Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

COLONICS?? what r raw gurus saying about it? anyone knows???
Date: June 18, 2006 06:17AM

hello All

yes,
sometimes i feel i maybe should do colonics, to help my body in cleansing/healing process
but
what keeps me from doing/trying it out is remembering that the opinions on the subject r divid....

now
what do raw gurus say about colonics? anyone knows?
BLESSINGS & LOVE, Basia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: COLONICS?? what r raw gurus saying about it? anyone knows???
Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 18, 2006 06:14PM

Basia,

All you need to know is that some of the oldest health folks that lived all recommended colonics for health. Dr. Norman Walker, who wrote many health books, wrote a book on colon care. It is questionable how old he truly was at the time of his death but most people believe it was around 118. His book, Colon Health Key to Vibrant Life, is a major reference item in my library. So, are you going to listen to a few 30 somethings that aren't sure, or will you listen to someone that lived a long, fruitful life helping others? It's up to you.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 18, 2006 07:11PM

-I'm for them - if used occasionally to accellerate a process that you are already on. I don't reccomend them as a means to repair neglect.....or if a person is just cleaning out....so they can shovel some poor foods in there!

-I've had several - and my experience has been positive.

-David Mason

Date: June 18, 2006 10:50PM

thank U rawmark & davidzenmanson! i appreciate U'r opinions & value them...

noooow

if i was to go for it

- which colonics ....bag(?) would U recommend?...
i could find nothing in stores that i phoned, only disposable/cheep ones...& i of course do not want to use anything disposable, to clean myself out & pollute the planet instead, that would be crazy...of course, had seen some on the net...that seem to go for ~5O$ US or above...???

also

- did U notice any ....strange/awfull stuff coming out of U during the colonic cleansing, the way they say it will happen, when they call us to do the colonics???...or is it maybe just the case with...'cooked'/SAD people???

- & do U eat any different before or after the...treatment??...i mean, i hear that we will remove/deprive ourselve of some of the nutrients, that would be still absorbed by the body, while the consumed food travels through the colon...
thouth, now, thinking about it....we're also told, we eat way more thatn we need to...sooooo....what's U'r opinion?

LOTS OF LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Date: June 19, 2006 01:01AM

-Don't confuse a colonic (a professional irrigation and 'suck out' with a machine) vs. an enema (which can be done with a good hanging bag).

-Do I eat any different? No.....although I HAVE fasted before a colonic before.

-Nah...nothing strange or awful coming out....besides the ordinary awful stuff! LOL. But I had been raw for some time........which is a good thing!

-Colonics aren't cheap. A lot of places it's between 50 - 100 per session.

-David Mason

Date: June 19, 2006 02:47AM

[www.optimalhealthnetwork.com]

This is the exact same one that I have and it's very easy to clean. Just make sure you buy extra disposable colon tubes:

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: June 20, 2006 06:30AM

hah..!?.....
now i have to different opinions...
i need in that case one or few more...
to get a full spectrum .....??....

LOVE, Basia

Date: June 20, 2006 06:29PM

oh yes, davidzenmason - how to they....'suck out' the things...from us....i mean, what kind of 'machine'(?!) do they use...just curious....
LOVE, Basia

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 20, 2006 06:48PM

I am for them and I believe the gravity colonic is best as it's more gentle.

I had a series of them done and I plan on going back to do another series and then after that doing them as I feel is needed.

Love,
Prism

Date: June 20, 2006 10:43PM

Well:

-The professional machine is just a water pump and warmer.......along with tubing and a plastic insert. Alternate warm & cool water are pumped in....your abdomen is massaged (by yourself or the hydrotherapist) and then the machine is reversed and the water and materials are lightly suctioned out.

-The machine I was on had the clear / lighted tubes so the HydroTherapist could see all the expelled materials. She said I was her cleanest client! LOL.

-David Mason

Date: June 20, 2006 11:00PM

weeeeell....thank U very much again guys! now i have to research around ...re.who's doing them..etc...in my area...
LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Posted by: teapata ()
Date: December 06, 2006 12:37AM

i ordered an enema bucket through one of the companies on the list that the Gerson institute gives and it was only 7 bucks. much cheaper than the one on the website above

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: December 06, 2006 02:44AM

Of course, besides the for arguments, there are also against:
[www.rawschool.com]. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 06, 2006 06:29AM

Matt Monarch wrote a RAW book recently and he goes on about colonics and how addicted he is to them. He was friends with Fred Bischi

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 06, 2006 01:59PM

I think they are a useful tool to help cleanse so you can begin a healtier way of life. I don't think having them excessively is a good idea.
I agree with David Mason's comments that they are not a good maintnance system for someone living an unhealthy lifestyle, like many things I believe they can be harmful when used in excess.

Posted by: MissSunshine ()
Date: December 07, 2006 06:01AM

I think they're really useful if you're on a cleanse, or in an intense detox period. I think just randomly getting them isn't particularly useful, because you're just getting out yesterdays dinner. Light fasting beforehand would probably be better.

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: December 07, 2006 05:02PM

I have found they make me feel better faster though I suggest looking for the right person/place to go to. I had a horrid experience once with a hydrotherapist who scolked me the whole time and that turned me off to raw foodists. A year later after I had moved to Seattle I went to the Tummy Temple ( www.tummytemple.com )
and found myself surrounded by loving therapists who really helped me clean safely.
warning it can be very emotional.
signed the Hubby of alice ne nub.

Posted by: FirstGarden ()
Date: December 07, 2006 05:02PM

Hi all - Yes, opinions will ever vary. According to Harvey Diamond (Natural Hygienist - Fit For Life), NW Walker died at 110 years of age, saying "Success leaves clues!" Paul Bragg did not believe in enemas, but I think most of the health giants were for it. Was it Herbert Sheldon (Fasting Can Save Your Life) who said "There is no disease but lack of drainage?" I'll try to get the exact quote.

Enemas are better than nothing. Colonic irrigations are far superior. Barring serious disease, I believe that younger people need not worry too much. But anyone 30-40 years or older, you have decades of accumulation going on in you, plus, in severe cases, the potential for "leaky gut syndrome," candida yeast overgrowth and autointoxication. It is said that the average autopsy reveals something like 5-15 pounds of this sewage in people. Sorry, I know this can get a bit gross for some. I have never had a colonic irrigation, but it is definitely on my longterm agenda. They are costly, but are probably worth it. Most health insurance would never cover it, unless prescribed by a doctor for some emergency reason. Hell, my doctor never even heard of it.

It would be good to get some testimonies here from people who have had multiple colonic irrigations.

Each breath that we breathe
With love we must weave
To make us as one
You know it makes me want to cry, cry, cry -

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 08, 2006 01:27AM

Do like Bryan says, a head of lettuce plus 10-15 pieces of fruit per day. Your colon will be clean and beautiful. Like the rest of you.

Date: December 10, 2006 11:00PM

Sorry, but Bryan hasn't been alive on this planet long enough to make such a claim. Also, he's not a nutritionist nor doctor so how would he know? He can only speculate.

Marcos

Date: December 12, 2006 12:42AM

I agree with Bryan. My body does not signal to me that it is interested in colonics and I take the point. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: December 12, 2006 02:03AM

My extensive readings, which both Bryan and Gosia reject without a priori, have provided ample credible evidence that this is so. I strongly suspect that they happen to be right on this point, as well as many others.

But things are not so simple as: eat lots of fruit and some greens. There is much more to it than that. I personally love to learn the minutiae and share.

If you are interested in the whys of how very high fiber f+v diets are so very good for the colon, I will be happy to accomodate!

Date: December 12, 2006 05:33AM

I am interested!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: December 12, 2006 09:11AM

The few trials examining higher fiber diets tend not to show expected benefits, but the amounts used are far below those of certain tribes in tropical Africa (130 g/day) and those assumed in the earlier course of human history.

A study examining the impact of very high fiber from fruits and vegetables similar to an expected diet in the Miocene era before the divergence from great apes, compared to a traditional starch-based diet (coinciding with the Neolithic agricultural era and grain use) and the American Heart Association therapeutic diet was performed. Only the very high fruit-vegetable-nut fiber diet resulted in very dramatic improvements in plasma lipids. The very high fiber diet also increased fecal bulk and bile acid losses. The results were equivalent to that of a statin and are not normally achieved through diet alone.

A fraction of dietary soluble fiber intake is transformed into short-chain fatty acids (SFCA) by bacterial fermentation, mostly acetic, proprionic and butyric acids. These fatty acids are neutralized by potassium and sodium ions in food and form a soapy solution that may rinse out the intestines, keep the circulatory system clean, and help to emulsifiy dietary fat.

Some researchers suspect that ulcerative colitis in humans is due to a lack of energy normally provided by SCFA for colonic mucosal repair. The fiber-derived SCFA, butyrate, is a preferred energy substrate for colonic mucosal cells and may have anticancer properties (Roediger 1982, Weaver et al. 1988). Ulceerative colitis figures occurs in captive great apes consuming relatively low fiber diets (Scott and Kemer 1975).

High fiber diets also improve colonic health by increasing fecal bulk and water-holding capacity, shortening transit time and decreasing concentrations of toxic substances including bile acids (McKeigue et al. 1989) and free ammonia (Visek 1978).

Analysis of data from 10 prospective cohort studies from the United States and Europe revealed that each 10-g/d increment of energy-adjusted total dietary fiber was associated with a 14% decrease in risk of all coronary events and a 27% decrease in risk of coronary death.

Research into different species has verified the negative correlation between longevity and the level of reactive oxygen species (ROS) production. ROS creates oxidative damage, fueling the aging process. Recent findings have shown an increase in uncoupling protein (UCP) activity with lower ROS levels, after stress from calorie-restricted diets. These UCPs are stimulated by fatty acids. In many studies, fatty acids generate reduction in ROS generation. Decreased ROS production seen in both calorie restriction and longer lifespan may occur through up-regulation of free fatty acid stimulation of UCP activity. Free fatty acids play an important regulatory role in longevity because they reduce ROS through actions on UCPs.

refs:

Journal of Nutrition Vol. 127 No. 10 October 1997, pp. 2000-2005
The Western Lowland Gorilla Diet Has Implications for the Health of Humans and Other Hominoids
David G. Popovich, David J. A. Jenkins, 3, Cyril W. C. Kendall, et al.,
[jn.nutrition.org]

Pereira MA, O'Reilly E, Augustsson K, Fraser GE, Goldbourt U, Heitmann BL, Hallmans G, Knekt P, Liu S, Pietinen P, Spiegelman D, Stevens J, Virtamo J, Willett WC, Ascherio A., Dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of cohort studies, Arch Intern Med. 2004 Feb 23;164(4):370-6, PMID: 14980987

Dehmelt, H., What is the Optimal Diet of Man the Primate Homo Sapiens? [faculty.washington.edu]

Kua CH., Uncoupling the relationship between fatty acids and longevity., UBMB Life. 2006 Mar;58(3):153-5. PMID: 16766382

Jenkins DJ, Kendall CW, Popovich DG, Vidgen E, Mehling CC, Vuksan V, Ransom TP, Rao AV, Rosenberg-Zand R, Tariq N, Corey P, Jones PJ, Raeini M, Story JA, Furumoto EJ, Illingworth DR, Pappu AS, Connelly PW, Effect of a very-high-fiber vegetable, fruit, and nut diet on serum lipids and colonic function., Metabolism. 2001 Apr;50(4):494-503.PMID: 11288049 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Date: December 12, 2006 10:31PM

Interesting review! I am curious about the following:

"These fatty acids are neutralized by potassium and sodium ions in food and form a soapy solution that may rinse out the intestines, keep the circulatory system clean, and help to emulsifiy dietary fat."

Which particular ref does this come from? Thanks!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: bodybyblis ()
Date: December 15, 2006 04:32PM

I would recommend, after ten years of personal and professional cleansing, colonics or enemas for certain. You must, however, replenish your intestinal flora, so please make certain you take a strong probiotic.

Best,

Anne Kaspar
BodyByBliss.com
bodybybliss@gmail.com

Date: December 21, 2006 12:00AM

Gosia, it's from Hans Dehmelt's optimal primate diet paper. He provides these refs:

Topping, D. L. & Clifton, M. P. (2001) Short-Chain Fatty Acids and
Human Colonic Function Physiological Reviews 81, 1031-1064

free full text for Topping and Clifton online, very technical
[physrev.physiology.org]

Milton, K & Dintzis, F. (1981) Biotropica 13, 177-181, online but not free

H. Ti Tien and Angelica L. Ottova (2001) The lipid bilayer concept and its
experimental realization: from soap bubbles, kitchen sink, to bilayer lipid
membranes Journal of Membrane Science 189, 83-117, online but not free

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables