I buy only organic.............The people think that buying organic is expensive but it is not so......Science is proving that organic foods are healthier for you and contain higher counts of vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. Organic products typically cost 10 to 40% more than similar conventionally produced products. Processed organic foods vary in price when compared to their conventional counterparts. But it is possible to eat 100% organic if you systematically budget it.

There is great difference between price and value of the product. We always look at the price of the product and neglect the important thing i.e. value of the product. Organic food may cause few more dollar than conventional food but the value you are getting from it is more important. Still you can manage to save dollars and afford organic food if you have systematic approach.

You can find some great tips for budgeting organic food in the article linked below

[www.organicauthority.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables