Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What types of food would you bring camping?
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 11, 2008 08:40PM

???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What types of food would you bring camping?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 11, 2008 09:03PM

If I was 100% raw? Apples mainly. If I ate nuts, these are a good source of concentrated energy. A sprout bag is fun....if you've got extra water.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: uma ()
Date: July 13, 2008 06:43AM

I am also looking into this for weekend backpacking trips. Dried fruits, dates, maybe some nuts/seeds. Homemade nori rolls... Thought of taking some wheatgrass powder for that greens fix if no known edibles are around.

I also want to learn more about how to forage wild edibles.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 13, 2008 10:46AM

Would take a cooler

Oranges, apples, mini cucumbers, Banana's, peppers

that would be about it

Plenty of water

if you wanted to get a bit more elaborate..green smoothie leathers, some crackers and a sack full of avocados.

Date: July 13, 2008 06:48PM

Green smoothie leathers? Hmm, so you make a smoothie then dehydrate it or something?
Love,
Uma

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 13, 2008 09:36PM

yep..simple as that!!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 14, 2008 01:55PM

We're going camping for 2 weeks starting July 23rd, and we'll be on an island with no water and no stores or signs of civilization. (Yippee!) Just us, a few other campers, and two rangers. Oh-- and in August there are lots and lots of blackberries. We do this every summer, once in July and usually once in August, as well. We take some juicy fruits for the first day or two, but after that it's pretty much limited to dried fruit and nuts, avocados and dried salad fixings w/organic lemon juice from a bottle.

This year the water taxi route is open again to a coastal port that has a big supermarket within a 15 min. walk, so we'll be able to take a couple trips to buy bananas, oranges, etc., and easily pick up more 2-1/2 gal. waters and put them on a dolly. I'm planning to stop eating every day at 4 or 5pm and dry fast till morning.

If you're going on a short trip, fruit should keep for a couple days, and you can supplementt with some dried fruit and nuts or seeds. Avocados are delightful. I wrap them in foil or put them in individual ziplocks, and they keep beautifully, as long as they're not too ripe to start with.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: July 14, 2008 04:05PM

The most worthwhile wild green is young tender sprouting grass. Chew, drink the juice and spit out the fiber. I just bring fruit when going to the high Sierra. As the snows melt off, California Brome sprouts up and it's a delicious way to round out the diet.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 14, 2008 08:36PM

In North America... BLACKBERRIES.

I just foraged nearly a liter today and could have kept picking!! They're also unmistakable... meaning you don't have to learn much of anything to recognize these plants. =D

You can google "wildman Steve Brill" for his website... very nice pictures and foraging info! (I think his first name is Steve... tongue sticking out smiley )

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 15, 2008 12:14AM

phantom

thanks for the info about wildman Steve Brill"

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: July 15, 2008 04:46PM

I would love to take green smoothies in a cooler - but thats just for a day. After that, tons of fruit. Some nuts.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2008 06:19PM

Apples, oranges, carrots, celery, broccoli, almond butter, dried fruits, nuts and crackers. All of it is also preety good for backpacking trips.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 15, 2008 10:12PM

Dates, apples, oranges/mandarins, a few bananas, maybe some celery. :-)

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: July 17, 2008 01:59AM

Brome,

Thanks for the suggestion about California Brome. I am wanting to learn more about wild edibles in California so I can supplement my dried foods while on the trail. I just ordered a couple books on identifying wild edible plants.. it is all new to me (except a few basics like miners lettuce or purslane).

Love,
Uma

Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: July 17, 2008 04:49PM

hey Joanne,

where exactly are you going? Sounds fantastic. I go on camping trips too. I eat raw bars, fruits. I typically eat a cooked meal at night.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: July 17, 2008 05:01PM

When my partner and I backpacked Europe for our honeymoon we made a few pounds of raw trail mix. We supplamented fruits and salads whenever possible. We do the same for any kind of trip. Usually fruit for the first few days that was brought. The softer ones first then to the more firm better traveled. bananas. tomatoes, pears, berries, to oranges and apples. I would probably do the same for camping.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 17, 2008 07:14PM

Well, this weekend I'm going three days to an outdoor concert thing...

I've bought bags of cherries, grapes, nectarines, bananas, strawberries, and a few nuts. They should all stay fresh enough for the three days, anyway, as long as I can keep them out of the sun and away from bugs.

My boyfriend was being extra grumpy about it, so he gets to carry the cooler. >8)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables