Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

70 year old Grandmother going RAW
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 18, 2008 07:43PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm so excited, my grandmother is going to try to go 100%. She has some medical issues going on and nothing has helped her after about 15 years of suffering. She's to the point where she will try anything. So, does anyone have advise or tips for me? I've been about 75% or 7 months, so I'm no expert, but want to help her so bad! Any advice, is greatly appreciated.

Her main downfall is her sweet tooth, chocolate and chips. We don't have a dehydrator, but we do have a juicer and blender.

You guys are so awesome!

Lizard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 70 year old Grandmother going RAW
Date: July 18, 2008 07:46PM

Great stuff.....If she has a sweet tooth she'll love fruits riht?

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2008 07:47PM by fruitarianfitness.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: July 18, 2008 08:33PM

Smoothies should help with the sweet tooth.

That is awesome. I wish my mother, age 70, would try raw food. She never sticks to anything long enough to see the results. She bought a Vita Mix and a juicer and probably used them for two weeks. Now she drinks those cans of Ensure and thinks she's eating healthy. LOL

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 18, 2008 08:47PM

Start by finding out what HER goals are. Does she even WANT to increase her intake of fresh fruits and vegetables? It's never too late to start - but the goals HAVE to come from the individual. In the mean time, make her some wonderful recipes every night for a week!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: July 18, 2008 09:01PM

Honestly, she tries to eat healthy but a goal of eating fruits and veggies, isnt really it. Its more of her trying to rid herself of constant yeast infections, and "burning". She's dealt with this forever and antiboitics have stopped working for her. She really just desperate. I've read that raw can cure anything. I've been having her more raw and steamed veggies and she likes it. I'm just afraid that at 70 maybe 100% raw would be a shock to her system since she's eaten SAD all of her life. I;m not a doctor and don't want her to suffer.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: July 18, 2008 09:50PM

Lizard, Thats awesome. I guess fresh fruits is the best thig for sweet tooth... But please be careful, it is very cleansing. So she may have to do it real slow, gradually raise the % of fruit. All fruit for even a few days can create a severe cleansing reaction. I had everything you can imagine - severa colds - like I thought I was going to suffocate, serious cough, rashes that literally baked and burmed my armpits, and I can go on. Cleansing is serious stuff. So thats my suggestion. Start slow and gadually raise % of fruit.

Hope this helpssmiling smiley

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: July 19, 2008 12:55AM

How very forward-thinking of your grandmother! Please give her a huge hug from me for even considering a raw diet. It's not an easy thing to change one's diet and at that age I can only imagine it would be even more difficult (not because of the food, but because of our history of being taught to eat cooked foods).

I agree that smoothies may be a great introduction for raw, as well as puddings and pies. Depending on how good her digestion is, you might want to go slow with the veggies and greens. As people get older on the SAD diet, they tend to have a difficult time digesting greens and veggies.

If she loves sweets, then maybe make some raw desserts for her every day for a few weeks and see how she feels!

Again, huge hugs to your grandmother. Also, lots and lots of love to you for being so caring and showing her a new way of looking at food!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Date: July 19, 2008 02:27AM

Thank you all so much for your posts. Boy, this is such a wonderful and loving place. It just makes me smile so big. Thank you all for caring about her. I'm so scarred for her, becaues she's older and older people are bit more fragile and I don't want to cause her any harm. I just can't stand to see her suffer anymore and I just know that raw food can help her, I know they can. There so much junk out there, and chemical no wonder she has medical problems.

Thats a great idea about the desserts! She loves dessert more than anything. And thanks for the tips about the greens and maybe not digesting them too well, I hadn't thought of that. So true. Wonderful, thank you thank you thank you!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 19, 2008 03:30AM

holy wow, that is wicked cool right there!
for sweets try a date, medjool are the best i think. take out the pit and stuff it with your favourite nut for a super extra plus decadent treat. num!
if all else fails i used to chew up the forbidden food [usually chocolate] and just spit it out. kinda like smoking without the inhale. it really works, i promise.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 19, 2008 02:14PM

Just to inspire: RAW really helped my yeast infections. I was better right away. Combined with oil pulling I have been candida symptom free for almost three months!!! Antibiotics are one of the worst things she can do to her body right now. There are a lot of things she can do to help heal like taking probiotics. Good Luck!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 20, 2008 06:28PM

Wow.
I think thats great!
I wish her well.
My grandmother is 81,eats totally SAD,and is out everyday doing things.
I wonder what she would be doing on raw....probably climbing mountains!
Brian

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 22, 2008 10:10AM

It's okay to try to help others. But don't be disappointed
when they can't do it. I'm still working on my 88 year-old
Mother. She, in turn, works on me. The Main person to help is Self....WY

Date: July 22, 2008 12:35PM

Thank you Wheatgrass Yogi. Yes, you are so right. I've realized that. I try so hard to help her, but sometimes I feel like it just enables her more. She doesn't listen, I woke up Saturday to the sound of her eating cereal. It is disappointing, but she's happy that way, just suffers terribly physically for it, but its her life and her choices. I'm here to help if she wants, but she has to want to do it herself too. I cannot force her. And I have alot of things that I need to work on, so maybe I need to fix myself first. Thank you, I needed to hear that, sometimes I think I'm selfish by working on my Self.

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 22, 2008 03:41PM

I suffered for years with yeast infections and I too had a very bad 'sweet tooth' the sweets (even too much fruit) only feeds the bad bacteria. Look up candida online and read to her the sysptoms, they have a list of them. She no doubt suffers from candida that has gone systemic as I did. there is only one real cure, get off the carbs and sweet stuff. I can eat all the fruit I want now, but it took 4 years of trial and error in order to figure out what to do. I still cannot eat ANYTHING with yeast in it (breads, beer, wine ect) or sugar of any kind. Stevia is the only sweetner I can use, and i NEVER juice fruit...too much sugar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables