Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

falling short on calcium
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 19, 2008 07:02PM

according to fitday i`m falling short in calcium for a week of analysis. i get some from chia seeds. what other sources can i use besides almonds?
patty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: falling short on calcium
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 19, 2008 07:07PM

Greens!

Date: July 19, 2008 07:13PM

what types? i blend kale, cilantro and arugula already...any in particular high?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 19, 2008 08:42PM

dewey,

If you fall short for a week, this should not be a problem. I don't know how much raw foods you are eating right now, but if you are not eating the SAD foods that acidify your body and cause massive skeleton/bone depletion (ie animal products, grains), you shouldn't have to worry about getting extra calcium.

But for calcium, oranges, cabbage, leafy greens, sesame are good.

Date: July 19, 2008 09:11PM

i`m close to 100% daily....sometimes i will have a little coked whole wheat pasta but that`s probably only twice a month. once in a blue moon i`ll have a sprouted hemp bagel from whole foods. the dr`s told me years ago from a bone density test that i have osteopenia....something about my body lacking the ability to absorb calcium but that was with a conventional SAD doc and i was doing the SAD lifestyle then. haven`t had one done in a couple years. thanks for your suggestions
patty

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 19, 2008 10:08PM

Kale, collards, mustards are very high. Kale probably has easiest uptake. Broccoli also. Arugula, too.

Lettuces are good, too.

There is a lot of calcium in the goosefoots, too, (spinach, chard, beet greens) but you won't absorb as much of it as in the crucifers and lettuces.

Date: July 19, 2008 10:46PM

thank you smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 20, 2008 03:54AM

Ignore the RDA for calcium, there are so many factors that go into calcium that a simple meeting of the RDA does not insure bone health.

Scroll down to table 1, it shows the calcium intake by country, and relates it to mortality from falls in women over age 75b (per 10 000), Japan, with 354 mg a day of calcium consumption has the lowest mortality rate 2.9. France, Norway and Denmark , who consume about 1000 mg of calcium a day have the highest rates 24.6-29.0. Thats at least 8 times higher, they are meeting the RDA and have terrible bone health.

[www.fao.org]

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 20, 2008 07:12AM

Hi Dewey

Well it just so happens that my very latest blog article is all about calcium and the raw food diet.

You're probably worrying unnecessarily.

It's here:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Love, Debbie

Date: July 20, 2008 04:32PM

i absolutely LOVE your blog debbie. thank you and congrats on your bone density test! i am going to make your soup/salsa/dip LOL later on today
patty

Posted by: TigerDak ()
Date: July 21, 2008 03:21AM

First of all, don't go by FDA regulations. When they measured these years ago, they were using calcium carbonate as their source of calcium. Well guess what? Calcium carbonate is not the form of calcium that is found in plants. The calcium that is found in plants is in the only form that your body can really use. And plants cannot grow without calcium, as well as many other minerals. So all plants will have calcium. You just need to eat a lot of raw food if you are trying to replenish your body.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 21, 2008 06:45AM

Well, thank YOU, and I hope you enjoy the salsa.

I'm getting through a lot of mangos right now, as it's the 'summer' in UK (this Wednesday we have a 'high' forecast of 25 C - way-hay-hay!!!) (That's somewhere in the 70s F)

Posted by: Lollipop ()
Date: July 22, 2008 02:17PM

I seem to recall that carob powder and figs are also good calcium sources....

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 22, 2008 03:29PM

People worry about calcium mainly because of osteoporosis.Plenty of sunshine, (for vit.D which you need in order to absorb your calcium) fresh air, weight & bearing exercises are all important componants. Also, if you are not opposed to drinking raw milk or raw colostrum you might want to give that a try. My mother (65) had severe back spine issues with osteo..the raw milk/colostrum has helped her a great deal.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 22, 2008 03:52PM

I know I was severely deficient in calcium when I first began a raw lifestyle and I became obsessed with figs. I didn't really understand it until I read that figs were high in calcium. My body happily digested sometimes 40 figs a day! I feel like what Bryan wrote is so true, the veggie-sad diet I was on completely depleated me. I could tell when my body was deficient and I can tell now that it isn't any more.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 22, 2008 04:49PM

yogi - raw milk has a huge possibility of carrying the leukemia virus - which is killed by pasturization. Unless you have your own animal and it's been tested.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables