Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Horseradish
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: July 25, 2008 04:34PM

Has any one tried Horseradish. My husband wanted to try it.. I was just wondering if it can be eaten raw (I think I have tried a paste that was made with Horseradish in Chinese restaurant - but I am just not sure...) What does it taste like? Where do you get it (like grocery store or at may be Whole foods?)

You make that paste with the Horseradish root, right?

Thanks for your helpsmiling smiley

Take care
A Iyer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Horseradish
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 25, 2008 04:46PM

I've not eaten it raw but I have in the past prepared it to make horseradish sauce to go with roast beef. (traditional sunday lunch here) It is VERY hot.

If you can get the root (yes not leaves) be careful when handling it. It is amazingly hot, in the way that some onions can be when you chop them up, but more so!!! To make the sauce you have to pulverise the root which is very tough so a food processor is helpful - this is the moment when your eyes stream.

It is an easy plant to grow here.

Have fun with your experiments.

Philippa

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 25, 2008 05:21PM

At Whole Foods, I managed to find some packs of dried horseradish/wasabi powder that had NO preservatives. Most of the stuff you find will have a ton of synthetic nastiness in it, so always check the ingredients...

Then, reconstitute with water and eat with caution!! tongue sticking out smiley It's great to make some raw nori rolls, and spread a little bit inside with avocado.

Horseradish, and especially wasabi, have awesome anti-tumor, anti-parasite, and disinfectant properties.

When I worked at a sushi restaurant, I was addicted to wasabi. I tried to convince the owner to invest in my plan to hydroponically grow fresh wasabi in my bathtub, but he never took me up on the idea... aaaww.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 25, 2008 06:48PM

i love them both...horseradish and wasabi. whole foods has the root as well as the dehydrated stuff if you wanted to make your own sauce/paste from scratch

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: July 26, 2008 08:15PM

You take horseradish and blend it with a little water and put it in a jar, Horseradish sauce! mAYBE YOU COULD USE OIL

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 27, 2008 01:52AM

Sure. I used to chop up bits of the root to add spice to my salads or salsas. Many moons ago.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables