Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Filtered Water?
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: August 02, 2008 03:16PM

So I've known for a while obviously that tap water sucks ass (have you ever tasted NC water? It's like drinking iron.) - AND we've been buying spring water only for quite a long time now (we buy the gallon jugs and poor them in a dispenser thing to fill up water bottles) -- but I'm worried about all of the plastic that goes to waste over it (though we do recycle, a little fact for you is that only a very small percentage is ACTUALLY recycled by the recycling company).

Here's the question: What is the best water filtering system that provides the least waste (I know there's brita, but don't you have to replace the little filter thing all the time?) that may work better then the mainstream brands? Does anyone have any experience with water filters or know how to get the best nutrition out of your water? I know well water is the best(minerals), but I'm in the suburbs right now. The well is kind of out of it. So anyone with water-filter experience, please let me know.

-Chloe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Filtered Water?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 02, 2008 04:59PM

I am very interested too, I need a new system, please help with an advise,

I distilled my water for years, but switched to filter a year or two ago (from a Swiss company, can't find them now, and I am using my last one).

Yes, you need to replace the filter by Brita.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 02, 2008 05:06PM

iLIVE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So anyone with water-filter
> experience, please let me know.
I think we should all use good water to wash our
Fruits and Vegetables, not Tap Water.
The best water is Distilled from a Well. But a Water
Distiller uses a lot of electricity, and creates a lot of
Heat. RO units use a lot of water to make good water. For
anyone using City Water, I'd recommend water filters from
CrystalQuest.com. It'll take a Handyman (or a Plumber) to
install them. If you're using Well Water, forget using water
filters......WY

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 02, 2008 05:13PM

By the way, those small carbon filter that attach to
the kitchen faucet are practically worthless. Chlorine
is removed from water by the length of time the water is
in contact with the carbon. The water runs through those
small filters too fast to do any good.....WY

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: August 03, 2008 11:12AM

Water filtration threads come up every so often. Maybe we should have a sticky thread for it.

Anyways, this link might help:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 03, 2008 04:24PM

Anyway:

A simple solution is to eat foods that are rich in water content. This keeps you well-hydrated. Keeping a supply of drinking water on-hand is not difficult beyond that point....as you won't need as much as you think. I find that reverse osmosis water is a good standard. I just fill a 5-gallon jug of the purified, reverse osmosis water that you get from the machines at the grocery store. Municipal tap water is usually quite clean to begin with (they have fairly strict standards they have to adhere to). Add the UV, charcoal and reverse osmosis filters that the machines do...and got some pretty darn clean drinking water. Leave in the sun 8 hours for additional purification then refrigerate. This quite a good solution...and costs about $1.25 (plus the gas to get to the store! ha! ha!).

-I still prefer distilled while I'm fasting....and to save time....I'll often just buy the jugs at the grocery story during a longer fast.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables