Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

So what the heck is it about Agave.....
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 26, 2008 03:29AM

That has infested my kitchen with ants?

Yuck. They're verywhere. Spill the tiniest drop or leave the tiniest drop of it in the sink or on a spoon... and within hours there's ants in it eating it..the others end up drowning in it cause it's at the bottom of a cup.

I've been drinking The Master Cleanse style lemonade..with agave instead of maple.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So what the heck is it about Agave.....
Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 26, 2008 05:25AM

Throw it out the window!!! lol

It's not even raw anyway, maple syrup as well!!

Date: July 26, 2008 10:46AM

I had this too! I ended up having to move the agave to a really high shelf and remember to wash the outside with a wet towel. The stuff is so thin and runny, you can even tell/see where it leaves sticky patches. In fact, on the shelf it was originally there are sticky hard patches I can't wash off!

Maybe it's worth putting it in some sort of bag?

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 26, 2008 03:49PM

suspendedindefinitely Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Maybe it's worth putting it in some sort of bag?

i keep mine in the fridge
patty

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 26, 2008 03:54PM

Can you blame them? It's tasty stuff. Just be careful to wash the bottle after use, not leave it out, etc...

Date: July 26, 2008 04:20PM

mira Wrote:
> Throw it out the window!!! lol
>
> It's not even raw anyway, maple syrup as well!!

I'm not that anal about raw. For what I need the Agave for, it's working for me. It's a quick fix for keeping my blood sugar stable. smiling smiley

Date: July 26, 2008 04:26PM

dewey Wrote:
> suspendedindefinitely Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Maybe it's worth putting it in some sort of
> bag?
>
>
> i keep mine in the fridge
> patty

I tried that and it got all thick and hard and was too hard to get out of the bottle. lol

They're not really going after the bottle since it's pretty clean.. it's just any little drop left anywhere. I'm not exactly in the habit of washing things as soon as I'm done using them. Then again they'd still smell it. Ugh.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2008 05:56PM

you can clean off the left over stickiness by wiping it down with essential oil of orange, lemon would work too. it dissolves the sticky, it's pretty amazing.

ok, to my thinking wiping down the jar or even running it under the tap and drying it off after every use has GOT to be less work than dealing with hundreds of ants in the kitchen all the time. i wouldn't find that too hard to incorporate into my routine but i'm a bit uber organized, heh.

there are a few natural insect deterrants that you can use, wiping down the door and window frames with vinegar, sprinkling powdered rosemary along door and window sills, etc. there are more, you can look them up.

i am confused about how agave helps with blood sugar, i don't use it myself but i thought it was sugar free? or am i confusing it with stevia...

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 27, 2008 09:48AM

hmm..yeah keep the outside wiped down

I dont bother with it anymore..its pricey..and find just plain lemonade works fine long term!

Hope the pesky ants are gone now smiling smiley

Date: July 27, 2008 02:31PM

coco Wrote:
> you can clean off the left over stickiness by
> wiping it down with essential oil of orange, lemon
> would work too. it dissolves the sticky, it's
> pretty amazing.
>
> ok, to my thinking wiping down the jar or even
> running it under the tap and drying it off after
> every use has GOT to be less work than dealing
> with hundreds of ants in the kitchen all the time.
> i wouldn't find that too hard to incorporate into
> my routine but i'm a bit uber organized, heh.
>
> there are a few natural insect deterrants that you
> can use, wiping down the door and window frames
> with vinegar, sprinkling powdered rosemary along
> door and window sills, etc. there are more, you
> can look them up.
>
> i am confused about how agave helps with blood
> sugar, i don't use it myself but i thought it was
> sugar free? or am i confusing it with stevia...

Thanks..I'll try some of those. Gonna just keep everything I use in the fridge too since I haven't seen them there. I use the same cup and spoon anyway.

I don't know how it helps. I just know it does. They were talking about using it on another forum and all I know is when I use it, I don't get dizzy when I stand up and all that mess. I can drink other juices and still get dizzy but not when I have a couple glasses of this a day. I'm also fasting.

Date: July 27, 2008 02:33PM

You know what another weird thing is...

I keep seeing ants carrying DEAD ants around. Maybe ants that drowned in it..I don't know but there's always an ant on a floor carrying another one..once I even saw one crawling up a wall with a dead one. And that wall isn't anywhere near where I use the Agave so it's not like it splattered.

I quit killing them just because it seems you kill one and 3 more instantly show up. Like they set off some kind of signal. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2008 02:33PM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: July 27, 2008 02:40PM

I stopped ants coming too close to the back door yesterday by pouring syrup a foot near their nest in the opposite direction. They completely cleared the doorstep, haven't seen them on there since. Just in time too- I always get the blame for ants coming in because I can be a messy bugger in the kitchen!

Posted by: Lollipop ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:21PM

To answer coco's question, I believe agave nectar is a lower glycemic load food than sugar. As such, it doesn't provide the same rush of glucose into the bloodstream, so it is a better choice for diabetics.

Posted by: new2green ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:40PM

My grandma used to put the honey jar inside a small saucer with water. The ants end up dying when they try to get to the honey. It's two in one, keep the agave safe and pest control...

Date: July 28, 2008 12:37AM

i feel bad for the ants!
in the interest of keeping it vegan i try for preventative measures myself.

i don't usually enjoy the taste of stevia but it is actually excellent in lemonaid.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 28, 2008 12:58PM

if i were an ant

i would probably go to likeitornot's kitchen counter and pilfer myself a bit of agave as well

as far as carrying off the dead ants, maybe they are respecting their lives by giving it a funeral

hmmm ...

Date: August 23, 2008 06:48AM

I'm sure some would eat the ants with the agave...
Not me LOL

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 23, 2008 12:00PM

It's like crack for ants.

smiling smiley

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

"May all beings be happy."

Date: August 23, 2008 02:51PM

lol no more ants where I moved.
Yay for 2nd floor.

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: August 24, 2008 03:23AM

Great response LikeItOrNot- on the person who told the poster to through it out the window.

Funny how some people have a monoploy on the truth!

Date: August 24, 2008 01:43PM

I manufacture agave nectar.. and I will be the first to tell you.. as amazing as our product can be as a prebiotic product.. I believe that Organic Maple Syrup when used in conjunction with the masterclease yields the best results. You need to understand the whole package.. the interaction of the densely packed minerals in the maple syrup with the interaction of the lemon, cayenne.. etc..

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 24, 2008 02:01PM

Robt Williams wrote…
<<< You need to understand the whole package.. the interaction of the densely packed minerals in the maple syrup with the interaction of the lemon, cayenne.. etc..>>>

Please tell us more about the whole package and the interaction between the minerals, lemon and cayenne.

Date: August 24, 2008 04:08PM

robtt Wrote:
> I manufacture agave nectar.. and I will be the
> first to tell you.. as amazing as our product can
> be as a prebiotic product.. I believe that Organic
> Maple Syrup when used in conjunction with the
> masterclease yields the best results. You need to
> understand the whole package.. the interaction of
> the densely packed minerals in the maple syrup
> with the interaction of the lemon, cayenne.. etc..

By that logic then, why wouldn't Blackstrap Mollasses be the better choice? It's known for being actually alkalizing (There is contridicting information everywhere on whether or not Maple and Agave are alkalizing) It has major nutrients like Calcium and Iron.

I couldn't handle the maple syrup anymore. And when I used Agave, I wasn't actually doing the official "master cleanse" because I was also drinking other stuff like Orange juice and carrot juices.

Keepitsimple3344 - lol thanks. I rather go through a bottle of Agave a week then be a raw food cop.

Date: August 24, 2008 04:19PM

1st of all .. Yacon syrup beats Agave ANYDAY!! Yakon is TRULY a low sugar syrup w/ MANY health benefits!!!

Yacon syrup which is freshly pressed from the yacon root. It is a glucose-free sweetener and contains sugars that are complex enough to be medicinal. The syrup therefore has medicinal properties that help our immune system combat viruses and other bacteria. However, the sugar in Yacon is not so complex that the sweet taste is lost. Therefore, this magical sweetener is a sweet low-calorie formula.

Furthermore, Yacon syrup has the effect of thinning the blood and can therefore lower blood pressure by five to ten percent. It can also help cholesterol and discourage clot formation.The Yacon is a distant relative of the sunflower and its root is rich in potassium and antioxidants and is also considered the world’s richest natural source of FOS (Fructooliosaccharides).

Yacon is rich in oligofructose (fructooligosaccharide) also known as FOS. FOS is a dietary sugar that our bodies are unable to metabolize. Since the body is unable to fully digest the sugar it is classified as a nondigestable carbohydrate. Study’s show a diet rich in FOS can help with weight management, cardiovascular diseases, prevention and the risk of cancer, and support for the control and prevention of many chronic diseases.

Yacon is also quite nutritious along with beings an excellent alternative to sugar and other high carbohydrate sweet foods.

Traces of phosphorous (22%)
Glucide (11.1%)
Protein (0.8%)
Fiber (0.6%)
Lipids (0.6%)
Cellulose (0.5%)
Yacon also contains other important essential elements such as:

Iron
Calcium
Sodium
Potassium
Carotene
Magnesium
Vitamin A
Vitamins B1, B2
Vitamin C
Being such a nutrition rich food Yacon studies reflect its medicinal properties which make it an excellent choice for anyone suffering from various ailments and chronic illnesses s such as:

Obesity
Constipation
Insomnia
Arthritis
Hypertension
Kidney Disease
Other types of roots also contain sugars such as the sweet potato and taro, but Yacon also has the lowest calorie content. An average sweet potato contains 123 calories, a regular potato 77, taro 60. Whereas, Yacon contains only 54 calories making it an all around excellent choice.

Yacon food products are available as snacks and syrups, or the root can be eaten raw or cooked. Those who are seeking a raw food diet may find Yacon root and excellent choice to add to their recipe ingredients.

Compared to other local rootcrops, yacon has the lowest calorie content (54 cal), this is twice lower than the calories in a sweet potato (123 cal.), potato (77cal), and taro (60 cal).

Heres David Wolfe raving about Yakon Syrup, which is how I discovered it!:

[www.healthynewage.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables