Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hypoglycemia
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: July 29, 2008 05:12AM

My sis has this, I am fruitarian and I told her eating an all fruit diet will CURE hypoglycemia. She said her "dietetition" said she cannot have fruit because theres too much sugar! OMG docs and dietitions are WRONG! She said she can have bananas only and in moderation, well bananas have the MOST sugar of all the fruits, hmmm... The thing is she has to eliminate the other foods she eats and go fruit only, and this will stabilize her sugar back to normal, actually resetting her sugar levels. I have a fruitarian friend in Utah who HAD hypoglycemia prior to going to fruitarianism but it is now gone. My sis is just like most everyone else, she does what the doctors and dietitions say, just like my dad who has type 1 diebetis, he says the same thing, he cant have much fruit! @@#!! too many people are stuck in the SAD ways and think thats whats right only because they dont know any better!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hypoglycemia
Date: July 29, 2008 05:24AM

The sugar in fruit is the kind of sugar our bodies know how to use and break down!
Box sugar and sugar in candy and most everything is the sugar our bodies DONT NEED.people say sugar is sugar, I dont believe this, theres NATURAL sugar and theres sugar in a box or MAN made sugar, there is a BIG difference. And one other thing, the LESS food we eat the better. We only need food for what its for, nutrients and fuel , not to stuff ourselves with. Im finally getting my kids to eat more fruit but its been a long battle. Check this out, My oldest son went home to his moms and told her that he ate mostly fruit this last weekend and hardly anything cooked and what did she say? " Well thats not healthy" " You need the squares a day and you need MEAT! OMG she is so wrong but she doesnt know anybetter than the next SAD person you know. I love the way I live now, I have NEVER felt better than I do now. Problem with my sis and my dad is theyre stuck in their SAD ways and like their cooked food so this is very hard, same thing with my kids but at least im getting them to eat more fruit.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 29, 2008 05:28AM

Does she eat processed food with sugar as an ingredient ? What does her dietitian say about that ?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 29, 2008 11:06AM

Don't try to convince her. Just give her a list of the lowest glycemic fruits, and ask her to test her blood sugar after eating them. Let the evidence speak for itself. I think she'll be surprised. In any event, WHATEVER means a person uses to get clean....PERMANENTLY....on the inside...is good.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 29, 2008 11:56AM

I am hypoglycemic as well and have been to many doctors about it. Since being raw it has helped to stabilize my blood sugar levels a lot. I used to have severe high and low swings. There are still a lot of times though where I find it hard to keep my blood sugar at a decent level.

The fruit really does not help me all that much. It may hold me over for an hour or two but that is about it. I still do eat a lot of it though just because I love the taste.

Not just from my eating experiences, but I have been told from different doctors and have read in research that this typical sugar that we think of is not directly the same type of sugar that is referenced when talking about 'blood sugar'. It has to do with how the food is broken down in our bodies. So actually carbohydrates (from things like grains) are a much better source than sugar for raising blood sugar levels. Additionally, the carbs we see in fruit are not digested the same way carbs are with say, bread.

To eat those type of carbs when needed I eat sprouted quinia, Ezekiel sprouted breads, take glucose tablets which are mostly made up of good carbs rather than sugar (I know they arent raw but they really help when I am in a pinch), and take chromium as a supplement.

I'll have to go back and read up on this again as I cannot remember some of the technical terms. I still have a lot to learn about this though, so if I got something mixed up please correct me.

Hope this helps your sister!

Date: July 29, 2008 12:06PM

The sugar automatically goes into balance on an all raw fruit diet. The doctors don't know about this. They don't know that without the other factors like flour and meat, that the insulin is not disturbed.And yea EZ Rider, she eats processed foods, foods in cans and foods in a box along with fast food. She also eats a lot of "sugar free" candy. She said she believes me but her dietitition says... bla bla bla, so I dont know. Doctors and dietitions,nutritionalists, theyre all wrong in my opinion, thats why we have NATURAL doctors, I should see if shell go see a naturalpath.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 29, 2008 05:03PM

Wow,
Just to add my experience here...I used to eat things like left over chili,tuna,ground turkey,or other protein SAD stuff like that for breakfasts,and now I eat all fruit breakfasts and my blood sugar is just as stable,or more so ,than the old way.
Brian

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 31, 2008 06:36AM

Yes, they are wrong. First, your sister should take her fat intake using a nutritional calculator. If the fat percentage (as a percentage of calories) is 20% or over, she ought to lower it to 20% or less. This will help reduce the amount of insulin in the blood so that the blood sugars don't get dangerously low. Also, eating fruit has a natural slow absorption factor with the sugar preventing sugar spikes because of all the fiber in the fruit.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 31, 2008 05:24PM

There are still a
> lot of times though where I find it hard to keep
> my blood sugar at a decent level.
>
> The fruit really does not help me all that much.
> It may hold me over for an hour or two but that is
> about it. I still do eat a lot of it though just
> because I love the taste.

Same here.

I eat fruit because I like it, but it doesn't help me. I tried 811 just because I like fruit and it was easy, I couldn't stick to it. I'd have highs and lows even though I was eating every couple of hours and then would have other symptoms like cravings and mood swings..which other people try and tell me is "detox" but I don't even get those kinds of symptoms on fasts mostly because I drink enough and keep my colon clean.

This is just another one of those controversial topics IMO where everyone thinks they know what's best and what works based on something they read or believe. There are even holistic drs that are against fruit with this so it's not just SAD doctors. Everyone here says *raw* yet I can go to a Atkins diet type forum and find people there who stopped their highs/lows with that type of crap diet.

I've been keeping my blood sugar levels more stable with Agave..I have no idea why it's working but it is..and I know it's not the *best* thing to do for hypoglycemia.. It's just convenient and somehow works for me.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 31, 2008 07:47PM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
----
>
> I've been keeping my blood sugar levels more
> stable with Agave..I have no idea why it's working
> but it is..and I know it's not the *best* thing to
> do for hypoglycemia.. It's just convenient and
> somehow works for me.

isn`t tat part of the point? what works for your body smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: claire ()
Date: August 01, 2008 10:51AM

I used to have hypoglycaemia (now have diabetes instead sad smiley ) but I didn't know what it was back then!

I don't know whether eating a lot of fruit would have helped to stabilise my blood sugar in the long term...possibly it might have

but I do know that in the short term it was VERY uncomfortable to eat more than one piece of fruit at a time. I can remember trying to eat all fruit for breakfast (or even fruit with some nuts/seeds or yoghurt) and within an hour I would be sweating and shaking all over to the point where I would binge on sugary foods to bring my blood sugar up again. And my mood would go up and down with the changes in blood sugar which would play havoc with my relationships and I would feel very inbalanced in general. It was so distressing that it really put me off eating fruit, even though I REALLY wanted to and tried to for quite a while because I knew it was healthy.

I think it would take a very strong person to persevere through this stage to see whether they could stabilise themself in the long term!

Ironically, now I am actually diabetic and in even worse health I have no problem eating as much fruit as I want!!!

Date: August 01, 2008 01:09PM

dewey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LikeItOrNot Wrote:
> ----
> >
> > I've been keeping my blood sugar levels more
> > stable with Agave..I have no idea why it's
> working
> > but it is..and I know it's not the *best* thing
> to
> > do for hypoglycemia.. It's just convenient and
> > somehow works for me.
>
> isn`t tat part of the point? what works for your
> body smiling smiley
> patty

I don't think so. Just because something "works" doesn't for your body doesn't mean it's healthy or the right thing to do. I guess it would depend if you're comfortable using quick fixes even if there's no other real health benefit.

I'm not comfortable using 4-6 oz a day of Agave. I rather get those few hundred calories from fruit or something that's actually nutrient dense. But even a handful of blueberries which are supposed to be "low glycemic" gives me some kind of blood sugar spike and makes my heart race.

Atkins/Low carb *works* for SAD'ers, and I guess you could question their "health" otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2008 01:10PM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: August 01, 2008 01:15PM

> I think it would take a very strong person to
> persevere through this stage to see whether they
> could stabilise themself in the long term!

Or someone with guts to risk their health even more. Like you said, first hypoglycemia and then diabetes. Going with fruit goes against everything I've read on it. The only person I've ever read claiming that a high fruit diet would basically be some kind of *cure all* is Dough Graham and his infamous 811 diet.

I might start eating fruit again just because apple season is coming and I love apples.. But last year when I tried that, apples basically would have the same effect on me as eating chocolate/sugar. Turns into a binge eat, get a sugar high and then a crash later on. That's not a normal person reaction to fruit anymore than it is candy.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 01, 2008 06:28PM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:

> > isn`t tat part of the point? what works for
> your
> > body smiling smiley
> > patty
>
>
> I don't think so. Just because something "works"
> doesn't for your body doesn't mean it's healthy or
> the right thing to do. I guess it would depend if
> you're comfortable using quick fixes even if
> there's no other real health benefit.

yea, i guess you`re right. i have no experience with hypoglycemia or diabetes and it must be sooooo tough to live with. my heart goes out to anyone who has to deal with it daily.

> I'm not comfortable using 4-6 oz a day of Agave. I
> rather get those few hundred calories from fruit
> or something that's actually nutrient dense. But
> even a handful of blueberries which are supposed
> to be "low glycemic" gives me some kind of blood
> sugar spike and makes my heart race.

wow 4-6 oz a day?

> Atkins/Low carb *works* for SAD'ers, and I guess
> you could question their "health" otherwise.

right again smiling smiley
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables