Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

SERIOUS... issues with gas...
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 26, 2008 07:43PM

Hi there... yes i know everyone has trouble with gas when going raw... but somehow i think i am different... don't know if lots of people say this...but let me explain... One day i did a daring trick on a trampoline and whiplashed my spine....basically bending myself in half backwards...

ok so since then i have had this interesting burbing problem...and we're talking it sounds like a monster living in my belly kind of burps... like if you drank a full beer in one gulp... i once said supercalafragalisticexpialladotious...with time before and a long finish... you get the point...usually occurring after i eat...with a large inhale before...so not very relieving...

people have told me it's part of the cleansing process... parasites...candida... too much sugar too much fiber... too much fat...too many carbs... combination of foods... ok... i have heard ...and tried...well a lot of what people say about food and gas... what also happens is i have these flare ups...and i can feel gas in my body... everywhere... and i usually end up on a NATURAL fast... cause i can't eat...my stomach is so full of gas and so painful and i'm nauseous... and yes constipation and it would take about 2 to 4 days to pass and then i would still be rather sensitive... and tired... .

so things have improved... but i still burp... and i recently took on a water fast thinking well surely i won't burp then...but it was worse... and as i journeyed into the rawfoods diet... i thought well things will get better... maybe worse before better...but... after not having a flare up for 3 months... i have had them again... and a lot of the pains that i used to have are coming back...my belly looks and feels like i am 3 months pregnant when i eat a 2 meals a day... a few days in a row...

so i have figured out that if i eat greens and certain vegetables it's worse... and nuts...not so great... so if i eat fruit for a day and then fruit in the morning and one salad in a day... and then the next day just fruit... i don't have the gas SO bad... it's still there... but i'm tired and weak...i feel best just eating fruit... but what about protein and strength... and if i could fast all the time is when i feel best... but this isn't good either... and i don't want to depend on powder drinks and pills...

if there is anyone that has carried on through my long story and can offer any advice... i would love to hear it... because i am at a loss... as to what to do about this... though the burping has a somewhat entertaining value...it's not so nice...

thanks for reading...

may peace and blessing be always within you...

love laugh and dream
g

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SERIOUS... issues with gas...
Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: July 26, 2008 09:05PM

luvyuu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there... yes i know everyone has trouble with
> gas when going raw...

Not everyone has trouble with gas when going raw. I didn't. I only get gas when I eat something I have trouble digesting and the enzymes of raw food deal with that unless its something that also contains digestive enzyme inhibitors as well.

Its possible that, from your trampoline experience, you might have a vertebrae out of alignment which is putting pressure on some nerves that facilitate your digestive processes. A chiropractor or an osteopath who does manipulations should be able to assess and make an adjustment if that's the case.

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 26, 2008 09:12PM

I think raw foodies could write a book about unwanted flagulence (sp?)
I am familiar with your plight. I have been 80-90% raw for about 4 years. Just this past month I have gone 100% raw. I noticed all gas problems...gone! Until i had a salad with dressing that contained sugar, than the bloating and the gas returned. I have discovered that you have to go 100% raw with no playing around the carbs table...even fruit mixed with other things in my diet produce gas. I too have to eat fruit alone. Stuff in the gut (bateria, lack of enzymes ect) are at the heart of the problem. Have you added supplemental enzymes into your diet?

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 26, 2008 09:14PM

That's good advice, I too wondered if the 'trampoline incident' had something to do with it.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 26, 2008 10:18PM

i'm sure it is too...like some valve or something got thrown out of wack...but i have seen chiropractors and oseopaths... and i worked with an amazing shamanic healer for awhile...but it all works for awhile but i become dependent on them... i've learned yoga and reiki and do self healings a lot...i am now adding subtle energy work from yoga to my digestion process...but my god when's it gonna stop... i think the raw foods will be good... but i'm not so sure...

love laugh and dream
g

Posted by: jonesy8844 ()
Date: July 27, 2008 01:51AM

I also have the problem - it happens with any nuts or tahini which is very annoying.

I spoke to a person who was a long-time foodist and she said that one option she finds helpful is to soak the nuts overnight and then dry them. That way next time it should be okay

Good luck

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 27, 2008 02:32AM

Luvyuu:

-Sounds very frustrating....and you are doing the right thing asking for help and information. After doing all the research.......just commit to the lifestyle that YOU think is highest....and focus on that. Eating should not be a burden or a confusion. And all you can do regarding your condition.....is ALL you can do....and after that.....you just don't worry.....and accept the consequences and responsibility for your decisions....which do not need to be justified to anyone - you know?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 27, 2008 03:28AM

Mindful Eating.

I seldom gulp down my food anymore, but when I do I experience gas and monster burps which make me laugh at myself they're so spontaneous and loud when they occur. I attribute it to gulping in extra air and not chewing my food adequately...pretty much not savoring the digestive process which begins in the mouth. When I take my time and chew, chew, chew and enjoy the flavor of the food...no problems with digestion or gas no matter what raw item I'm eating. Ginger root is a miracle elixir for me personally. Just more thoughts to add along to the string. Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2008 03:29AM by rawangel.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 27, 2008 03:32AM

hyldemoer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Its possible that, from your trampoline
> experience, you might have a vertebrae out of
> alignment which is putting pressure on some nerves
> that facilitate your digestive processes.
>

Yeah, being bent over backwards can cause various compression injuries to the spine.. especially the lower vertebrae.

"After the acute painful phase:
Restore pain free movement to the back through mobilization and stretching techniques.
Ensure posture and correct lifting techniques are learned and maintained.
Strengthen the core stabilizing muscles of the spine."

[www.sportsinjuryclinic.net]

Rest, strengthening the core and stretching work for me when I get spine compression pain. A massage wouldn't hurt either imo. Hope this helps..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2008 03:46AM by loeve.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 27, 2008 03:43PM

Try "Bikram Yoga" - just look for the nearest location, and do it, trust me, it may help you.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: July 27, 2008 04:13PM

Luvyuu,

I am struggling with the exact same thing right now but I wish my gas problem was belching. It is massive flatus. (It's so bad at times even my dog is offended.)

I can't even figure out what to eat/not eat anymore. I am sure the more I dwell on it, the worse it will be. Problem is that I share an office at work with 3 other people. Let's just say that I think they know who the culprit is :-).

Oh, and I never did a back flip on a trampoline.

Mono eating hasn't helped and I follow rules of food combining rather well. I do believe high glycemic carbs are a big part of the issue. I know that I am very sugar intolerant. Sweet fruits alone just don't work. In the past few weeks I started eating tons more fruit since it is very available and all sorts of problems cropped up.

Without getting into a long tirade of what I have tried and what does/doesn't work, I am making a concerted effort starting now to change HOW I eat in conjunction with how much I eat in a sitting and being aware of what I eat and it's affect. I am going to implement a small pre-meal meditation of breathing and relaxation before I start eating.

I think the how and how much are bigger issues.

Just letting you know that you are not alone and offering my support as I try to solve my own issue too.

Patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables