Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Purslane (very high in omega 3!) and other wild greens.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2008 07:19PM

Have you had some of this as salad? my my, is it ever wonderful! i remember munching on it in the fields as a child when my mom was married to The Drunken Farmer (as i think of him). yesterday i was helping a friend weed her front yard and pointing out all the edibles, lambsquarter, dandelion, clover, sorrel. she handed me a bunch of purslane which i had quite forgotten about, i gobbled it up. front yard salad, who knew?

here is the wiki link [en.wikipedia.org]
read what it says about essential fatty acids, very interesting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2008 07:19PM by coco.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Purslane (very high in omega 3!) and other wild greens.
Posted by: flash ()
Date: July 15, 2008 09:30PM

OMG! I have thrown out bushels of this "weed" from my yard. Well, no more. I've recently been trying to find information on edible plants that grow wild here in the Sonoran desert and here I find out about one that is right outside my back door. Amazing!

flash

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 15, 2008 09:35PM

LOL : i guess u won't be chucking those emerald goodies out anymore flash

hey coco

this is SOOOO AWESOME !!!!!!!

thanx for this great piece of information

omega EFA are good smiling smiley

nice tongue sticking out smiley

Date: July 15, 2008 11:06PM

We grow it on our windowsill... very tasty!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 15, 2008 11:10PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have been trying to learn more about wild edibles. I am pretty sure I have seen this around me. I will research it more to make sure I have it right. What does it taste like?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 15, 2008 11:20PM

Yeah, it's fat content is high in omega3, but it's so low in fat that it doesn't make much of a difference. It's not one of those greens you can eat by the gallon being high in oxalates and likely to upset the tummy in Lettuces are, however. I do eat lettuce by the gallon (well, nearly, at 12-14 cups in a sitting).

Eat it, but sparingly compared to your milder greens.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 16, 2008 12:14AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I do eat lettuce by the gallon (well,
> nearly, at 12-14 cups in a sitting).

are you serious?? my gosh, i ate 3 cups of arugula in my salad yesterday and thought i was gonna burst!
patty

Date: July 16, 2008 12:32AM

ha ha, tastes mildly lemony and very fresh. i do find that i eat it in moderation, it's one of those 'nibbly' weeds. it's very easy to love it's tender little leaves, i find myself overfond of this one...

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 16, 2008 12:35AM

There's some in my garden. I want it to mature a little more before I attempt eating it.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 16, 2008 02:35AM

coco--
Yes, purslane grows all over practically every inch of our public organic garden space! I was so happy when I found out from a fellow gardener. I'm the only one interested in it-- all the other gardeners consider it 'just a weed'-- so when I go to weed the garden I separate out all the purslane and take bags of it home. It's great stuff! And there's something deeply satisfying about weeding, too.

We're going camping in about 1-1/2 weeks, and I'm hoping I can find purslane or other edible greens on the island we'll be camping out on for 2 weeks.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 16, 2008 03:21AM

Patty, arugula is a crucifer, and it is very bitter. I can see how you would feel like bursting after 3 cups, I don't think I've ever tried to eat more than a cup at a time. But lettuces are mild and you can really eat a bunch of lettuce. Try 12 cups of romaine (hearts) or iceberg with very little fat, you will be surprised how easily it goes down and how much of it goes down easily.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 16, 2008 03:58AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Patty, arugula is a crucifer, and it is very
> bitter. I can see how you would feel like bursting
> after 3 cups, I don't think I've ever tried to eat
> more than a cup at a time. But lettuces are mild
> and you can really eat a bunch of lettuce. Try 12
> cups of romaine (hearts) or iceberg with very
> little fat, you will be surprised how easily it
> goes down and how much of it goes down easily.

i will try that...i don`t really notice intense btterness with it...maybe the lemon i use for a "dressing"?
patty

Date: July 16, 2008 06:03PM

i carried a sprig of it around for a couple of days until i found someone who knews it's proper name (at the library, of course!) and today the librarian offered to pick me a whole bunch of it that's growing on her land! darn i love small town livin'. the librarian gets such a kick out of me wanting to take a plant that's "just a weed" off of her hands too. ha.

arugula i love in salad but i couldn't eat it excessively. it is pretty strong i think. i couldn't eat parsley like that either though and i love that with other greens as well. salad of any kind i can eat by the bucketful, it satisfies without making me feel full so i really could overeat it if i wanted too.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: July 17, 2008 12:33AM

This stuff grows rampantly at an organic farm that I go to for my produce. I get to pick it and dandelion for free. I'll be going tomorrow to load up for the next few days.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: July 17, 2008 01:42AM

YUM! Last year purslane was all over in my garden and yard and I had such a lovely time "weeding" and munching. I noticed that my fingernails and teeth turned extra while when I was eating the purslane. Does anyone know why that would be?

This year, no purslane has come up. I was really sad about it. I think I ate too much of it and it wasn't able to create any new plants. :-P

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables