Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Keeping lettuce fresh away from fridge
Posted by: cal_gundert05 ()
Date: August 03, 2008 08:17AM

I'm a student and I work about 20 hours a week, so I do most of my eating away from home. Does anyone have tips on how to keep lettuce from spoiling despite sitting in my backpack, which I often use as a pillow and which gets lots of direct sunlight?

I'd prefer something simple, with minimum waste produced.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keeping lettuce fresh away from fridge
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: August 03, 2008 09:46AM

Where I work we get a lot of stuff that needs to be overnighted and kept cold in transit up to 24 hours using frozen packs or dry ice. Antibodies, DNA primers, stuff like that.

You could get a few of those freezable packs, 2 or 3 of them, out of the freezer and pack them around your greens in a watertight container. The ones we get with our perishables are about 4x6x1 inches. They are not too heavy.

Posted by: flash ()
Date: August 04, 2008 06:24PM

I recommend a soft-side insulated cooler. I just started using mine to keep the hand fruits I sometimes take for lunch from getting bruised in my backpack. I have one with a dry compartment in front that is a bet larger than many I see people use at work. It would be ideal for lettuce by itself, but the freezable packs would fit well with it and keep it cold even longer.

flash

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 04, 2008 07:27PM

You could pre-cut your salads or whatever and put them in a tupperware container and then put them on ice in a soft cooler pack - as mentioned above.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables