Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drink too much
Posted by: TerrryR ()
Date: August 18, 2008 04:43AM

Hi,
Well it has been three weeks since I first wrote here. Many ups and downs, many distractions. After falling off during the last five days I am eager to get going again. Instead of being disappointed, I'm looking forward instead of back. One problem is that when eating fruit and vegetables, I am never hungry and as a result haven't been eating that much. I am about 6-7 lbs less than when I started. I knew this wasnt going to be easy.

Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 18, 2008 06:24AM

Hi Terry,
All a person can do is keep trying....
Hang in there.
One question I have is....do you ever eat fruits and veggies along with the booze? I have a feeling not,since they are at total opposite ends of the scale.
Stick with those fruits and raw veggies and I am confident they will win out in the end.I really believe cravings for the nasty stuff to be an acid/alkaline and a blood sugar issue.I believe raw foods will put you back in balance with both.

Brian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2008 06:28AM by Raw1228.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 18, 2008 02:23PM

hang in there terry, you`re doing great and your attitude is wonderful!
patty

Date: August 18, 2008 08:39PM

Thank you everyone for your continued support. I want to clarify if you will, that I am not your fall down drunk variety however a constant schedule of dining and entertaining clients has begun to take its toll and I am tired of it. It just takes concentration and discipline to break bad habits. I have been very good today with bananas, apples and plums and some zucchini in a little while- Thanks again.

Terry

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 18, 2008 09:27PM

I don't think a person has a serious drinking problem until they reach the point where after the first drink of alcohol there is a 100% probability they won't stop and soon they will be falling down drunk.

Posted by: javacado ()
Date: August 20, 2008 02:05AM

I wish I'd been reading the forums here regularly the past month...

Terry, I am battling alcohol addiction myself. I am only 32 but I've had a really hard time letting go of it since my late teens/early twenties. Eating raw and exercising moderately has been the best thing for me personally. I have go back and forth...having a few days sober, then a few days of drinking in between. Since March, I've lost a total of 30 lbs, give or take a few. I agree with a previous post that eating fruits/veggies, and particularly more greens, along with getting enough REST is key for me! I try not to let myself go witout sleep and try not to get too hungry, or too ANGRY about anything...anger is what really gets me wanting to drink...and I think FEAR is at the root of that. Monitoring emotions and asking myself "do i really want to feel ruled/controlled by my "need" to have a drink after work...???? It's so easy to slip into auto-pilot and kind of grab that first drink without really thinking...although thinking is what made me grab that drink, and not counteracting those first thoughts is the real problem. I agree with DavidZMason that it's not the substance that's the problem, it's why I feel like I need that substance...of course, the lie/misconception is that I NEED anything at all! I don't need anything, but there is peace in wanting and then deciding on the better choice in the end. Freedom and not slavery to anything!

Much easier said than done, but just so you know... I am all ears if you want to share/discuss your daily challenges with overcoming drinking!!!!

Jennie

Date: August 20, 2008 05:19AM

Jennie,
Thanks for your response and insights. I think that there is a fine line between addiction and habit. Maybe that is what separates t?he addicts from problem drinkers. Our body talks to us every day; we just need to be listening. I overdosed yesterday and today on mostly fruit and some vegetables and I don't want to speak too soon but at the end of the day I had an abundance of energy and a positive outlook which I havent had in some time. Can it have a positive effect on me that quickly?? You seem to be on my wave length. Send me a private message and maybe we can talk again. Share ideas on how to conquer this demon so to speak.

Terry

Date: August 20, 2008 02:17PM

I will pm you.

I think there's a fine line between habit and addiction... not sure if that line exists. Or how to tell when you've crossed it, if it does. I don't worry myself anymore with wondering if I've crossed it. It's more about improving the quality of life. I think at the end of the day, you're either happy with your behavior or you're not. You know if you'd rather things have been different in your life for that day (or string of days...).

Date: August 22, 2008 04:58AM

Hi,
I find that if I O.D on fruit and veggies, the next day I have a metallic taste in my mouth. Is this normal detox. When I have the metallic mouth I don't want to eat anything. Input welcomed.

Terry

Date: August 22, 2008 06:29AM

i have never felt that

Date: October 10, 2008 01:49PM

Hi,
Well, it has been over two months now and haven't been religious enough in my endeavor. Nontheless, I am noticing slight changes. I just returned from Europe and immediately went back to eating fruit and vegetables. within three days I was able to notice improvements. Overall I have noticed that I am more alert and have been getting more accomplished in my workday. I am no longer stressing with trying to accomplish this overnite. I now see that it is a slow change and I am no longer beating myself up when I fall off the raw wagon for a few days. I have found that I actually like many fruits and almost crave then on certain days.

Date: October 10, 2008 04:08PM

Terry,
Good to see you back.
All you can do is keep trying.
You will get theresmiling smiley

Brian

Date: October 10, 2008 04:20PM

Terry -- thats good to hear.
How are you doing with the drinking ? Are you controlling it or is it controlling you ?

Posted by: Doris ()
Date: October 11, 2008 09:54PM

I was a very heavy drinker.. never falling down drunk either, (I built up my tolerance, and most never even knew I was drinking) but I did depend on my alcohol every single night. (ALOT of it) It relaxed me, and I thought it helped me to wind down. I did not drink and drive, and never lost any work, or drank during working hours. My family and friends would've been shocked to know how much I drank every night.

After about 10 years of this.. all in hiding for the most part, I was pretty much figuring that booze would kill my liver. I had a bad smell that exuded from my pores.. my urine smelled awful, and I always had runny stools.. diarhea. I believe things were breaking down.

About 4 months ago I had a scare. My stool was the brightest green that you can imagine. TMI, I know, but it was almost flourescent green. I knew it was something to do with my liver, and it scared me. My organs were hurting.. it was time for a change. I am half scared to go to the DR, so I figured I needed to do this on my own. I have never been to rehab.. never been to AA.

So, in fear I went vegan the very next day, and have not looked back. I was afraid of the potentially deadly consequences of cold turkey, so I weaned myself off of the booze. I cut my consumption to about a third the first 3 days.. and just kept cutting it back for the first 2 weeks. It was easy. Then I limited myself to one glass of wine, or one beer for the following few weeks. And then suddenly I was out of booze, and I forgot to go to the liquor store for several days.. and I replaced the evening drink with hot tea. Now I am drinking water with a fresh squeezed lemon.

I cannot begin to tell you all the changes in my face.. my body. I have lost nearly 40 lbs. My complexion is losing that alchoholic face.. the awful red cheeks and nose. I don't even THINK about booze.. it really is not a temptation at all. I wake up in the morning with energy. I didnt even realize that I was always hungover for the first few hours of my days. I sleep better.

My hair is looking young and healthy again. It had become thin. I am 47 years old, and actually feel good about myself for the first time in about 10 years. I cannot wait until I reach the end of my journey.. I will be sure to post before and after pics because already the difference is shocking. I have about 40 more lbs to lose.

I am mostly raw.. I start my day out with carrot/spinache/ginger juice. I take some fruit and nuts to snack on during the day, and have a huge salad in the evening. I usually include an avacado, or beans in it.. something to give it a meaty feel to it, plus olive oil. I eat that salad until I am stuffed. Then I take a nice long walk (45 mins or so) with my dog. I feel like I am reclaiming my life.

I have no idea where I will be next year. In spite of never having been to AA, I am taking this one day at a time, and so far it has been easy peasy. I have no idea why my cravings for alcohol have just gone away, but I am so thankful that they have. I know that it would have killed me sooner than later.

Date: October 11, 2008 11:34PM

Doris - Congratulations, it sounds like you are on your way to better health and a booze free life. Stay the course ;-)

Date: October 12, 2008 02:05AM

Thanks EZ, I never even admitted that I had a problem before, and in spite of feeling so great with my recent better health, I think I am still walking on eggshells. It cannot possibly be this easy, without all sorts of meetings, counseling, rehab, etc etc etc. This will be a good thread for me to keep an eye on.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: October 12, 2008 05:42AM

Hey Doris -- keep on keepin' on!! What you're doing seems to be working for you, so be glad!!! If (and it is a big if) you have more problems down the road, then take them as they come, but don't worry about what isn't there.

Date: October 12, 2008 07:15AM

I am still walking on eggshells. It cannot possibly be this easy, without all sorts of meetings, counseling, rehab, etc

I have been sober for years now without any meetings, counseling, or rehab by just avoiding the first sip of booze. Its logical that if a person dosn't have a first drink there won't be a second or third etc.

Date: October 13, 2008 12:26AM

Hey,
Congrats to Doris!! Some great insight here. I'm leaving right now to buy more bananas. I had a good weekend with lots of fruit and am feeling positive going into the new week. Sunday football and it is 8:30PM and I haven't had a drink all day. Keep writing everyone. I appreciate it!!

Terry

Date: October 14, 2008 06:53PM

Hi,
Two days later and lots of fruit and now I am feeling very lethargic and
unmotivated. Is it toxins being released that causes this?? Leaving for Toronto for four days. Areal challenge to be on the road and keep up with the raw diet.

Terry

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 15, 2008 09:41AM

Date: October 23, 2008 11:48PM

How are you doing Terry? I had a weekend away with family and had a few glasses of wine.. just one evening. Nothing the rest of the 4 day weekend and nothing since then. I started walking about 4 miles every evening and finishing the evening off with my nightly hot tea (green tea, nothing added). I love it.

It feels so good to be sleeping through the night. To think that I thought I would not be able to get to sleep without the booze. Are you sleeping better?

Date: October 24, 2008 03:22PM

Terry,
Have you ever looked at the book "Rational Recovery"? By Jack Trimpey?
It gives a great model of how the brain works and why a person craves the pleasure of the buzz.It is a book that helped me ALOT.
Please take a look at it.

Brian

Date: October 24, 2008 03:42PM

I have heard that the hangover headaches that occur after drinking is a result of the dead brain cells that have been destroyed by the booze. Has anyone else heard that ?

Date: October 24, 2008 07:53PM

Well,yes,alcohol kills brain cells.But I believe the hangover is due to dehydration and neurotransmitter imbalances.
Either way it hurts.
And leads a person to question if its ever really worth it.

Brian

Date: October 24, 2008 07:58PM

Doris,
VERY inspiring story there.
I do believe you are one of the lucky ones who have discovered a way out,with using nutrition as a tool to eliminate cravings.

Brian

Date: October 27, 2008 03:14PM

Brian and Doris,
Thanks for the support and advice. This past weekend wasn't the best in terms of raw fooding but it is Monday and I am back on track. I started walking also. Two to three miles at a time. My goal is to run a 5K within the next the next three months. Need to have goals set. As always I appreciate the responses I get on here. It certainly has helped.

Terry

Date: October 27, 2008 03:33PM

Terry,
Thats great about the walking.
I do about 40 min a day myself.I guess thats about 2 miles .
Keep up with a good diet and the exercise.I just know the booze will lose.

Brian

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables