Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

new to raw, some questions about cost/meal plans
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 02, 2008 03:54PM

Hi,

I have been interested in the raw diet for a long time. I even have a few raw cookbooks (which I don't really like because everything seems so complicated.) Right now, I'm an unhealthy female junkfood vegan (whose hair is falling out because I had been eating complete garbage up until recently) and am looking to get my life together and finally do what I've wanted to do for so long...go raw!

I am also unemployed and don't really have much money for food, except for the $150 I get in foodstamps every month. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for being raw/healthy on a budget. I tried growing my own food this year, but most of my plants died in the extreme heat when I forgot to water them one day. I have one tomato plant that hasn't produced anything yet (I started my seeds way too late) and some pumpkins and squash that are doing well (can I even eat pumpkins or pattypans raw?)

I have been buying produce at the farmer's market, but there's not too much there besides peaches and tomatoes. There's only one vendor that sells organic. The few organic fruits/veggies at the grocery store are a bit out of my budget, so I usually settle for the regular produce.

I'd also like to know what all of y'all eat on a regular basis. I know a raw diet is the healthiest if done correctly, but I can't help but worry about things like iron and zinc, because of my recent hair loss problem. (I'm only 22 too.) The one green thing I do eat a lot of is raw parsley because I love it and supposedly it has a lot of iron.

Sorry that was so long.

To summarize: I'd like tips for being raw on a budget and to know what you eat in a day, week, how-ever-long...

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new to raw, some questions about cost/meal plans
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 02, 2008 06:19PM

garden Wrote:
I even have a few raw cookbooks (which I don't really like because everything seems so complicated.)

There are many different styles of eating raw. I like a simple fresh raw style that isn't complicated. I eat my foods with very little preparation (think pulling grapes from a cluster and eating them) and are eaten by themselves rather then in combination or recipe with other foods. I'm sure this is to basic for many people but it suits me just fine. Most of my raw meals remind me of a picnic. ;-) Experiment and find the way that works the best for you.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: August 03, 2008 09:41AM

That's about $37/week. I spend more than double that. Not that I can afford it, ha ha.

Asian stores are cheapest for vegetables, a lot cheaper than the farmer's market. Sav-a-lot and Aldi's are also cheap for certain things.

It's pretty cheap to do the 15 bananas, one avocado and a head of romaine lettuce per day. It would be about $28/week But that would be boring.

To meet your budget goal you'll have to concentrate mostly on the seasonal things that are low priced. But if you are stressed over minerals and maybe protein, too, you will want more greens, which are pretty expensive (cost per calorie-wise) even when they are "cheap."

Cheapest raw fats are sunflower seeds and flax seeds.

You can make the cheap things your staples and add a little bit of the more expensive things for variety.

Date: August 03, 2008 02:21PM

Hi Garden

I too am a recovering ex-junk food vegan ;-)

Most supermarkets have a 'reduced' section and you can find some great bargains in there, also the markets tend to sell their produce off cheap late in the day i.e. getting 2 or 3 galia melons for the price of one.

With growing stuff- you can buy specially designed window-box type containers that have a water reservoir at the bottom so even if it's really hot, the plants shouldn't dry out.

For other free stuff, it might be worth scouting out your neighbourhood for wild berries, dandelion leaves, wild herbs etc.

A cheap sprouting jar and a bag of mixed seeds (alfalfa, mung etc) will pay for itself over and over again.

Don't worry too much about 'organic'.

www.fitday.com and www.nutritiondata.com will help take good care of you smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 03, 2008 02:49PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2008 02:50PM by la_veronique.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 03, 2008 04:04PM

This question comes up often. Here are some tips:

1) Buy at many different shops - and only buy what's on sale.
2) Buy lots of 'scratch & dent' produce at a discount.
3) Focus on staples that are NOT expensive or under $2.00 / lb.
4) Eat what's local and in-season
5) Get to know the folks at smaller fruit stands and stores...who will either give you free dented stuff....or deals on over-ripe / damaged goods.
6) Sprout your own sprouts. It's fun, delicious and cheap.
7) Grow your own micro-greens, herbs and veggies. It's not that hard - and rewarding.
8) Drink more water. Many times, hunger is actually thirst.
9) Get clean internally to better absorb nutrition and calories (this is ALWAYS the #1 long-term priority).
10) Get a part time job at a local fruit stand. You'll get money, and free stuff. I've done it.
11) Many homes and neighborhoods have fruit trees. Just walk up and knock and ask if you can take a bag when the trees are in season. Most folks are happy to share.
12) Get a girlfriend or boyfriend to buy food for you. I think if a person asks directly, people that care about you are usually happy to buy you food - if you really need it. There's nothing wrong with ASKING for what you need. The worst that can happen is some one says no. Heh..heh.

-Just some tips from my own experiences.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 03, 2008 06:36PM

here is an idea as well
if you don't think you are getting enough food
you could get REALLY creative
and put up flyers for a raw vegan potluck

if you don't want to have it at your house
then you can have it at a park

just tell everyone to bring some raw item

you could cut up some veggies or just bring a melon LOLsmiling smiley

and then eat everyone else's food while they eat your veggies and fruit

depending on how hungry you get

you can facilitate these potlucks once a week or more?

whatever suits your taste

another thing u can do is to volunteer to work in a local farm
in exchange for the stuff they grow

there might be a community based farm in your area

check around

but Davey mason has some real cool ideas as well as the others

Date: August 03, 2008 07:21PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 12) Get a girlfriend or boyfriend to buy food for
> you. I think if a person asks directly, people
> that care about you are usually happy to buy you
> food - if you really need it. There's nothing
> wrong with ASKING for what you need. The worst
> that can happen is some one says no. Heh..heh.

This is a really good point. I've lost count of the times I'm given presents for bdays/xmas that I barely ever use. Being given something related to your choice in lifestyle is so much more useful + cheaper i.e. seeds/plants/tools for gardening, a crate of fresh fruit/veg etc.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 05, 2008 05:58AM

Stick to the seasonal and cost effective items. Banana and green smoothies are cheap and satisfying! If you want fat, use seeds, as they are much cheaper than nuts!

Growing your own sprouts is a great idea! And regularly attending potlucks should help to keep your diet diverse and your taste buds satisfied!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: August 05, 2008 01:10PM

People have a lot of good tips here, especially the potluck one. If I was in your situation I would get a job so I had more money. Is there a reason why you can't work?

Posted by: Duo ()
Date: August 06, 2008 05:38AM

Ask anyone you think might be able to help.
These are things that I have asked for
-WIC for something other than milk eggs cheese, and now get coupons to use on fresh fruits at farmers markets

-doctor for a note stating my allergies. said I was allergic to dairy, so I am able to get more produce than usually allowed at the food bank.

-the co-op produce guy for specials: ie: a whole flat of 1 thing costs way less that 2 of this and 3 of that. PLUS I am really loving being forced to eat Mono-meals.. I dont know that I could do it if it werent for the money situation.

I put an ad in the paper for "free removal of unwanted fruit"... and ate a lot of plums last summer. smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 06, 2008 03:02PM

There are 8 people in my family so I have to be creative.. I buy bananas by the case $20 lasts us for almost a 1/2 week. We freeze what we don't eat fresh, I also buy spinach by the case- when it is on sale- ask the produce guy if you could get a case- I wash it and freeze it. It works great for smoothies this way.
This week I was given a huge amount of produce from someone on freecycle- place an add that you are looking for free garden fresh produce- offer to pull weeds in exchange. A lot of older people like to garden but only have a couple of people to feed.
I also look for sales and buy extra to put in freezer. If you have the place for an extra freezer- but don't have one look on freecycle. I got one from craigslist for free and another for $20!
I agree with Duo that many people have fruit trees and don't know what to do with them- place an ad in freecycle or craigslist. You would be surprised what you could find..
hopes this helps

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 06, 2008 06:09PM

I can't remember the last time I paid full price for bananas. I watch for the "ready to eat" bananas and the store I watch for them in stocks both organic and regular bananas and when they price them for quick sale they are priced at the same bargain price - your choice, so I get the organic ones. ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables