Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Great friends who invite you to a restaurant.
Date: July 10, 2008 06:28PM

So I recently made friends with a big group and they love to go out to eat! What do you order when sitting with a group of friends?

Do you order a salad with no dressing and ask for lemon wedges?

Do you order a vegetarian dish with no cheese?

Do you just go and don't eat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great friends who invite you to a restaurant.
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 10, 2008 06:42PM

[Do you order a salad with no dressing and ask for lemon wedges? ]

Yeah. And if they have fresh fruit ask for a fruit plate.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 10, 2008 06:42PM

What I do is not count on getting my nutrition and meal from the restaurant. So I will typically eat beforehand so I am not hungry (or not eat, if I am not hungry already), and just order a large salad no dressing and a glass of water. Or if they have it, a fruit plate.

If I am a bit hungry when I get to the restaurant, I might order a whole avocado with the salad.

But I don't expect the restaurant to really feed me, as what I probably desire anyway is a few pounds of red seeded watermelon.

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 08:29PM

I eat before hand and then get a small salad and water.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 10, 2008 09:41PM

I would feel awkward not eating while everyone else does,so I would just get a salad.Most places will bring you out a HUGE salad and you can sit there and eat for as long as the others would with all the meat and potatoes. smiling smiley
Brian

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 10, 2008 10:40PM

My friends are wonderful too and we take turns going to vegetarian, traditional and raw restaurants. Lately we've been driving into the Bay Area to go to Cafe Gratitude which they love. The cuisine is a little too heavy for me now, but at least I can eat the food! When we go to other places, I just order a salad. I tend to not sweat if it's organic or not. Took me awhile to let that go!

Posted by: mameyluver ()
Date: July 11, 2008 05:38PM

This is the most challenging part of being raw for me ... Mostly I'm good, but occasionally I will be very, very bad ... but then I just jump back on the raw wagon the next meal.

xoxo,
Lita

[paintedrenderings.blogspot.com]

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 12, 2008 05:55AM

Hi

I've just written an article on 'raw and social occasions'(including restaurants), which could help.

It's at:

[www.rawforlife.co.uk]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 12, 2008 09:59AM

I do just as Bryan says. I eat before I leave the house....and sometimes bring a snack in my pocket (rarely). Invariably, I make it clear that I am there to spend time with THEM, and that I'm not hungry....and is that OK? I have never had a problem in 10 years.

-In my case, I just find it easier to commit to no one else preparing my food for me.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: July 12, 2008 02:15PM

Chances are I would have already taken care of my nutritional needs before hand so eating just for social reasons would not fly, that doesn't mean I wouldn't still go out though, I just wouldn't need to have anything and would simply enjoy the conversiation/banter with friends.

F1

Date: July 12, 2008 04:13PM

Thank you for your replies, I feel so awkward sitting there not eating while everyone is. I like the idea of bringing an Avocado with me and ordering a salad. I have also done what mameyluver has done and felt sick for a a couple of days. I can not deal with that. Thanks, you guys!

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 13, 2008 09:15PM

Another alternative is to take your own food.
Something simple, celery,carrot and cucumber sticks; and some nuts;
and tell the waitress the Dr. has me on a special diet.

Something along these lines. This method can be combined with eating some food before hand.

Date: July 13, 2008 09:34PM

happyway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another alternative is to take your own food.
> Something simple, celery,carrot and cucumber
> sticks; and some nuts;
> and tell the waitress the Dr. has me on a special
> diet.

Good idea. I hate lying, but we used to use this trick if we went to an omni restaurant. We'd get them to make me something animal-free, and make sure they didn't cheat by telling them I was vegan because of serious allergies to dairy and egg etc.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 13, 2008 10:24PM

The last time I had breakfast with someone I ordered an orange juice and a small salad. I just let him do all the talking and I sat there rapt... just listening to him. He didn't even realize I had not touched my salad and barely drank the orange juice ( pesticide haven). I am a good listener so I'm good at letting the other person feel as if they are onstage...and me... the perfect audience.

Most people ( if not ALL people) will not sever their friendship with you unless you are eating garbage... so don't worry. You don't even have to do anything.. just sit there and enjoy their company. Salad is okay but I have yet to see a restaurant that makes a decent salad or dressing. LIke the others above said, forget the notion that a restaurant is there to nourish you.. period. You are a lot better off with that realization.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables