Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hubby wants to get healthier
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 15, 2008 03:51AM

what should i do for him? he`s a big guy...6`4 220 lbs. i call him a SAD er...but not as bad as he could be. he doesn`t eat hardly any fast food anymore and he has a smoothie that i make for him every morning. he doesn`t eat many greens except the kale i blend along with a green powder and some fruit. he`s trying to expand and grow and become healthier. he`s not a good faster...he just isn`t ready for that yet but he wants to do a couple weeks of just fresh juices and vegees. with him not eating a big variety of vegees do you have any suggestions to help him branch out? i`m at a loss.
patty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hubby wants to get healthier
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 15, 2008 11:49AM

how about if he just starts eating raw with your guidance? take it slowly and gradually increase raw foods. sounds like both of you are already doing this to me. the only other suggestion i have is maybe preparing gourmet raw for him to begin as a transition may help -- and also to get creative with yummy juice and green smoothies. lots of filling foods like bananas etc. this worked for a friend of mine who almost exactly meets your husband's proportions. he eats less than me now and i'm 5'2/125. lol. best wishes...you're blessed he would like to get healthier. that's great in and of itself - the rest will surely fall into place.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 15, 2008 02:26PM

let him know that

- he never has to eat anything that doesn't taste good, especially veggies
- go for quality produce
- he does not need to restrict the amount that he eats
- that it's best for digestion to keep it simple
- if necessary, show him the many raw snacks that are available to help with the transition

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: July 15, 2008 03:36PM

My daughter suddenly likes foods that she didn't like before. It's weird how your tastes change once you go raw. She hated pineapples and mangoes before and now they are among her favorite foods.

I kept serving my daughter small amounts of the foods she supposedly didn't like and eventually she acquired a big appetite for them. She walks around munching on sprigs of Italian parsley. She absolutely loves jicama these days. And she never eats salad that doesn't have cilantro in it. She used to hate cilantro. This week, she discovered English cucumbers. She ate one by herself in one sitting.

Maybe your husband will acquire a taste for some of the things he thinks he doesn't like.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: July 15, 2008 04:45PM

I am glad to hear that he wants to be healthier. Fresh fruit salad and vegetable salads. Use spices that he can tolerate to add flavor and make it look and smell good and appetizing... he may start enjoying them and then you will not have to use spices after. I know a teenager who did just that. he would use a lot of spices, then he reduced teh spices and after his taste adjusted to raw, he didn't use any kind of spice.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 15, 2008 10:13PM

How about suggesting that he take the step to go vegan?

And then, low fat vegan...

All the while increasing his intake of fruits and veggies.... smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: July 15, 2008 10:28PM

Sparkler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about suggesting that he take the step to go
> vegan?
>
> And then, low fat vegan...
>
> All the while increasing his intake of fruits and
> veggies.... smiling smiley

there`s no way he would go vegan......yet

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 15, 2008 10:34PM

vegetarian?

If not, then just - try to keep cutting out processed foods (doesn't sound like he eats that much though) and stay low fat.

Actually, instead of cutting stuff out, I would suggest that he keep increasing the amount of fresh fruit and veggies in his diet. As he does that, he will hopefully naturally want the other stuff less and less. :-)

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2008 10:35PM by Sparkler.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 16, 2008 12:26AM

compliment him for each and every progressive step that he makes

men don't seem to admit it but in my observation they love compliments LOL smiling smiley

this will make them do more so that they can please you

Posted by: AshleyMartin ()
Date: August 27, 2008 11:32PM

Hi Patty,

Don't worry much about it........

You will find so many advices to reduce weight but in my point of view the best is go for “Organic Food” which will not only reduce his weight but also make him healthier.

From the below link you will come to know the importance of organic food:

[www.organicauthority.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 01, 2008 12:43PM

The above suggestions are great! YOUR duty is to be deleriously happy....and at peace. Then he will WANT to do what you are doing. Make lots of extra....and don't even make an issue of diet. Answer quiet questions one-on-one. Prepare wonderful meals and just drool over them yourself....and give him some freely if he ASKS for it. Otherwise, just make, prepare or share the meal time...and what your loved ones are eating...without actually eating their crap! winking smiley It's a social barrier that some raw food people NEVER quite figure out how to erect. Heh...heh. You can BE with the sinners without sinning. Heh..heh. (Just some religious terminology).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: September 01, 2008 03:01PM

excellent advice david and i`m happy do say i do that!! except make enough LOL, i usually only make my portions although i do make hi his smoothie in the morning. there are never issues over diet except lately my 9 year old daughter is refusing the M*&T word. she never was a huge carnivore but now she`s flat out refusing it which i`m completely ok with except for the fact that she`s not much of a variety fruit eater either....and broccoli and corn and taters and asparagus are about the only vegees she touches. i`m a little worried about that. i`m great with hanging out with sinners LOL

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: September 02, 2008 11:06PM

Dips are nice for veggies: raw hummus, baba ganoush, guacamole, salsa, mango chutney, and they aren't too complicated to make. They're also nice spread over a lettuce leaf, and then wrapped up with veggies inside--like pita wraps, but raw. >8)

Cauliflower "popcorn," with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt (and a crack of black pepper?), is great, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables