Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I just ate some worms...
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 16, 2008 06:30PM

Okay, so

I foraged my usual bounty of lovely wild berries. Except, after giving them a good rinse, I noticed a little green wormy guy wriggling around--very tiny. I got him out of my food and let him go, but then I noticed there were these other tiny little green things in some of the berries... I can't tell if they're part of the seeds, or tiny little curled up worms, and it made me really paranoid. angry smiley (The berries are very small.)

If they're worms, that's cool (like, there will be no real consequence for eating them)--but my concern is, PARASITES?! >.< Is there something I can wash the berries in, like a hydrogen peroxide solution (dilution instructions, please), that would make them safe to eat?

I DON'T want to get rid of the berries. I love them... but I don't want to be eating parasites. =\ I've eaten tons of these berries before, so... if they are parasites, I've probably eaten some already... I have some strong and ill-tasting herbs I can always take to remedy the situation... If they're just worms, extra protein, I guess...

I don't know, thoughts, please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I just ate some worms...
Date: July 16, 2008 06:43PM

I usually soak my berries for ten minutes or so in cold water (particularly mulberries and blackberries), drain and rinse and soak again... all kinds of little critters are in the bottom of the bowl when I have finished. Not sure if that helps at all!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 16, 2008 08:22PM

David Wolfe eats Ants that sometime get into his Honey. I (not on
purpose) eat small Snails found in my Sea Vegetables. By the way,
Seaweed is rich in all eight Glyconutrients......WY

Date: July 16, 2008 08:53PM

I will try the cold water, thanks! (I put the berries back in the fridge until further notice. tongue sticking out smiley) It was probably just the berries from one particular bush... but since they are so tiny, it would be very irritating to inspect every one while gathering, and would take the fun away. =S

Mmmm... must be why seaweed tastes so good. =)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 16, 2008 09:49PM

geeeeez.

just sprinkle a little spice onto yer parasites
and bon appetit !

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 16, 2008 10:25PM

I found a snail in my raspberries two years ago and I was so upset. I didn't even know what to do with it since I didn't have a berry patch in my backyard at the time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 17, 2008 12:41AM

So if the worms want the fruit they are parasites? What are you for wanting the fruit?

I say don't worry about it. Consider them lil' b12 suppliments. grinning smiley

Date: July 17, 2008 02:14AM

I was just concerned they may BE parasites... I didn't say they were, just wanted to know how probable the situation might be? Parasites are these ephemeral terrors you start hearing lots about when you delve into the internet realms of alternative GI health... I guess I had THE FEAR. tongue sticking out smiley

I did think about the B12.

Anyway, I'll give them a good cleaning, if the container isn't totally wriggling by the morning. =\

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 17, 2008 02:30AM

Cool, but my friend has one uped you she eats spiders all the time

Posted by: leafeater ()
Date: July 17, 2008 03:31AM

let's say they were the worms that kids get (and dogs), eating a ton of carrots get rid of them...so if you want to be sure you could try this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables