Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Starting Over
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 24, 2008 10:16PM

It's been a while since my last post (4 years). I slipped out of the lifestyle and entered into a karmic cycle of self destruction which include the intake of many tamasic(VERY BAD) foodstuffs, liquids, and a variety of chemicals. I just moved to San Diego from Palmdale on April 29. I stopped drinking et. al. on July 4. I am still going through some serious detoxing from that, mostly mental though. Although some part of my body tends to blow up every other day. I looked like Homer Simpson when my upper lip swelled up about five times it's size two days ago. Now I just don't feel like doing anything.

So I don't really know if I am looking for advice or support or just companionship. I am definitely considering the raw diet again. If the drugs and alcohol didn't kill me I really shouldn't be concerned about a new round of detox. How bad could it be? (Ha!)

Anyway, whether anyone responds to this post or not I will continue to check here periodically and let you know how my diet has been going. Maybe some other members posting their dailies could help. Perhaps we could help inspire one another.

I am also currently in my car but am not whining about it. I get dowm on my knees and kiss the ground here. I am in paradise. It's just somewhat difficult to eat healthy in this situation but I know it's not impossible. I have been buying produce at the 99cent store and using a stourfoam cooler but I know the quality of those fruits and vegs are wanting.

Sorry for the ramble. Any support could help more than you know!

Today's diet...

Three cups of cheap AA meeting coffee
A big bean, rice, and cheese burrito
A cup of Starbucks coffee
A triple scoop of Ice Cream from Rite Aid(helps with the alcohol wd's)

So there, I didn't say that I had started yet. I am just hoping for some motivation.

There was a lady who sold RE up in Petaluma/San Rafael area that I used to talk to often in 03/04. Do you remember me? Hope you are still raw and prosperous! I still recognize many names and am glad you are still here. Always loved this site.

Thanks, henry hopper

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starting Over
Date: July 24, 2008 10:19PM

Oh yeah, I also ate two Big Mac's because they are 2 for $3.50 in San Diego right now!

There, the truth shall.. well, you know!

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 24, 2008 10:22PM

Henry,
sounds like you want a lifestyle change not just a diet change. Good on ya!
For myself, eating raw foods made me feel...well....raw! Naked, emotionally vulnerable. I could not eat 'comfort foods' to run away from how I felt so I had to look at what I was REALLY feeling in any given moment when pizza and ice-cream would scream out to me. Health is a process my friend...emotional, spiritual, mental health. Give yourself time and permission to heal in all of these areas.
I'm pulling for ya!

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 24, 2008 10:43PM

i`m pullin for ya too henry smiling smiley we sometimes have to hit bottom to straighten our stuff out and it sounds as though you`ve done that and are moving up smiling smiley congrats on that. i watched a movie yesterday called food matters and one of the dr` said that bill the founder of aa tried to get them (aa) to incorporate heavy vit c supplementation to help with withdrawals and what not. i`m not positive about that though....give me some time to make sure it was vit c. anyways...welcome back. stay strong and remember this too shall pass. the more time you have under your belt sober the more the lackluster feeling will slip away and happiness and peace will set in. you need to really want it though. heal those demons that sent you drinking and drugging to begin with...confront them and blow them out of the water. let yourself feel
patty

Posted by: robbyd ()
Date: July 24, 2008 11:08PM

Hey Henry,
I'm dealing with the same alcohol craving as you, but I feel them less and less as I get healthier. Try some B vitamins or Magnesium suppliments to help curb your cravings. The magnesium works especially well.
I'm pulling for you man!
Robby

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 24, 2008 11:55PM

Its all about the small changes man. Not everyone can do everything right now. But ANYONE can do SOMETHING....ANYTIME.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 25, 2008 02:12AM

Henry, Welcome back. Wondered where you went off to. Seems like you went to your own personal hell. Glad you had to courage and desire to be better.

Best wishes for a healthy journey,
Therese

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 25, 2008 04:28AM

Wecome back Henry. That woman you mentioned might be Cecilia, who used to be a moderator on this forum. She now has the rawglow website.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 25, 2008 08:11AM

Hi Henry

u say that u can get 2 big macs for 3.50

i think that raw foods suits a budget

certain veggie items ( even the organic ones) are pretty cheap

i'm talking parsley, kale, spinach, celery, cilantro ( usually just a little over a dollar)

if u live in your car, then just buy one of the items and make it a mono meal all day

i'm impressed by your attitude of being grateful for what you DO have

and like david mason says .. you don't have to do it all at once

but you can do something any time

glad you are back

u should be proud of having the gumption to start over again

chin up

go get em!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 25, 2008 12:22PM

Hey -- welcome. Bananas are cheap and easy to store. Buy what's in season; hit a farmer's market. I lived in my car eight years ago (in February!) and it was one of my better memories. I def. couldn't get away from myself there!!! I would maybe stick with vegan burritos and other than that, do raw -- the burritos may help make the transition a little easier -- or just go full bore and hold on to your hat, because you may seriously detox! At any rate, good for you for being here and being honest with yourself. Good luck!

Date: July 26, 2008 08:23PM

I wasn't able to get online yesterday. Thank god for libraries.

Thanks for the tips and support, especially the magnesium. If I can't currently afford the vitamins, what food is high in mag/and or vitamin C. Yester day I had another Ice cream and bean rice cheese burrito day. But you will be proud of what I did last night. I bought 3 mangos, an avocado, a thai coconut, and a big jar of salad olives(not raw, I know). So I am off to a start. I did have a Wendy's Chili and Fries, though. I was extremely depressed about how hard it is to get a job(and I don't even stink!!!) This is probably the most difficult economic time I have ever seen (and I remember the last time Bush was Prez 20 years ago!).

About an hour ago my car wouldn't start. All of a sudden I began praying "Please God don't let my car break down!" over and over. I then remembered all of the good times I have had in it over the last two and a half months and I was no longer worried about getting work, just about being assed out on the street. I would be like on of those bums down on Imperial sleeping under a shopping cart and smoking crack.
Just kidding, I would never sleep under a shopping cart!

With love from paradise,
Henry!

Date: July 26, 2008 08:38PM

Henry,
I can really relate to you.
I have been in the hell of alcohol.
And I can guarantee eating raw foods will help you out of it.

Brian

Date: July 26, 2008 08:46PM

i'm going to do some research for you Henry on the magnesium foods. In the meantime I will join my prayers with yours.

Date: July 26, 2008 08:52PM

Here ia a list of foods high in mag. Not all raw but than again they are all better than big macs smiling smiley

Foods High in Magnesium Serving Size Magnesium (mg)
Beans, black 1 cup 120
Broccoli, raw 1 cup 22
Halibut 1/2 fillet 170
Nuts, peanuts 1 oz 64
Okra, frozen 1 cup 94
Oysters 3 oz 49
Plantain, raw 1 medium 66
Rockfish 1 fillet 51
Scallop 6 large 55
Seeds, pumpkin and squash 1 oz (142 seeds) 151
Soy milk 1 cup 47
Spinach, cooked 1 cup 157
Tofu 1/4 block 37
Whole grain cereal, ready-to-eat 3/4 cup 24
Whole grain cereal, cooked 1 cup 56
Whole wheat bread 1 slice 24

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 26, 2008 08:56PM

falling aff the wagon... is easy getting back on is courageous... and oh the things you will learn from your experiences... think of it this way the fruit and veg that you call wanting is probably less wanting then the big mac etc... you have great courage be gentle but firm with yourself... your body is calling out listen and love it for not giving up completely on you yet...
blessings on your journey...
love laugh and dream
g

Date: July 26, 2008 09:32PM

Henry, Congratulations in taking another conscious step towards your best you.

Keep going and keep us informed when you can.

Looks like we're all rooting for you.
Best wishes,
Therese

Date: July 26, 2008 09:41PM

Hey Henry, while you are at the library, see if they have the sunfood diet success system by David Wolfe, start at page 39 you may find it a good read!

Date: July 29, 2008 07:14PM

hchopper here

I am working a temporary job ($8hr-haven't worked for this little since I was 17) but at least I get to surf the internet all day and am not hauling giant boulders around at a construction site. I just ate a Subway Tuna sandwich but I have a cooler now and I am doing a lot better. Coming here sure helps. I am going to focus on the high mag foods. I stopped drinking 20 years ago (and didn't for 10 years). Then as now I crave Ice cream. I am constantly going to Rite Aid (Used to be Thrifty back then) and getting a triple cone of chocolate, chocolate chip, and mint and chip. It is only $1.99 and it really helps with the alcohol cravings/depression from the withdrawal. It has been 26 days without and people are telling me this is all in my head and I should have been over it weeks ago. I also had a prob with Oxy, Tar, and @#$%&, but I don't usually volunteer that info to anyone I may actually see face to face or a second time. I know that I am still feeling terrible and tired most of the time and don't feel like doing anything much (those who have done @#$%& can probably relate) (SOrry for the languaga but that is what it is called. I don't have the hutzpa to say the actual name becuase it sounds so horrible but the initials of this particular chem are CM) If any of you have beat that monster please any help will be appreciated. BLa BLa Rant Rant etc.
Thanks!!!

Date: July 29, 2008 07:53PM

TELL THEM TO PISS OFF!! LOL no don`t do that but it bugs the @#$%& outta me when peeps say get over it it`s all in your head when they don`t know what the hell they`re talking about with addiction! don`t let naysayers and peeps who want to bring you down or make your tasks appear to be nothing get to you and don`t believe them. congrats on the job! hey 8 bucks an hour will buy you fresh produce! put it in your gratitude journal smiling smiley addiction is hard no matter how you slice it. just stay strong and positive with like minded peeps in your sights and if you need to attend 8 meetings a day then do that...whatever it takes for better health and well being.i also don`t think you should volunteer to tell peeps you`re trying to stay sober. somehow that can back fire. i never have been addicted to CM,OXY,TAR, @#$%& i don`t even know what the last 2 are but i was a heavy partier with smokables and hallucinogenics and i know the lifestyle pretty well. hang in there my friend

patty

Date: July 30, 2008 01:04AM

Henry, Pls stop knocking yourself. You found a job that pays. I think that is great! So many people just lose hope and become homeless and dead. We don't always know what contribution to another life our presence brings.

I have a friend that got bitten by a tick and got tick fever. Because he had been living the modified Raw lifestyle for decades, he healed himself naturally. He suffered tremendously throughout his illness because he was able to overcome and become healthy again, he is able to lead others what to do if they are bitten by a tick.

While suffering is not what most want, it is part of the healing process if one allows it.

I haven't taken anything but prescription medications but they completely stressed my body, too. I had to do a 10-day distilled water fast to rid my body of medications. Since that initial fast, I do a 10-day water fast a couple of times a year to clean out my body of any toxins. I heard there was a brain tuner that assisted people overcome drug addictions. It puts the brain back into healthy wavelengths. I don't know of anyone who has one, just that it works wonders. It helps people that don't have drug addictions, too, by balancing out the brain.

Good luck and keep going. Wishing you the best. Therese

Date: July 30, 2008 05:15PM

Thank you for the advice. Where do I find out about brain tuner. At first I thought you were saying that there was a brain tumor that would help. Ha!

Date: July 31, 2008 12:35AM

Henry, This doesn't work for smoking but it is for drug addiction and such. My friend said that it takes 72 hours and there will be no cravings and withdrawal symptoms. However, one must have the mind-set first to stop the drugs. I think you are there but you must judge for yourself.

The website is here [www.promolife.com];. I do not have any affiliation with the site/product. Eventually I would like to get one to balance whatever ails me.

Good luck. Therese

Date: August 05, 2008 05:45PM

The link to promolife works when you do promolife.com but the further links don't work. Do you know the name. I am doing very well except for the fast food slips and I have become addicted to Triple scoop ice creams from Rite Aid for the sugar cravings. Thanks. Henry

Date: August 05, 2008 06:29PM

this link was posted on another thread. i haven`t checked it out yet so i`m not sure if it`s food cravings or has something to do with alcohol cravings as well. high five from me to you for staying clean smiling smiley

[www.raw-food-health.net]
patty

Date: August 05, 2008 11:02PM

Henry, Sorry about that. Not sure what happened there.

It is: [www.promolife.com] or http: //www.promolife.com/alternative-therapies/body/mind/spirit/bt7-brain-bio-tuner/prod_1223.html. In the second, I separated the http: and the // deliberately so you could see the entire URL. Be sure to take out the space if you do a copy paste with the typed version.

When I first became raw, I was addicted to ice cream, too. I had to give it up because I kept getting colds to detox the ice cream! LOL. Anyhow, so glad that you are still with us.

Here is the info from the webpage copied below. Although the info below does not mention drug addictions, it does work for that.

BT7 Brain Bio Tuner

The BT-7 Brain Tuner (free shipping) - New upgraded model NOW available - with easy ear clips (see photo below)

The BT7 Brain Tuner by Dr. Bob Beck is an electronic stimulator that produces over 500 frequencies to rapidly balance and restore the natural energies of your body and mind. Some research suggests that these subtle energies may be linked to improved memory, creativity, learning, and intelligence. Using the BT-7 Brain Tuner requires no special effort, training or discipline. The BT-7 is preset to run for a 20 minute session. Most individuals describe the experience as being one of focused deep relaxation, even when high emotional tension has been present. Following the normal 2 to 3 week application routine, many individuals experience significant positive changes in their lives and in their relationships with others. Many users experience a more positive, energetic outlook, better mental clarity and feelings of improved self-esteem. The many daily challenges of life seem easier to handle and negative reaction to environmental stress and tension are diminished. Many individuals have reported that previous negative habits and behavior patterns gradually diminish with time.

The numerous benefits of BT-7 tend to be cumulative in nature and gradually reveal themselves over a period of 1 to 3 weeks. Change is spontaneous and effortless. Since 1983, thousands of individuals have discovered the Brain Tuner relaxation system. (BT-5, BT-6, and now the new BT-7). Join them now and discover today's most powerful technology for positive change and well-being.

Benefits of BT- 7

* Ability to Focus
* Lucid Dreaming
* Deep Relaxation
* Enhanced Creativity
* Centering and Calmness
* Reduced Nervous Energy
* Deeper, more Restful Sleep
* Better Sexual Performance
* Short Term Memory Improvement
* Increased Mental and Physical Energy
* Reduced Negative Behavior Patterns
* Improved Attention Span and Concentration

Note: the possible range of benefits listed above are based upon 17 years of experience working with the BT-5 and now the BT-6 Pro. Because there are currently no published research studies involving the BT-7 Pro, individual results must be considered personal and subjective. Typically, individuals will report a range of improvements - from very substantial - to very little.

BT- 7 Features

A push-button switch easily changes the output through each of six different pulse modes. Two of the modes contain the 7.83 Hz Schumann (Earth resonance) frequency. Colored led lights indicate each of the different modes.

* Over 500 frequency harmonics in each pulse
* Advanced microcomputer operation
* Six selectable pulse output modes - 111 Hz,, 0.5 Hz. and 7.83 Hz. @ 220 microseconds and 111 Hz,, 0.5 Hz. and 7.83 Hz. @ 550 microseconds
* Featuring the 7.83 Hz. Schumann (Earth Resonance) frequency
* Two selectable pulse width adjustments - 550 or 220 microseconds
* Green Led power on indicator
* Red Led low battery indicator
* 20 minute auto shutoff timer
* Modern surface mount components
* Quartz crystal frequency controller

BT-7 Complete Kit

* BT-7 Unit
* nine-volt battery
* Instruction sheet
* Full three-year warranty
* NEW - permanent one-piece electrode headset - no additional electrodes necessary
* No returns on the BT7 Brain Tuner.
* Ships via Postal. Includes carrying case. No express mail for this item is available.
* NOTE: Due to FDA requirements, this unit is shipped in 2 separate shipments.

BT-7 Specifications

* Maximum <1.5mA Peak ~40 Volts Peak-Peak into typical 4k ohm load. Minimum <~10 microamperes, 10 Volt Peak-Peak at the lowest setting
* Output impedance ~20k ohm
* Modified rectilinear wave with rapid rise time (under 1uS). There are over 500 harmonic frequencies delivered in each pulse as observed on a frequency domain (not time domain) spectrum analyzer
* Base waveform (Mode 1) 1,000 Hz Square wave (+/- 1%) pulse-modulated by 111.11 Hz (+/- 1%) Square wave. Waveforms are Microchip Quartz Crystal-Controlled for precise frequency output. There are 6 user-selectable output Modes
* 9-Volt DC Alkaline Battery operation, useful to end voltage ~6.2 Volts. Battery drain: minimum ~9mA @ 9 Volts to maximum of 30mA with output fully loaded
* Low battery indicator. Low battery circuitry illuminates Red LED light when battery voltage falls below 5.2 Volts. Output is disabled when low battery condition is present
* Auto-shutoff time of 20 minutes. Controlled digitally
* Pulses are Bi-Phasic (AC) with no DC or offset bias. Output is transformer coupled so that no direct current can appear at electrodes. The algebraic sum of positive and negative-going pulses is zero. This obviates any possibility of electrolysis, ion migration, or polarization

Price: $179.95

Take care. Therese

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 11:08PM by life101.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables