Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

why do I get weak when following vegan diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 30, 2008 04:08PM

OK,

I always read how people have so much energy when they eat a vegan diet and it sounds great, but my problem is I get weak when I followa vegan diet and I have to go back to eggs sometimes and meat once in a blue moon.
Why DO I get weak when so many others seem to have no problems????? I get the protein from plants yet I still get weak.I want to follow this diet but I have a hard time doing it. Should I buy protein supplements and muti vitamin supplements??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why do I get weak when following vegan diet
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 30, 2008 04:10PM

It's probably a mental issue.

Or maybe you need some more fat from vegan sources.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 30, 2008 04:30PM

That's strange. How about you write a list out of what you eat, either in this message board or a new one so that I or others can examine it. You can also go to one of those diet tracker sites and it lists out if you got all of your vitamins or which ones you are low in, or if you're getting enough protein.

You could also just not be happy. Do you exercise regularly? Go outside? Try yoga or stretching maybe.

It could also be that your body is trying to get rid of the meat and eggs you've previously ate, or is able to digest faster when you eat lighter and is only taking energy up because it's expelling toxins (meat and animal products take a very very long time to digest, that's because people's intestines aren't nearly as short as carnivores, and we're clearly not made on the inside to eat it)

The only thing is that you say "i HAVE to go back to meat and eggs" If you think you need them, you do. Get it straight that you don't need it if you're getting a variety in your diet; no one "needs" it truely

Read more about being vegan, if you haven't already, and the facts behind how the human body is built - this may assure you that you're getting something way way better out of this diet then any messed up omnivore trend. I recommend the book "Skinny Bitch", you get a good laugh out of it while you read some very important stuff.

Date: July 30, 2008 05:35PM

I think it's because I don't eat enough greens. I do soymilk and tofu sometimes but only one salad a day. I need more greens I've been told. Bigger amounts.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 30, 2008 08:10PM

well, you should try to eat greens regardless if you're eating a plant-based diet or not.

Date: July 30, 2008 08:11PM

if you enter your daily food intake into a computer program like fitday.com (it's free and easy to use) you will get an overview of all the nutrients you are getting and what you're missing as well as a break down of percentage of calories from fat, protein, etc.

detox can take a very long time and manifest in a variety of symptoms including lethargy. it is not simply that you need more of one thing or another, sometimes it is just more time you need to adjust, to detox, to regain health. remember that it took many years to get to your present state of health, it may very well take many years to get to a better state of health. it sure won't happen overnight!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 30, 2008 09:39PM

Right. This is normal (and there are several explanations):

1) Detox
2) Not eating enough
3) Not eating a wide enough variety
4) Not getting enough nutrition
5) Making too big a change too quickly
6) Mental / Emotional fixations

-In any event, it is usually #5 & #6 that are the culprits. I would make my changes more slowly...and stretch from where you are 100% comfortable and energetic right now...you know?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: July 30, 2008 10:33PM

jfurgers- I find the raw vegan diet very challenging and I've been vegan/vegetarian most of my life. So much of it is emotional, and it's very easy to undereat one day and overeat the next.

Lots of people do seem to thrive, but don't feel like you're the odd one out. I bet everyone here has some totally insane SAD to RAW rollercoaster journey smiling smiley

I used to find green smoothies really grounding, and when I used to have a lot of cacao, a nut or hemp mylk shake with cacao, avocado or banana etc used to cheer me up.

Posted by: stasia ()
Date: July 31, 2008 12:39AM

I get tired in the summer because of the sun, perhaps you've been exposed to too much heat or sun?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 31, 2008 12:58AM

I agree with the point that David brings up, and his assessment of the most likely issues.

One other thing to remember that meat is very stimulating, and its digestion and the toxins that are created stimulate the body. In addition, there are all the hormones and antibiotics in the meat, which will also be stimulating.

One thing to try is to allow yourself to get weak, and perhaps clear out some time in your work schedule so that you can rest and allow your body to detoxify the animal products. Once you feel weak, go to bed and stay in bed until you start to feel better again. If you let yourself detox in this fashion, your strength and energy will come back after sufficient sleep. Be warned though, this may take a week or even longer. When I did this for myself when recovering from over 15 years of overworking and stimulant consumption, it took my body 4 months to heal itself, and the first month I was sleeping 16 to 18 hours a day. By the last month of my break I was down to sleeping 8 to 10 hours a day. And after this healing crisis was over, I felt the best I had ever felt in my life.

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: July 31, 2008 01:19AM

Bryan,

Yes very true and this doesn't take into account if a person drank coffee, teas, used herbs etc.

I am asked often what's wrong I sleep often and I say good sleep as much as you need.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: July 31, 2008 01:55AM

David Zane Mason has a lot of wisdom on this-

i'd check each of his points very carefully.

if you get to the last one and say- nope, none of these, i'd be shocked.

my husband admits that he's only tired because of his attitude toward raw veganism- it's a FAST/DIET for him. he admits that if it were full time, it would be amazing.

mentality goes a long way- and i balance his diet... so it's easy.

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables