Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help me go RAW? for those already into raw fitness!
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 18, 2008 04:38PM

Hey, how's it going? I'm 17, just recently, and I've been a vegan for about a year and a half and vegetarian before that. I am reeeally wanting to take it up a notch and go RAW one hundred percent! Buuuut..I'm at a lack of information on more of the active Raw foodists (have you SEEN dr. doug graham? he's got crazy muscles of steel). I really want to be at a high fitness peak, because I love muscles..how you get them, how they look, etc. I'm so concerned about loosing muscle that I've gained if I start a detox, or don't get enough food or eat too much fat (which is also confusing, because there seems to be so much salt and fat in the raw gourmet recipes(Juliano's Raw uncook book- but he's also slim) I'm not completely thrilled about only drinking raw smoothies, or the 80/10/10 diet, mostly because I was at a loss on that too. I tried only the fruit thing, but I constantly felt tired and angry - this is because I didn't get enough greens or enough fruit a day. I also am unsure about fasting and detoxing-I'm thinking there could be a different approach. It would be FANTASTIC to hear from some fitness trainers or some buff raw food people out there who have experience or stories to share about how they transitioned from cooked to uncooked. I think it would really help me to switch, and really bring down my frantic anxiety levels that i get sometimes.
HEY I'm really lookin for that little body fat percentage- i love that slim muscle look - and no doubt it probably feels better then it looks.

A little history on what I'm doing for workout. Anyone heard of beachbody? I have TurboJam and I do two of those videos a day - one cardio and one weight-related. Though it's sometimes three videos - one cardio and two weight-related - depending on which cardio i do. I'm all about a schedule, what can i say? So over all its about 1-2 and a half hours a week (depending on the week), 6 days a week and one day of rest. I just feel laggy when I'm not working out (a main reason I avoid those detox talks) and also annoyed and..just horrible. I love getting that burst of energy and love knowing what it's doing for me. Now if i could only get the balance of RAW food and exercise...wow, I'd be unSTOPABLE

so help me out, I'll love you forever

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help me go RAW? for those already into raw fitness!
Date: July 18, 2008 06:20PM

Personally I think you need to take several steps back and figure out if you really want to go through this....all the "muscles" stuff just doesn't come like that and yes, if you do it right you will lose what you had before, you have a breaking down and re-building process to go through first and the detox can get pretty traumatic at the best of times and that's just the "diet" transitioning the fitness is another story and needs to be customized to your specific needs as you go.

When you went all fruit you were in the initial stages of detox....start slow, pick your pace, going cold tutrkey may not be for you and you may need to take it real slow with heavier produce....either way, going all fruit just like that is not something I recommend unless your drawn to do it because that means it's what your body wants and not just you making that decision because you see someone else doing it.

Don't get into this because of the "muscles" going raw is a life transforming decision and should not be messed with or taken lightly, especially at your age because once you set the wheels in motion you will need much support, more support than you will get from any forum. Do this for yourself and how it makes you feel, do it for the health benefits and not because you seen Doug grahams muscles of steel.

I say do more research, read, read and read because all of this takes a lot of work, all the questions your asking have already been answered in previous posts here, so like I say, spend some time reading on this forum or doug grahams forum, then when you've done that and you know your serious about this then look into getting some consultation with D. Graham.

F1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2008 06:26PM by fruitarianfitness.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: July 18, 2008 07:14PM

Hello iLIVE,

I'm familiar with beachbody. I do Turbo Jam about 6 times per week. Excellent workouts except for Turbo Sculpt. I didn't find that workout very effective at all.

I've been raw for one year. I love the combination of raw and fitness. I'm looking leaner and with more definition. Most of all, my fitness level has increased.

I wish you the best in your journey.

Date: July 19, 2008 01:40PM

aw, that's not what I ment. It may have come off like that, but I do care about my health and how I feel, that's why I am holding off and doing a lot of reading. That's why I posted in this forum, to see if anyone had any advice for what they went through and what exactly I am looking for in the Raw diet. I do want to switch to it for the feel, not for the look only. But I also don't want to gain a heapage of body fat if i approach it the wrong way,because it takes a lot to get somewhere in fitness and seeing muscle go away is sad. But don't take it the wrong way, the main reason I want to go raw is for the peace of mind in myself and the outer world; i mean I didn't go vegan for the looks, I did it for the animals mostly and found it was much healthier, despite criticism against it. So raw is no different for me- I'm changing my diet to feel better, hence, i don't want to feel worse if i can't achieve the goals that I want to. Doug graham is just a huge inspiration, that's all, and i'm just wondering how he does it all. I just like to add a little spice to my context.

So i'll take a look at those forums a little more, thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 19, 2008 01:54PM

hey iLive

in my opinion, it is so much easier to get fit when you are raw then cooked

you feel unimpeded

when you work out, you feel as if everything is more "clear"

you get toned real easily

when you move, you move with more fluidity and ease and i believe that correct and natural body movement brings about good tone

there is no reason why you can't have peace of mind, happiness and a fit body simultaneously

i would say to look at it as a great adventure

drinking lots of yummy green juices ( or not so yummy LOL) will give you energy reserves

especially when you are detoxing and feeling tired

its good to boost up with rich high chlorophyll juices that will give your body the vitamins, minerals etc. that you need while chelating the stuff you don't need
( like heavy metals etc.)

as far as the fitness goes, its a good idea to choose something that you really love and can get excited about

and a variety might help as well

have you ever thought about gymnastics? or dance? or yoga?

if you fall in love with just ONE great regimen, it will do wonders for all areas of your life

Date: July 19, 2008 02:17PM

iLIVE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> aw, that's not what I ment. It may have come off
> like that, but I do care about my health and how I
> feel, that's why I am holding off and doing a lot
> of reading. That's why I posted in this forum, to
> see if anyone had any advice for what they went
> through and what exactly I am looking for in the
> Raw diet. I do want to switch to it for the feel,
> not for the look only. But I also don't want to
> gain a heapage of body fat if i approach it the
> wrong way,because it takes a lot to get somewhere
> in fitness and seeing muscle go away is sad. But
> don't take it the wrong way, the main reason I
> want to go raw is for the peace of mind in myself
> and the outer world; i mean I didn't go vegan for
> the looks, I did it for the animals mostly and
> found it was much healthier, despite criticism
> against it. So raw is no different for me- I'm
> changing my diet to feel better, hence, i don't
> want to feel worse if i can't achieve the goals
> that I want to. Doug graham is just a huge
> inspiration, that's all, and i'm just wondering
> how he does it all. I just like to add a little
> spice to my context.
>
> So i'll take a look at those forums a little more,
> thanks smiling smiley

Good for you....Yes there's bucket loads of info here on this very subject....well fitness on raw is no different than it is on cooked, exercise is exercise and the fact of the matter is that you get out what you put in...there's no special way to exercise for raw foodists, to me fitness is vital for anybody going raw.

As for going raw now that's a different story, you have to decide your approach and feel what works for you, or you could just be a "follower" and follow what everyone else is doing wrong, either way you need to figure out your approach before you step forward on this path.

If Doug Graham resonates with you then look into getting consultations with him....there's a lot of conflicting info out there and you can avoid all of that by getting consultations from an experienced coach.

Well congrats on taking these first steps and I wish you all the best.

F1

Date: July 19, 2008 02:55PM

thanks very much, you certainly give me more hope of getting to being all raw
i also wish you the best

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 19, 2008 05:09PM

The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier is a good read. He is an international, gold medal winning, iron man triathlete. not everything in his book is raw but it is still very interesting and there is some great information there

Date: July 19, 2008 06:34PM

iLIVE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks very much, you certainly give me more hope
> of getting to being all raw
> i also wish you the best

Your welcome....I didn't do much but just make sure you know EXACTLY what your getting into with this!

Be good

F1

Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: July 20, 2008 01:33AM

You may enjoy my website. I follow the 80/10/10 diet, and I explain many of the issues here. I'm also into fitness, and currently training for a marathon.

www.raw-food-health.net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2008 01:34AM by RusticBohemian.

Date: July 20, 2008 03:05PM

thanks! i'll take a look at it.

Date: July 20, 2008 03:05PM

Thankyou I'll also take a look at your website.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 20, 2008 03:16PM

rustic bohemian

have a berry BERRY! good time with the marathon

Date: July 20, 2008 03:51PM

Haha, and I reply again...WOW that is a good website! I really enjoyed reading each different passage and it's definitely clearing my thoughts and jazzing up the motivation. Good luck on your marathon; I hope you keep it updated, because I'm going to favorite this link smiling smiley smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables